Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Healthcare Costs

Healthcare Costs

Old Mar 25th 2003, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDonovan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Healthcare Costs

Moving out to Florida later this year. Wondered if anyone could give me a ballpark costing of healthcare costs for a couple in early 40s. I would be interestead in others cost experiences with regards to the sort of premium levels required for a solid comprehensive plan. I would also want to include dental care. On our move it is lightly that we will be self employed so we will have to fund things ourself.
Old Mar 25th 2003, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at this:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...urance+florida

Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 26th 2003, 12:20 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We're just going thru that ourselves now. We had PPP cover when we arrived and we kept it because my wife was pregnant, but now that she's delivered we want to get a local package asap as its a lot cheaper. We're looking at a Unicare package that looks pretty reasonable, at 260/month for 2 adults 2 children, plus (I think) 50/month for dental, which we're probably not going to take yet. If you look at www.ehealthinsurance.com it gives a lot of info on the plans available, likely premium, and also has a useful 'comparison' tool as well.
Old Mar 26th 2003, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

With the high costs of prescriptions in USA, I would suggest you get a package with low copay / no-copay for medicines.

Some antibiotics can cost $150. If you need ongoing medication on a monthly basis, it can be very expensive.
Frank R.
Old Mar 26th 2003, 4:38 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

You're not kidding on the prescriptions! Same on vaccinations too. We spent over $1000 on our new son in his first month - and he wasn't even ill!
Old Mar 26th 2003, 9:36 am
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
If you look at www.ehealthinsurance.com it gives a lot of info on the plans available, likely premium, and also has a useful 'comparison' tool as well.
I found a lot of te information given slightly bewildering. Is there anywhere I can get it translated into British
Old Mar 26th 2003, 1:27 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare Costs

Originally posted by SteveDonovan
Moving out to Florida later this year. Wondered if anyone could give me a ballpark costing of healthcare costs for a couple in early 40s. I would be interestead in others cost experiences with regards to the sort of premium levels required for a solid comprehensive plan. I would also want to include dental care. On our move it is lightly that we will be self employed so we will have to fund things ourself.

Just been to Walgreen's (drug store) 40 antibiotic pill =$459 for wife.... if you have no job arranged, what type of visa are you using.
Old Mar 26th 2003, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

My wife was born in US so we she is citizen and I have citizenship by way of marriage.
Old Mar 26th 2003, 2:04 pm

Originally posted by nxylas
I found a lot of te information given slightly bewildering. Is there anywhere I can get it translated into British
Ha - me too! My wife is USC and she translated lots of it for me - and somewhere in there there's a glossary tool as well. Or was that on the Blue Cross website...can't remember. Do asearch on Blue Cross and you'll find their local website.
Old Mar 26th 2003, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Healthcare Costs

we pay $245 for healthcare and basic dental. for additional dental add about $100 for both. I recommend vista health because they do not have limits of lifetime coverage like most other providers do.
Old Mar 26th 2003, 5:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My wife was born in US so we she is citizen and I have citizenship by way of marriage.

Are you truly a naturalized US citizen or just think you are because your wife is a US citizen?

Rete
Old Mar 26th 2003, 5:33 pm

My wife's a USC too, but I still had to go thru the 'green card' application process to get here - I think it was probably made easier because of her, but I didn't get the impression it was my 'right' from the marriage.
Old Mar 26th 2003, 6:27 pm
Here and Loving it

mark19964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
My wife's a USC too, but I still had to go thru the 'green card' application process to get here - I think it was probably made easier because of her, but I didn't get the impression it was my 'right' from the marriage.
I fully agree with what yorkie says about greencard etc, yes like him also my wife is USC and its a lot easier for an application to go through, 4 months to finish / issue on friday for me. But as yorkie said they make you feel like you have to earn it .
And yes i would say we both apprieciate that fact.
Old Mar 26th 2003, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Can I just clarify that I have never taken for granted that I would get a green card and have gone through the same channels as everyone else does. My question at the beginning of this thread just related to health care. Although I was interested to note that it took just four months as I have just started the process.
Old Apr 1st 2003, 12:43 am
Here and Loving it

mark19964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve,
For ex-pat health cover go to BUPA International,
they have a gold policy for ex-pats living in the US which covers everything except routine dental work, and theres no deductible to pay if you choose( works the same way as surcharge on your car insurance here - windscreen £100 etc, thats what they mean by deductible in US).

To cover myself and wife and 2 kids, £918 per annum and you can pay monthly in dollars or sterling.

This is by far the cheapest ive found tonite, ive spent the last 3 hours scanning health and medical insurance web sites both here and US based - they were expensive. cheapest I got US based was $2,038 per annum plus $500 deductible.

I'll stick with BUPA and save a packet, all the details of policy payout and treatments covered including perscriptions etc on web site.

cheers - mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.