Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health insurance for visiting mother

Health insurance for visiting mother

Old May 9th 2013, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road
Default Health insurance for visiting mother

My 81yr old mother comes over to visit for a month or so every year. She is finding that getting insurance is more and more expensive and usually gets something very dodgy that scares me!
Does anyone have advice on getting a decent insurance plan at a reasonable price? Is it possible to add her to our plan for a short time?

Any help is appreciated.
Old May 9th 2013, 4:19 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance for visiting mother

I am interested to hear too, my mother is only 2 years behind yours.
Old May 9th 2013, 4:28 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Some plans have a provision for a "Dependent Parent" but given her lack of US history and advanced age, it would likely cost a considerable sum. Travel insurance is probably your only option, buying it from the UK and not seeking a plan here in the USA.
Old May 9th 2013, 4:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The older one gets the more difficult it is to obtain travel insurance to the US. There are companies....but it will cost. I insured my 80+ yr old MIL a couple of years ago...cost about $1K for 2 weeks. I don't have access to the link at the moment but will post to tomorrow.
Old May 9th 2013, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mother has now passed away, but she went through the usual sources, it seem to vary year by year. Try MoneySavingExpert.

I know the last time there was not much difference between the air fare and the insurance.
Old May 11th 2013, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

Try "Patriot America". They do travel insurance and cover for new immigrants to the US.
Old May 11th 2013, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

My mum gets her travel insurance from Liverpool Victoria. She's in her mid seventies with a variety of mild ongoing conditions and she seems to get a good deal. Mind you, she holidays in continental Europe, that will affect the cost.

Worth a try though. Plus, the people on the other end of the phone are in the UK, which is important to her as she finds it very difficult to understand the accent of callers when the help centres are in India.
Old May 11th 2013, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BlightyBoy
My 81yr old mother comes over to visit for a month or so every year. She is finding that getting insurance is more and more expensive and usually gets something very dodgy that scares me!
Does anyone have advice on getting a decent insurance plan at a reasonable price? Is it possible to add her to our plan for a short time?

Any help is appreciated.
I agree that travel insurance bought in the UK is by far your best bet.
I did a quick google and came up with this company.
The quote is based on someone of your mothers age, resident in the UK, traveling to the US for the month of July.

http://www.travelinsurancemedical.co.uk/quote/results

You should probably shop around though to see which policy provides the most comprehensive coverage.

Here's the relevant page on moneysupermarket.com

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance/

and confused.com

https://travelinsurance.confused.com...iatenumber=199

My advice to you, seriously, is don't cut any corners at all when it comes to health insurance coverage in the US.
Even a quick trip to the ER with a funny tummy or for a few stitches can result in a bill of thousands of dollars and anything more serious does not bear thinking about.
Trust me, I know.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 3:41 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Does anybody have an update on this thread, as my mother who will be 82 when she travels is coming out to AZ for four weeks in December and I am looking for travel insurance for her.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 5:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What sort of update?
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

jean1947 is an unknown quantity at this point

Staysure.co.uk

0844 692 8444

they advertise on tv