Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Healthcare and costs

Healthcare and costs

Old Jun 15th 2010, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

Bookem will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Healthcare and costs

It really depends on how good your medical insurance is. Most US medical insurance policies require that you pay a portion of the fee to visit the doctor. If memory serves I think I paid $10 to visit the doctor recently.
I have received medical treatment in both the UK and USA. I have to say that personally I think I prefer the British system to the American system.
I wish you every success in your Floridian relocation.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only

The question is, if wife falls pregnant, I have no idea of the deductibles, the co-pays etc if I am signing up for the right plan. For instance, the PPO plan we are looking at has

- Annual deductible $350/person $1,050 family maximum
- Out-of-pocket maximum $2,000/person

It also then lists out co-pays etc under categories - Office Visit, Prescription Drugs, Hospital benefits, Emergency and Other Care

So, the question is (I know a bit broad) – if my wife were to fall pregnant what would be the costs involved & what should I look for in a plan to ensure smooth 9 months for her. I am not sure what a typical pregnancy costs here.

Further my understanding is, I have to pay up first 350$ before the insurance kicks in. Then I pay co pays which will accumulate towards the 2000$ out of pocket. After that insurance covers everything? So from that logic, if the pregnancy cost is (below) at a 20% co-pay for “In-hospital physician services, surgeon, assistant surgeon 80% after annual deductible”

$5000 – I pay $350+20%*5000 = 1,350
$10,000 – 350+20%*10000 = 2,350
$20,000 – 350+20%*20,000 = 4,350 however I pay only 2,350 as Out of Pocked max at 2,000.

Is my understanding right? The other thing I need to figure out is what is covered
- Hospital room nightly rates
- Doctors fees (from the date he starts seeing here early in the pregnancy to delivery)
- Epidural injections
At a top level I would say that you are looking at a minimum of $2,000 costs for a pregnancy, taking into account that your out of pocket max is 2K. You are correct that your insurance will not pay for much until you have paid your individual 350 deductible. Having said that insurances have a way of charging for services which don't get applied to your deductible or out of pocket. However I would not think that the costs would be hugely over this amount for a straightforward pregnancy. You should check that your plan covers pregnancy of course (I have a private plan and pregnancy is not covered) and go through the small print for what they consider normal and usual services for pregnancy. Your HR department should have provided you with a Plan Benefits document. Hospital, doctors, and pre and post natal care should all be covered.

Last edited by Bob; Jun 16th 2010 at 12:14 am. Reason: fixing the quote
Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, let me throw in my question if you will.

We have access to employer health insurance fund and are unsure which insurance plan is best for us. We are thinking PPO plan but here is the deal.

Both of us no major health issues so we envisage the odd doctor visit of cold/fever etc. Both of us require Dental but I know dental is sold separately so will make sure we sign on to that.

The question is, if wife falls pregnant, I have no idea of the deductibles, the co-pays etc if I am signing up for the right plan. For instance, the PPO plan we are looking at has

- Annual deductible $350/person $1,050 family maximum
- Out-of-pocket maximum $2,000/person

It also then lists out co-pays etc under categories - Office Visit, Prescription Drugs, Hospital benefits, Emergency and Other Care

So, the question is (I know a bit broad) – if my wife were to fall pregnant what would be the costs involved & what should I look for in a plan to ensure smooth 9 months for her. I am not sure what a typical pregnancy costs here.

Further my understanding is, I have to pay up first 350$ before the insurance kicks in. Then I pay co pays which will accumulate towards the 2000$ out of pocket. After that insurance covers everything? So from that logic, if the pregnancy cost is (below) at a 20% co-pay for “In-hospital physician services, surgeon, assistant surgeon 80% after annual deductible”

$5000 – I pay $350+20%*5000 = 1,350
$10,000 – 350+20%*10000 = 2,350
$20,000 – 350+20%*20,000 = 4,350 however I pay only 2,350 as Out of Pocked max at 2,000.

Is my understanding right? The other thing I need to figure out is what is covered
- Hospital room nightly rates
- Doctors fees (from the date he starts seeing here early in the pregnancy to delivery)
- Epidural injections

Sorry I am new hear so I wanted to confirm and get my understanding right.
Cheers
Check into it. When my wife was pregnant we just had to pay a $20 copay for the entire thing (scans, doctor visits, north, room, drugs, etc) plus all her follow up appointments. It was not subject to the deductible. Pregnancy is usually treated very differently.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:15 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Check into it. When my wife was pregnant we just had to pay a $20 copay for the entire thing (scans, doctor visits, north, room, drugs, etc) plus all her follow up appointments. It was not subject to the deductible. Pregnancy is usually treated very differently.
Yea, ditto. To encourage pre-natal care many plans have a different policy when it comes to pregnancy. Our first child was a $20 copay for the first (of over a dozen) OB visits, and a $20 copay to get into the hospital. That was it. Second child was born under a new insurance plan and we had to pay 10% of the overall cost, which was like $1000
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Yea, ditto. To encourage pre-natal care many plans have a different policy when it comes to pregnancy. Our first child was a $20 copay for the first (of over a dozen) OB visits, and a $20 copay to get into the hospital. That was it. Second child was born under a new insurance plan and we had to pay 10% of the overall cost, which was like $1000
So it would be good to call them and ask specifically how pregnancy is treated? I want clarification on costs on
- 10th week of pregnancy to just before delivery
- Scans etc during the same time
- Other expenses
- Doctor's charges for delivery
- Room in the hospital for the 3-4 days or whatever necessary

The reason I ask all this is in Australia, the system (private health insurance) is very different. It's basically a rip off.

