Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health system in USA

Health system in USA

Old Apr 19th 2018, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health system in USA

Originally Posted by civilservant
I'm not suggesting that I 'faint when paying for a prescription' either - but then I can afford it.

The fact is that American Healthcare is great, if you have access to it. Those that do not are dying while having their noses pressed up against the glass looking at what they could get if only they 'weren't lazy' or 'pulled themselves up by their bootstraps'

People dying because they can't afford a pill does not reflect well on us as a society.
Who is dying? Everyone MUST by law be treated at Emergency Rooms. Then they can ignore the bills (plenty of people do), reduce the bills, or get covered by Medicaid or Medicare. I see no one dead on the streets of NYC where I live and we have lots of homeless druggies and mentally ill.

Again, if this is such a problem with America, why are people emigrating here? They need to stay home close to the NHS if that is their priority.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Apart from my current cold, I have had hardly any need for anything medical so more what I have seen.

Just as well as my County does not have a Doctor, anything serious and they call a Helicopter, not cheap.

We do not have a Pharmacist either.

Lots of Pot Shops.
In your entire county, there is neither a doctor or pharmacist? I find that hard to believe. Sorry.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I always tell people that the NHS is pretty crap, US is worse.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:01 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NYer
Who is dying? Everyone MUST by law be treated at Emergency Rooms. Then they can ignore the bills (plenty of people do), reduce the bills, or get covered by Medicaid or Medicare. I see no one dead on the streets of NYC where I live and we have lots of homeless druggies and mentally ill.

Again, if this is such a problem with America, why are people emigrating here? They need to stay home close to the NHS if that is their priority.
Perhaps because you live in a liberal state where Medicaid covers everyone I would suggest. Come to GA. It's very different. Many people go uncovered because they are earning minimum wage and cannot afford the premiums. Or they cannot get Medicaid because they are working age.

Sure, you can rock up at the ER, but they aren't going to pay for A-Fib medicine, or blood pressure medication. Take your pick really. People die because they cannot or do not get routine care.

Is it nice up there in your ivory tower?
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

In your entire county, there is neither a doctor or pharmacist? I find that hard to believe. Sorry.
We have a Vet.

Supermarket sells the usual stuff as does the Dollar store.

There used to be a Doctor, she retired. They have being trying to get the Surgery open since.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:04 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Because we care perhaps?
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

Ohh Should have mentioned that as of 2017 there were 2 Counties without a Doctor and 13 without a Hospital, Counties here can be very large. If in the UK my County would be the 4th largest.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:12 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Again, if this is such a problem with America, why are people emigrating here?
Perhaps because, like the OP, they set their hearts on coming here and pay no heed to the situation regarding medical insurance until they are about to or actually do set foot in the country. But the OP appears to be well heeled, so in this instance it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Perhaps because you live in a liberal state where Medicaid covers everyone I would suggest. Come to GA. It's very different. Many people go uncovered because they are earning minimum wage and cannot afford the premiums. Or they cannot get Medicaid because they are working age.

Sure, you can rock up at the ER, but they aren't going to pay for A-Fib medicine, or blood pressure medication. Take your pick really. People die because they cannot or do not get routine care.

Is it nice up there in your ivory tower?
I don't live in an ivory tower. And I was just in the mountains of Georgia while traveling to Alabama and didn't see the streets lined with the dead. Medicaid is FOR people who are of working age, isn't it? Medicare is for seniors. You do have to meet several requirements to be eligible for Medicaid, of course. And it does vary, I suppose, from state to state - which is why one must be careful where one chooses to live.

As for Ivory Tower that I supposedly live in, I was enrolled in Obamacare in 2016, I believe. About $129 a month. I was quite happy with it until January 2017 and my premiums went from $129 to $2,000 - $4,000 a month (I've suppressed the insane number). So much for being a rich, entitled New Yorker...
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:15 pm
Often not so civil...

Medicaid is FOR people who are of working age, isn't it?
How wrong you are..... Medicaid down in GA is for A) Children and B) Seniors that need long term care.

No working age, non disabled adults allowed.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Perhaps because, like the OP, they set their hearts on coming here and pay no heed to the situation regarding medical insurance until they are about to or actually do set foot in the country. But the OP appears to be well heeled, so in this instance it shouldn't be a problem.
You've got to think with your head and not your heart when you're pulling up roots and going to a foreign country.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

How wrong you are..... Medicaid down in GA is for A) Children and B) Seniors that need long term care.

OK. But what does "disabled" mean? Can it mean a chronic illness? Most people tend to think of a disabled person as someone who is blind or lame.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:20 pm
Often not so civil...

OK. But what does "disabled" mean?
Someone in receipt of Social Security Disability payments, which - despite appearances - are not easy or quick to get. It usually takes a couple of years.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Just checked Georgia's Medicaid requirements. "Low income" is clearly stated along with disabled, pregnant and various other allowances. Clearly I'm missing something.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:27 pm
Often not so civil...

Just checked Georgia's Medicaid requirements. "Low income" is clearly stated along with disabled, pregnant and various other allowances. Clearly I'm missing something.
The statement is actually 'if your income is low AND you meet one of the following requirements'

https://dch.georgia.gov/medicaid-faqs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.