Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Healthcare and costs

Healthcare and costs

Old Jun 17th 2010, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Healthcare and costs

Originally Posted by E3only
So it would be good to call them and ask specifically how pregnancy is treated? I want clarification on costs on
- 10th week of pregnancy to just before delivery
- Scans etc during the same time
- Other expenses
- Doctor's charges for delivery
- Room in the hospital for the 3-4 days or whatever necessary

The reason I ask all this is in Australia, the system (private health insurance) is very different. It's basically a rip off.

Cheers
My brain may well be fried post pregnancy, but I remember that my OB charges were around $4K and then my hospital stay $12k. I had twins, one had a day in the NICU, the other was in the standard nursery. For my NICU baby they charged me $12K and I had to do a co-pay for both her and me ($250 per person). If you are considering starting a family go for the higher priced plan, you do not know what you are going to encounter!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aceastwood
I know you are mostly focused on health insurance, but be aware that dental insurance is usually exactly what insurance should NOT be. It will reimburse you for stuff that you can probably easily afford anyway (cleanings and checkups), but when you start needing more substantial treatment, it covers less and less and then leaves you to pay for everything above typically $1,000. And it is really easy to run up $1,000 of treatment.
But usually its extremely cheap. Our family plan is less than a couple of beers per month and we get the more expensive one! I had a crown a couple of months ago, needed to be done. 795 of which I owe 497. Even though it sucks the amount saved is more than the premium for the whole family for the year.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
My brain may well be fried post pregnancy, but I remember that my OB charges were around $4K and then my hospital stay $12k. I had twins, one had a day in the NICU, the other was in the standard nursery. For my NICU baby they charged me $12K and I had to do a co-pay for both her and me ($250 per person). If you are considering starting a family go for the higher priced plan, you do not know what you are going to encounter!
Thanks, well I am going for an Anthem PPO which is the highest in the PPO plans offered by employer. After that there are HMO plans.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

aceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
But usually its extremely cheap.
Because it doesn't give you much coverage.

Our family plan is less than a couple of beers per month and we get the more expensive one! I had a crown a couple of months ago, needed to be done. 795 of which I owe 497. Even though it sucks the amount saved is more than the premium for the whole family for the year.
Exactly - it sucks even though you didn't need particularly major treatment. As I keep saying, I am not saying do not take dental insurance; I am saying that it doesn't cover you for much so be prepared to pay a hefty amount if you need major treatment.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Thanks, well I am going for an Anthem PPO which is the highest in the PPO plans offered by employer. After that there are HMO plans.
We have an Anthem PPO. Obviously it will be a different to yours but in general they can be pretty decent and the general formulary and network is very good.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 1:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I had a crown a couple of months ago, needed to be done. 795 of which I owe 497.
Heck, I need to come and visit your dentist! I broke a tooth and am in the middle of the crown process -- the cost: $1350. Even though I wouldn't change my dentist, whom I've been seeing for 20 years, I did check around on the price, and it is the going rate around here.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I later found out I could have had it done for less than $50 cash at a dental school.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 1:50 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I later found out I could have had it done for less than $50 cash at a dental school.
Wouldn't be an option -- I have a very hard time dealing with a tray of goo in my mouth when the impression is made and it takes all my dentist's wiles to work out a way to get it done! He and his assistant actually work out a plan of campaign before I arrive . . . I'd put a trainee off for life!
Old Jun 24th 2010, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Bookem will become famous soon enough

I went to the doctor here, near Chicago USA yesterday with what I suspected was a stress fracture of my ankle.
I was not sure if there was a deductible/fee for my doctor visit with my current insurance policy.
There was no charge.
I really couldn’t fault the treatment I called in the morning for an appointment and an hour later the doctor was examining my ankle. He sent me for an x-ray in the same building which took about half an hour. I waited for a further half hour in the waiting room the doctor came out with the x-rays and concluded that the angle was in fact broken and he referred me to Orthopedist located about 5 miles away.
I went to this Orthopedist’s office, a very modern well-equipped facility and again there was no deductible for me to pay, no charge for this visit either.
I was seen by a doctor, his assistant and a student after a 30 minute wait. They concluded that it was in fact not fractured but sprained. They prescribed an anti- inflammatory drug and they also strongly recommended that I take a particular over-the-counter antacid. The antacid or was not covered by the insurance and so I paid $28 for it. The anti- inflammatory was covered by the insurance company and so I paid a $10 deductible for it.
My total out-of-pocket for the injury was $38 +7% purchase tax.
I am sure that to have the same injury treated without insurance would have cost me well in excess of thousand dollars. Maybe even as high as two thousand dollars.
Having not lived in the UK for over 20 years I don’t know how much the same treatment would have cost me out of pocket in the UK.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bookem
I went to the doctor here, near Chicago USA yesterday with what I suspected was a stress fracture of my ankle.
I was not sure if there was a deductible/fee for my doctor visit with my current insurance policy.
There was no charge.
I really couldn’t fault the treatment I called in the morning for an appointment and an hour later the doctor was examining my ankle. He sent me for an x-ray in the same building which took about half an hour. I waited for a further half hour in the waiting room the doctor came out with the x-rays and concluded that the angle was in fact broken and he referred me to Orthopedist located about 5 miles away.
I went to this Orthopedist’s office, a very modern well-equipped facility and again there was no deductible for me to pay, no charge for this visit either.
I was seen by a doctor, his assistant and a student after a 30 minute wait. They concluded that it was in fact not fractured but sprained. They prescribed an anti- inflammatory drug and they also strongly recommended that I take a particular over-the-counter antacid. The antacid or was not covered by the insurance and so I paid $28 for it. The anti- inflammatory was covered by the insurance company and so I paid a $10 deductible for it.
I am sure that to have the same injury treated without insurance would have cost me well in excess of thousand dollars. Maybe even as high as two thousand dollars.
Having not lived in the UK for over 20 years I don’t know how much the same treatment would have cost me out of pocket in the UK.
Thanks for sharing your experience. What insurance plan do you have?
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:00 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

There was no charge.
Are you sure you're not going to receive a bill or two in the post?
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by gingerert
Are you sure you're not going to receive a bill or two in the post?
Yeah, I was wondering that. No charge at the point of service doesn't always mean no charge ever. That only becomes clear when claims are submitted and remittances are received.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

About £7 or whatever prescription drugs cost.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

My husband's work's fancy clinic is like that. When you go there you just pay the co-pay for the doctor, but then whatever else they do - blood tests, x-rays, scans etc - they don't charge you then, they sort it out with the insurance and bill you when they've worked out your proportion of the cost. It's nice at the time, but the bill always comes...!
Old Jun 25th 2010, 1:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There was no charge.
Many patients with healthcare insurance don't pay at point of service...the bills will arrive in the mail. Come back in 3 to 6 months and then tell us how much it's cost you.

You would not have had to pay for any treatment in the UK. Same applies to meds if they were dispensed by the hospital. Prescriptions filled at a chemists cost around $11...zero cost if you are retired, under 18, unemployed, have a chronic illness, are pregnant or have been pregnant in the last 12 months etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.