Cheers
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

Can you clarify what you mean by the above (i.e. why not from the first visit to the doctor)? If you join a medical insurance plan DURING pregnancy rather than becoming pregnant while already enrolled in the plan, some plans might go as far as to actually exclude the cost of the pregnancy from your coverage.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's easier, you'll get 48 hours for a natural birth and an extra day for a c-section.

But generally, all those costs are rolled into the doctors co-pay, but depending on the doctor and hospital, there may or may not be a hospital co-pay on top too.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jscl

Can you clarify what you mean by the above (i.e. why not from the first visit to the doctor)? If you join a medical insurance plan DURING pregnancy rather than becoming pregnant while already enrolled in the plan, some plans might go as far as to actually exclude the cost of the pregnancy from your coverage.
Sorry, I meant 1st day of pregnancy. Yes, I don't intend to join on a plan after the fact.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

So it would be good to call them and ask specifically how pregnancy is treated? I want clarification on costs on
- Scans etc during the same time
- Other expenses
- Doctor's charges for delivery
You might not be able to get clarification on the cost from the insurance company. You will be able to get clarification on how they will cover things but if you are subjected to deductibles, co-insurance, % copays and the like you will need to find out how much the services will cost from the doctors and hospital you intend to use. The costs can vary massively depending on who you use.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

You might not be able to get clarification on the cost from the insurance company. You will be able to get clarification on how they will cover things but if you are subjected to deductibles, co-insurance, % copays and the like you will need to find out how much the services will cost from the doctors and hospital you intend to use. The costs can vary massively depending on who you use.
Thanks all, I will be calling the insurance company when I get my info package from employer.

I have asked this before but I keep getting conflicting information. Are the premiums taken out of gross salary before it's taxed? Some say only if it's > 7.5% of salary others say it's tax deductible. Similarly is 401k taken out of gross before it's taxed?
Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have asked this before but I keep getting conflicting information. Are the premiums taken out of gross salary before it's taxed? Some say only if it's > 7.5% of salary others say it's tax deductible. Similarly is 401k taken out of gross before it's taxed?
Premiums are taken from gross salary, they are tax free. The 7.5% tax deduction is for your out of pocket expenses. So when you total up all your co-pays, non-covered things, basically everything your insurance doesn't cover, you can deduct anything over 7.5% of your income. So if you spend $10,000 on non-covered things and 7.5% of your salary would b $7,500 then you can deduct $2,500.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Check and double check every single bill/statement you receive. Over the years I have found a fair few errors that could have cost me a lot of money.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:08 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Check and double check every single bill/statement you receive. Over the years I have found a fair few errors that could have cost me a lot of money.
Absolutely correct! Before my son's Medicaid kicked in, we were constantly receiving bills for double or triple what we should have had to pay. Doctors were billing us before our insurance paid out, which meant we'd write a cheque for some unreasonable amount, fret about it for a few months, and then a refund cheque would arrive in the mail! Finally I just started double-checking all bills we received on our insurance company's website, and didn't pay a single penny until I'd had a statement from our insurance to give a final balance.

It was nice receiving those refunds though ...
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Premiums are taken from gross salary, they are tax free. The 7.5% tax deduction is for your out of pocket expenses. So when you total up all your co-pays, non-covered things, basically everything your insurance doesn't cover, you can deduct anything over 7.5% of your income. So if you spend $10,000 on non-covered things and 7.5% of your salary would b $7,500 then you can deduct $2,500.
Brilliant, thanks for clarifying that. My 401(k) contributions are also taken out of the gross right?
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gingerert
Absolutely correct! Before my son's Medicaid kicked in, we were constantly receiving bills for double or triple what we should have had to pay. Doctors were billing us before our insurance paid out, which meant we'd write a cheque for some unreasonable amount, fret about it for a few months, and then a refund cheque would arrive in the mail! Finally I just started double-checking all bills we received on our insurance company's website, and didn't pay a single penny until I'd had a statement from our insurance to give a final balance.

It was nice receiving those refunds though ...
Clarify this for me - sorry about these questions.

In Australia we have something called Medicare (public health insurance system). We don’t have the concept of copays. For common GP visits, we head to a GP and flash our medicare card  that’s it.

So are you saying here in the States, the co-pay is billed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.