Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health system in USA

Health system in USA

Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health system in USA

Originally Posted by civilservant
How wrong you are..... Medicaid down in GA is for A) Children and B) Seniors that need long term care.

No working age, non disabled adults allowed.
Not available to most Seniors in Mississippi, unfortunately. Neighbor has only an income from social security of $1850 a month. Can't afford supplemental so only has Medicare. Tried to get Medicaid because she needs a knee replacement. Fell and broke the knee cap which was previously replaced. That was last year. Doctor will not replace it because she has no supplemental insurance and her monthly income is over the limit to qualify for Medicaid. Unfortunately, Medicaid is not just federally funded or administered and depends on State funds and requirements.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:51 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NYer
You've got to think with your head and not your heart when you're pulling up roots and going to a foreign country.

Obviously -- but on this forum alone, thread after thread evidences the fact that frequently that is not the case.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 3:02 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Side note: I work for a large company. Every year, they give me a total compensation and benefits statement that covers their actual costs for having me as an employee. I have a PPO that covers me, my wife and two teenaged children. All of us are healthy non-smokers with clean bloodwork. In addition to the PPO, we pay for dental insurance, vision care insurance, LTC/LTD insurance, and about $4mm in life insurance. For all of this coverage, my company is subsidizing $35K a year. My out of pocket is ~$800 per month + co-pays of about $100 per month. That totals over $45K/year! This is problem with coverage in the US: it's ridiculously expensive. That's the problem we need to solve.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I have also been told it was not a major problem in the past but the same can be said of the NHS, I do not recollect the issues, there were NHS dentists etc. And the resources were a lot less.
Before Medicare was enacted in the '60's, 50% of seniors were bankrupted by their first significant illness. So I am very sceptical of the line that there weren't major problems in the past. There were.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, you can rock up at the ER, but they aren't going to pay for A-Fib medicine, or blood pressure medication. Take your pick really. People die because they cannot or do not get routine care.

Is it nice up there in your ivory tower?
Emergency rooms are required to "medically stabilize" you. Nothing more. Yes, some abuse this, but no it absolutely isn't a substitute for reasonable healthcare access.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 3:22 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Emergency rooms are required to "medically stabilize" you. Nothing more. Yes, some abuse this, but no it absolutely isn't a substitute for reasonable healthcare access.
EMTALA works, but it costs providers (including mine) a fortune in write offs.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Obviously -- but on this forum alone, thread after thread evidences the fact that frequently that is not the case.
Even those that try to understand the system before coming here are taken aback at the complexity and costs. Our son was 4 years old when we came over and though we suspected some issues, it wasn't until after living here a year that he was diagnosed with autism (PDD-NOS). Six years later and if we are typical/average parents of autistic children then apparently we're spending $10k a year extra on healthcare than if he wasn't autistic. Not to mention taking him at least once a month to a doctor/psychiatrist/psychologist because nobody will prescribe more than a 30 day supply of meds without seeing him (might be law for controlled drugs, I don't know). Of course there is nobody around here qualified so we have to travel an hour each way, plus allowing for traffic, plus sit in the waiting room for the inevitable late running of the doctor. Lots of time and money.

Had I known how much time I would spend "helping doctor offices correct their billing" (to put it politely), going to said doctors, and paying as much as we do, I would not have come. But you can't turn back time.

RE using ER: as others have said, they will patch up a patient enough to get them back on the street. That is all. Source: ICU RN wife who has raised concerns over releasing of some patients without insurance too early.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Someone in receipt of Social Security Disability payments, which - despite appearances - are not easy or quick to get. It usually takes a couple of years.
While of course there is some abuse, qualifying for Social Security Disability is not a quick process. I have known a few people go through the process.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NYer
Who is dying? Everyone MUST by law be treated at Emergency Rooms. Then they can ignore the bills (plenty of people do), reduce the bills, or get covered by Medicaid or Medicare. I see no one dead on the streets of NYC where I live and we have lots of homeless druggies and mentally ill.

Again, if this is such a problem with America, why are people emigrating here? They need to stay home close to the NHS if that is their priority.
Sure some who have no concern for credit or no job ignore the bills- but if you work, and bill high enough, collection agencies can go after your wages.

Even if one has Medicare, there are still expenses for coverage and prescriptions that some cant afford.

And further even if one has insurance, it can still be expensive covering deductibles and out of pocket expenses - and the incredible percentage of the economy spent on Medical care compared to other developed countries yet a higher percentage of people don't have affordable access to health care.

The situation is so idiotic, I think some expatriates simply can't imagine system so messed up.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 10:23 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
The situation is so idiotic, I think some expatriates simply can't imagine system so messed up.

nail on head.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 11:37 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffylola
Hi
My husband, three kids and I are moving to California this summer and don’t plan to come back.
I’m completely unsure of how health insurance works there.
I’m setting up a business so I’m thinking I could insure all of us through the company expenses.
What happens if you just need to see a GP? Does insurance pay for this or do you pay when she see the GP? Do you register with a local GP like in the UK?
Do you have to pay for children’s vaccinations like polio etc?
Do you have to pay for maternity care or is this covered by insurance?
Thanks
Oh God, she's started this thread again.

There is no healthcare "system" per se, but as you'll be E-2 the answer is go and buy a plan via healthcare.gov These are all private insurance companies, as you won't be eligible for the tax credits you might find it simpler to figure out what plan you want and then call the insurance company directly.

It will not be cheap. And it won't completely cover everything. It is very complex, you have to understand deductibles, co-pays, etc. Prescription drugs are only covered to a limited extent in ACA plans generally. Go to goodrx.com and get the coupons.

BTW, the EB-5 investment limit is going to be raised to $1.8 million at some point in the near future, there are pending regulations for the regional centres but I'll be amazed if they don't apply that limit to regular EB-5 as well at some point soon. And your E-2 business is an existing business, so that money has to be extra money.

Bear in mind the trick with E-2 is that one of you gets an open EAD, so whoever can earn the most money should be the person who gets that and the other person is the principal E-2 investor. That way the person with the EAD can earn money via another job. This will also help mitigate your healthcare problem, because if you get a good job, you will be covered for healthcare through that job.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

The eligibility requirements seem loose to me. But that's just me, of course.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

nail on head.
It is a crazy system- I would be willing to bet that if Americans had a better understanding of how the NHS works in practice there would be enough pressure to change the system in the US. A lot of discussions are about those who are uninsured, but even those with insurance face horrendous financial expenditures at times. How could most expatriates grasp the insanity of the insanity health care system when even Americans find it perplexing as well at times.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

No other country has copied the NHS.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:40 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
No other country has copied the NHS.
Porferic...

As a department head in the nhs, over a 5 year period i had visits from ICT delegations working in health services seeking to emulate our patient processes and systems from:

Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston
Japan
Korea
The Netherlands
Denmark
Norway

Those are the ones i remember.

No system as large as the NHS can be perfect, 1.2 million employees, 200 billion pounds a year, but its outcomes - its bang per buck are undeniably world class.

The cost of the NHS put another way is 800 pounds per user per year. Can you get within a coubtry mile of that? Many civilised countries have a national health service, they tend to cost say 50% more than the uk’s, and in some ways parts of them are definitely better objectively. But none approach the scale and bredth of the NHS.

The busiest database in europe is the central nhs patient record system, 100 million live records, 5000 accesses a second at times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.