British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Health insurance for visiting parents? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/health-insurance-visiting-parents-713867/)

medici786 Apr 19th 2011 11:12 am

Health insurance for visiting parents?

Hi, anybody know a good (and cheap!) insurance provider for visiting parents from the UK? Dad has pre exisiting health problems including heart disease and diabetes.

Thanks in advance.

lisa67 Apr 19th 2011 11:20 am

Re: Health insurance for visiting parents?

Originally Posted by medici786 (Post 9313721)
Hi, anybody know a good (and cheap!) insurance provider for visiting parents from the UK? Dad has pre exisiting health problems including heart disease and diabetes.

Thanks in advance.

Do you want travel insurance. That's what my parents take out when they come. I think they get it through Barclays.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 19th 2011 11:36 am

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 9313729)
Do you want travel insurance. That's what my parents take out when they come. I think they get it through Barclays.

There must be a hundred and one providers.

Adverts all over.

GeoffM Apr 19th 2011 11:57 am

Thanks in advance.

Assuming you mean a temporary trip, ie holiday, then any travel insurance will do as long as it specifically includes the US (many don't, or you pay extra to do so) and they know of the pre-existing.

I get basic cover with my bank account (Lloyds) and had no trouble making a claim for medical expenses. All £130 of it for a 3-day stay in hospital with tests and IVs. Mind you, it wasn't in the US.

Shop around as there are so many variables that what might be cheap/good for one person will be useless/expensive for another.

ottotheboar Apr 19th 2011 12:49 pm

Plenty of providers, just remember to tell your dad to put some insulin / pills in his carry on luggage in case they loose their bags as happened to my parents.

Jerseygirl Apr 19th 2011 12:52 pm

Thanks in advance.

How old are your parents...this will effect the cost and the number of companies that will insure them? My MIL (80's) had the same health issues plus a few more...at her age insurance was difficult to find...it can be done but it was costly.

janette Apr 19th 2011 12:53 pm

My elderly in -laws have visited us fairly regularly and have only had the "free" travel insurance provided by their bank - also Lloyds, as it happens. Both have pre-existing medical conditions. My mother in law actually needed medical treatment last time she was here, which they paid for, but everything was refunded by Lloyds almost as soon as the claim was made. All they had to do was phone up after they had had the treatment, to report the claim and send in the receipts when they got home. I think they had excellent service, much to my surprise, and I know it was far better cover than on the policy I paid for when I went to Europe and broke my arm! (and I know I was also covered on the E111 form at that time, but took out extra cover to be safe)

Duncan Roberts Apr 19th 2011 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by ottotheboar (Post 9313917)
Plenty of providers, just remember to tell your dad to put some insulin / pills in his carry on luggage in case they loose their bags as happened to my parents.

Not some, all. Never put medication or medical supplies in checked baggage.

Bob Apr 19th 2011 10:26 pm

My mother has used travel insurance that she got through the AA, Post Office and from having a Barclays credit card, seemed they were all much of muchness, just depended on which was having a deal at the time.

She's donkeys years old, but other wise very healthy though.

Jerseygirl Apr 19th 2011 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9315118)
My mother has used travel insurance that she got through the AA, Post Office and from having a Barclays credit card, seemed they were all much of muchness, just depended on which was having a deal at the time.

She's donkeys years old, but other wise very healthy though.

I found that many of the high street insurers won't insure over 65...some that will have an age limit of 70...then 75...then 80 etc.

Bob Apr 19th 2011 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9315126)
I found that many of the high street insurers won't insure over 65...some that will have an age limit of 70...then 75...then 80 etc.

My mother hasn't had a problem with those 3 yet, but was told it will probably be more hassle once she hits 75.

Certainly not cheap either way though....and before she hit the 70's, she had loads more options.

Mummy in the foothills Apr 19th 2011 11:52 pm

My Mum is having more difficulty finding the insurance now she's past 70. She's got it from the bank, Age concern, the Police retirement club thing she's part of. But all have gone up and are getting stricter.

Ex Aucklander Apr 19th 2011 11:58 pm

Thanks in advance.

i posted this information in another link on the forum but it is intended for migrants with PR & visitors to NZ including those aged up to 80.

https://www.scti-online.co.nz/visitnz/public.aspx?P=

ukintexas Apr 21st 2011 2:25 am

I've used Saga Insurance for my dad (who is in his 80's) when he's visited before and also had a broker work on some for me here (Houston) the last time he visited. We had a really good deal which we needed as my dad was hospitlized when he was here with us. It paid for itself a hundred times over. Not sure what State you're in.