Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance without a SSN

Health Insurance without a SSN

Old Jul 2nd 2014, 9:40 pm
2+2=5

GarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the rough
Default Health Insurance without a SSN

Hi all

I arrived on a CR-1 visa a month ago and still haven't received my social security number. I have been advised to visit the SAA office which I am going to do next week. In the meantime is it possible to obtain health insurance without my SSN? I can't seem to get a straight answer through Google. I'm worried about not being covered.

Also does anyone know of any cheap options for new immigrants? I've heard Insubuy is the best website? I only need short term as I'll be getting added to my wifes in the new year.

Many thanks
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance without a SSN

Originally Posted by GarethB789
In the meantime is it possible to obtain health insurance without my SSN?
With respect, these aren't immigration-related questions. Hopefully a moderator will move your thread to a more appropriate forum.

Ian
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 10:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's possible. Your passport number can be a unique ID number.

Rene
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

Contact "passport America" on line. They provide monthly cover for new immigrants.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 2:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I only need short term as I'll be getting added to my wife's in the new year. .....
Assuming you recently left a job in the UK, you may find that "a spouse leaving or starting a job" is a life event that could enable you to be added to your wife's insurance immediately.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 8:00 pm
2+2=5

GarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the rough

Hi all

Hope you all had a great day yesterday.

Thanks for your answers. Unfortunately I can't get added on to my wifes insurance until the new year.

Update: I called healthcare.gov and they told me that while I can get insurance without an SSN it is not possible to get a government approved one without the SSN. They mentioned that I might be liable to pay the penalty for being uninsured for any part of the year when I file taxes next year. She said as soon as I get my SSN I can get the government approved insurance & that the penalty will be very small as it'll only be 6 weeks or so in the year that I went without being adequately insured.

In the meantime I have got insurance that does not qualify & didn't need an SSN just in case anything happens to me. I got this for 30 days by which time I'll hopefully have my social & can upgrade.

It seems like any new immigrants are kind of in limbo until they get their social and have no way of avoiding the fine.

I honestly don't mind having to pay a small fine but I'm worried that this will result in my green card being revoked. I'm sure this is ridiculous and there is no way that'll happen but I just wondered if anyone on here could put my mind at rest.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by GarethB789; Jul 5th 2014 at 8:02 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Thanks for your answers. Unfortunately I can't get added on to my wifes insurance until the new year.
!
What was the excuse given? I would have thought you have a qualifying event such as but not limited to moving to a new state/ country.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 8:22 pm
2+2=5

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
What was the excuse given? I would have thought you have a qualifying event such as but not limited to moving to a new state/ country.
Apparently it had to be reported in 30 days of me arriving. As myself and my wife didn't think I could be added without my SSN we held off on contacting them. Something we both now regret.

So you don't think not being insured will result in my green card being revoked and deportation do you? I haven't seen anything to indicate this but it's just something I've managed to get stuck in my head!

Cheers
Old Jul 5th 2014, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently it had to be reported in 30 days of me arriving. As myself and my wife didn't think I could be added without my SSN we held off on contacting them. Something we both now regret.

So you don't think not being insured will result in my green card being revoked and deportation do you? I haven't seen anything to indicate this but it's just something I've managed to get stuck in my head!

Cheers
As long as you declare not having insurance when you next do your taxes and pay the penalty. Even then it isn't on a par with commiting a felony.

Two thoughts :
1) I wonder if one could appeal that decision
2) would the event of gaining your ssn somehow count as a qualifying event, it isn't really a change in status but get someone stupid enough tu never know you may convince them.

Last edited by sir_eccles; Jul 5th 2014 at 9:19 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Update: I called healthcare.gov and they told me that while I can get insurance without an SSN it is not possible to get a government approved one without the SSN. They mentioned that I might be liable to pay the penalty for being uninsured for any part of the year when I file taxes next year. She said as soon as I get my SSN I can get the government approved insurance & that the penalty will be very small as it'll only be 6 weeks or so in the year that I went without being adequately insured.

In the meantime I have got insurance that does not qualify & didn't need an SSN just in case anything happens to me. I got this for 30 days by which time I'll hopefully have my social & can upgrade.

It seems like any new immigrants are kind of in limbo until they get their social and have no way of avoiding the fine.

I honestly don't mind having to pay a small fine but I'm worried that this will result in my green card being revoked. I'm sure this is ridiculous and there is no way that'll happen but I just wondered if anyone on here could put my mind at rest.

Thanks guys!
I would check out the waivers bit for the penalty on healthcare.gov if I were you - there are a number of criteria that if you qualify for can you get out of paying the penalty - are you in a job right now or were you when you were eligible to apply? If not, then you could probably argue that you wouldn't have been able to afford one of the options on the marketplace in the first place ...

I would be pushy and try to speak to someone else on the telephone - see if you can get your claim backdated to when you first arrived.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
My son and his wife also were very slow about adding their new born child to their employer based policy and had to wait until open enrolment. Like you they waited more than 30 days.

Not having health insurance is not a crime or even a citation. The government isn't even allowed to enforce the penalty if there isn't a refund due so I suspect in the future, people without health insurance will just make sure they owe the government money at the end of the year instead of having a refund due.

Last edited by Michael; Jul 7th 2014 at 12:20 am.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

If you just go to the SSA office and fill in a new SS-5, then go back the next day they can print you out the number on a sheet while you wait for the actual card.

You certainly cannot be deported for not having health insurance, don't be silly.