Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health/Medical Insurance

Health/Medical Insurance

Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

flowersinfairyland is just really niceflowersinfairyland is just really niceflowersinfairyland is just really niceflowersinfairyland is just really niceflowersinfairyland is just really niceflowersinfairyland is just really niceflowersinfairyland is just really niceflowersinfairyland is just really nice
Question Health/Medical Insurance

Hi Everyone,

We moved here in November, and originally took out a 6 month extended travel policy to cover us, which is now due to expire.

We need to get Health/Medical insurance, but are unsure wether to get An American policy or a ex pats policy. Is there any difference??

Can anyone recommend either type or offer advice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:24 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health/Medical Insurance

Hello and welcome to BE
do you not get health cover with your job?
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

flowersinfairyland is just really niceflowersinfairyland is just really niceflowersinfairyland is just really niceflowersinfairyland is just really niceflowersinfairyland is just really niceflowersinfairyland is just really niceflowersinfairyland is just really niceflowersinfairyland is just really nice

Hi right back at ya,

Sorry should have given you more info.

We are E2 visa holders and as such had to buy a business to get here. Hence why we now have our own flower shop.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:32 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flowersinfairyland
Hi right back at ya,

Sorry should have given you more info.

We are E2 visa holders and as such had to buy a business to get here. Hence why we now have our own flower shop.
I'm sure someone will be able to give you some info
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,
We moved here in November, and originally took out a 6 month extended travel policy to cover us, which is now due to expire.
We need to get Health/Medical insurance, but are unsure wether to get An American policy or a ex pats policy. Is there any difference??
Well your travel insurance would have been invalidated if you had a claim so that was pointless...

Some companies may not take you on until you have been here
sometime ....
As your in Fl . try www.thefloridaforums.com ...for local advice ..
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Hi Ray,

Why would it be invalidated?

We came out here on a 6 month flight ticket with a valid return flight, and so the cover is valid as i see it.
If we choose to stay after that, then thats our choice, and hence why we now need cover.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:42 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ray,
We came out here on a 6 month flight ticket with a valid return flight, and so the cover is valid as i see it.
If we choose to stay after that, then thats our choice, and hence why we now need cover.
Your intent was not to return ..you have a visa ..it was not a vacation ...
You should know Insurance companies main business is getting out of paying
especially US bills .....
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:49 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Your intent was not to return ..you have a visa ..it was not a vacation ...
You should know Insurance companies main business is getting out of paying
especially US bills .....
Totally concur Ray. the travel Insurance company would have seen the intent and would not have paid out. Imagine if you'd got sick at work or something... Ouch.. Big problem. SInce you didn't need any serious treatment, you lucked out.

Anyway, try Blue Cross Blue Sheild if they are in your area. Especially if you had BUPA in the UK - they worked together when I moved here 11 years ago. Not sure if it's still the case but it made it so easy.

I'd just shop around. Contact your local small business bureau / group where you are. They would have dealt with this before and may know companies who've got special deals. you could go the "company" route or "self employed". Also try you local "british" club if you have one, like the BABG here in Atlanta.

Let us know when you find. I'm running a small 35 man company right now and we have to shop around every single year as the premiums change as frequently as that !!
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

You probably know that health insurance in the US is expensive but for people who are self-employed, it's even more expensive (than those who have health insurance through an employer).

As well as suggestions already given in this thread, please check past threads in this forum for similar threads. Suggestions have been given there too.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Hi Everyone,

The "expats policies' I have seen are not very good. They cap out very limited at around $50,000/100,000 or so. A regular US policy would be more like $1 or $2 million.
Also if you have a big health issue the expat policies work more like travel insurance - they just want to medivac you back home and let the NHS take care of you.

My hubby and I have individual policies with the RegenceBlueCrossBlueShield for our state.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:28 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Your business (which, I know, is your own) can probably get medical insurance for its employees (i.e. you). You should contact some insurance agents and say "we have a small business and we want to offer insurance to our employees--what can you do for us?"

I mention this because your business can deduct the cost of insurance as an expense, whereas you paying out of pocket would not be able to (I believe). That would lower the cost right off the bat (i.e. would you rather the company pay and you have $500 less income, or $500 income, that is taxed at 33%, and then buy insurance with the remainder?).

Second, because it is a business trying to get insurance, and not some 'tom dick or harry' you might get a better rate (as they figure you are offering it to multiple people).

Are you currently using a payroll processor for your business, like paychex or ADP (which is probably the best $50 a month you'll ever spend). Those services also have insurance plans available at pretty competitive rates for small businesses.

I should also note a lot of those travel policies really leave a lot to be desired. Some even say "if cancer, you fly home" (well, not in so many words but basically).

If you are here for the long haul, better get some good insurance.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ray,

All the ones I have seen clearly state that you need to be UK Resident.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

search the big one's -

http://www.cigna.com/

http://www.aetna.com/docfind/index.html

http://www.bcbs.com/