Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

the health system or lack of it is driving me crazy!

the health system or lack of it is driving me crazy!

Old Sep 16th 2006, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

swfcfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the health system or lack of it is driving me crazy!

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
With the added twist of "...but should I ever happen to not be alright I want someone to tell me how to scam my way out of it."
er, OK
Old Sep 16th 2006, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

swfcfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
a typical "I'm alright Jack" attitude.
How the **** is this an alright jack attitude? I am merely discussing the healthcare situations for my family.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 6:18 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swfcfan
How the **** is this an alright jack attitude? I am merely discussing the healthcare situations for my family.
It may the second to last line in your original post in this thread (post 189) that annoyed Manc. You want it all but you're not prepared to pay for it when the time comes.

NC Penguin
Old Sep 16th 2006, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swfcfan
You firstly went on how wonderful the US System is.

You then asked how to go about protecting your assets so you did not have to pay for it.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

My son had his teeth sealed (the day after his 15th birthday) at the dentist a couple of weeks ago. I have just found out that my insurance company will only pay for sealants on children under 14 and my son "has aged out". The only problem with that is my son's second molars did not come through until he was 14.

My dentist has written to the insurance company explaining the situation but it looks like I will be forking out $300.00 very shortly.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 12:16 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
You firstly went on how wonderful the US System is.

You then asked how to go about protecting your assets so you did not have to pay for it.
Totally bizarre I thought. He doesn't appear to have much faith in the wonderful system.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 12:19 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
My son had his teeth sealed (the day after his 15th birthday) at the dentist a couple of weeks ago. I have just found out that my insurance company will only pay for sealants on children under 14 and my son "has aged out". The only problem with that is my son's second molars did not come through until he was 14.

My dentist has written to the insurance company explaining the situation but it looks like I will be forking out $300.00 very shortly.

Insurance companies have a mind of their own. Unfortunately they probably won't give two hoots about your situation, sad but true.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 12:21 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't like the sound of those sealants, surely it's better to just keep your teeth clean.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 12:26 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
I don't like the sound of those sealants, surely it's better to just keep your teeth clean.

My boss hates doing sealants on children because it is so easy for them to leak. You get lulled into a false sense of security thinking that you can't get cavities because of the sealants. Then if you do get decay it's usually a while before it is discovered by which time the cavity is quite big.
On the other hand, if they are done well they can be great.
When placing a sealant the tooth has to be bone dry (which is almost impossible to do on a wriggling child!). If there is any moisture present then it will not completely adhere to the tooth and problems will eventually result.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cinnabar
Millions of US citizens don't have health insurance, and those same millions have babies in the US.

How does that work?

Is there some kind of third-class cattle truck sort of hospital they go to, where they have their babies on rushes on the floor?
emergency treatment cannot be refused, however they still owe the hospital a share of the bill

having a baby can cost about ten thousand dollars in hospital fees
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 4:07 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. After reading all fourteen pages of responses to the OPs post, I realized we may not be able to add any new information, but here goes.

Obviously every NHS trust must be different, and there are a lot of cracks in the system. What one person experiences may be the exception, not the rule. However:

This summer my USC fiancee lived in the UK with me for four months. She was there only on a tourist visa, but during the summer she developed a pain in her leg that steadily worsened, and we decided it needed to be seen. We went to my GP and asked if they could see her, and they said as long as she was going to be in the UK for at least three months, they would add her as a permanent patient. She was evaluated by the GP, given presciptions for her pain, and they even told her to come back in two weeks for a referral to a physiotherapist if the pain didn't subside. Within three weeks of the appointment her permanent medical card came in the post.

I'm not arguing about whether it is right or wrong for non-UK citizens to access the NHS for free, just pointing out that it is possible. We did, no questions asked.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 4:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I seem to remember reading that half of the NHS costs in London were from those not entitled.

Your contribution seems pretty minor.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 8:01 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete

This is a typical dental insurance plan coverage clause (I work for a dental office & it's my job to call on benefits). Your dental office should have called your insurance company before your first appointment & got a break down, then they should have done a treatment plan & let you know about anything that isn't covered before any of you had work done. It sounds like it's the fault of your dental office.

Saying that a break down given over the phone is not a guarantee of benefits!
Old Sep 28th 2006, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

well to bring this thread to a lcose i can now tell the end of this story which has a happy ending, well at the moment.
In the end my wife walked into the insurance company office, broke down in tears, told her how bad her day was and somehow managed to sweet talk them into allowing her to stay on my policy until next year!
Because she had missed the enrolment date her current employer they allowed her to be covered under my insurance until the next enrollment in june next year. Technically this shouldnt really quite be possible but with the water works and sob story somehow she convinced them.. she can be very concinving!
so all's well for the time being.
14 week pregnant now
still its veyr easy how easy it is to fall through the cracks

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Wow. After reading all fourteen pages of responses to the OPs post, I realized we may not be able to add any new information, but here goes.

Obviously every NHS trust must be different, and there are a lot of cracks in the system. What one person experiences may be the exception, not the rule. However:

This summer my USC fiancee lived in the UK with me for four months. She was there only on a tourist visa, but during the summer she developed a pain in her leg that steadily worsened, and we decided it needed to be seen. We went to my GP and asked if they could see her, and they said as long as she was going to be in the UK for at least three months, they would add her as a permanent patient. She was evaluated by the GP, given presciptions for her pain, and they even told her to come back in two weeks for a referral to a physiotherapist if the pain didn't subside. Within three weeks of the appointment her permanent medical card came in the post.

I'm not arguing about whether it is right or wrong for non-UK citizens to access the NHS for free, just pointing out that it is possible. We did, no questions asked.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 10:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelman
well to bring this thread to a lcose i can now tell the end of this story which has a happy ending, well at the moment.
In the end my wife walked into the insurance company office, broke down in tears, told her how bad her day was and somehow managed to sweet talk them into allowing her to stay on my policy until next year!
Because she had missed the enrolment date her current employer they allowed her to be covered under my insurance until the next enrollment in june next year. Technically this shouldnt really quite be possible but with the water works and sob story somehow she convinced them.. she can be very concinving!
so all's well for the time being.
14 week pregnant now
still its veyr easy how easy it is to fall through the cracks
Well done...problem solved. Congratulations and good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.