British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Health Insurance - Urgent Help ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/health-insurance-urgent-help-521502/)

wisewol Mar 13th 2008 7:34 pm

Health Insurance - Urgent Help !

Hi sorry to post again about insurance but I am having real problems. As a returning US citizen having been out of the country for more than 1yr (41 to be precise) all the insurance companies I have contacted so far will not cover me, the only suggestion I have been given is to find out about travel insurance but surely some of you must have go cover when you returned from living abroad. I ahve had no prob getting insurance for OH as he is an immigrant.
I am obviously worried as I am sitting here with no insurance and prob enough savings to help with a bee sting !!!! I currently do hold some travel insurance from the UK BUT they told me if I lived here it would not be effective although they did say if I had a return flight I was covered for flight etc out here. I do currently have a return flight just coz it was cheaper to buy return than single and date booked for that is dec 08.

Any suggestion and help much appreciated

Poppy girl Mar 13th 2008 9:02 pm

Re: Health Insurance - Urgent Help !

Originally Posted by wisewol (Post 6059097)
Hi sorry to post again about insurance but I am having real problems. As a returning US citizen having been out of the country for more than 1yr (41 to be precise) all the insurance companies I have contacted so far will not cover me, the only suggestion I have been given is to find out about travel insurance but surely some of you must have go cover when you returned from living abroad. I ahve had no prob getting insurance for OH as he is an immigrant.
I am obviously worried as I am sitting here with no insurance and prob enough savings to help with a bee sting !!!! I currently do hold some travel insurance from the UK BUT they told me if I lived here it would not be effective although they did say if I had a return flight I was covered for flight etc out here. I do currently have a return flight just coz it was cheaper to buy return than single and date booked for that is dec 08.

Go to the yellow pages find an Insurance Broker go and sit in thier office with them and don't leave until you get something I refuse to believe there is no one that wants your money.

At least that way they are doing the running around and its not you calling about individual companies.

naomi Mar 13th 2008 9:05 pm

Have you been looking at Individual and Family insurance plans? I don't know your age or where you'll be living etc., but this Web site might help:

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi...IDUAL+040406+1

Poppy girl Mar 13th 2008 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by naomi (Post 6059605)
Have you been looking at Individual and Family insurance plans? I don't know your age or where you'll be living etc., but this Web site might help:

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi...IDUAL+040406+1

The problem with the above mentioned web-site is that you get a rep thats does not give a damn, a few weeks back I treid all these online plans and got nowhere because you really need an individual to sit down with you and go through the ins and outs of the policys, plus you can go and see the broker as and when you have questions, I also stated before and its so true that getting health insurance and filling out the forms is worthy of a degree, get a broker to do the dirty work it cost's no more then if you bought online.

Ray Mar 13th 2008 9:48 pm

If you in Florida make sure you only talk to someone with
a Florida 2-15 licence

Bob Mar 13th 2008 10:25 pm

get a job?

Ozzidoc Mar 13th 2008 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 6059951)
get a job?

LOL - that's a good option.

(Bob - I'm going to start watching your post counts now ;) )

penguinsix Mar 13th 2008 11:05 pm

If you have any children in the US they might be able to add you to their existing family plan as a 'dependent parent'. Some plans allow for that. You might also look at Medicare if you are of age for some benefits.

Bob Mar 13th 2008 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 6059969)
LOL - that's a good option.

(Bob - I'm going to start watching your post counts now ;) )

:p

I'm on holiday, for a few days at least...it sounds better till it sinks in :D

Manc Mar 13th 2008 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by wisewol (Post 6059097)

http://www.assuranthealthshortterm.c...pi&sptype=osmx

scotch03 Mar 14th 2008 1:21 am

Call ehealth.com - if you don't like the sales rep ask for Bob Hurley - I can assure you that you will be looked after.

wisewol Mar 14th 2008 1:44 am

ehealth were one of the ones that refused me, said the only company he knew of was vista and there are no plans in this area which is a ray correctly worked out, Florida, Orlando to be precise. Will find a broker tomorrow think that sounds like a plan. I am hoping to get insurance through work but thought it wise to cover myself for a couple of months as often insurance won't kick in for 1st 3 months.

RoadWarriorFromLP Mar 14th 2008 2:35 am

Tell them that you are self-employed. If you are healthy, in reasonable shape and have no or just minor pre-existing conditions, you should have no problems getting an insurance policy of some sort, although the price may or may not be optimal.

Find an insurance broker who specializes in dealing with self-employed individuals and formerly employed workers who are trying to find an alternative to COBRA.

Like it or not, underwriting takes time. Getting a policy can take a couple of months. A good broker should be able to advise you about different underwriting/ approval standards, and will lobby to get you a policy. (If you don't buy a policy, the broker doesn't get paid, so a good one should be motivated to help you.)

Perhaps you aren't making your needs clear. If they are trying to sell you a travel insurance policy, then they must believe that you intend to be outside of the US.

Poppy girl Mar 14th 2008 3:28 am

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP (Post 6060699)
Tell them that you are self-employed. If you are healthy, in reasonable shape and have no or just minor pre-existing conditions, you should have no problems getting an insurance policy of some sort, although the price may or may not be optimal.

Find an insurance broker who specializes in dealing with self-employed individuals and formerly employed workers who are trying to find an alternative to COBRA.

Like it or not, underwriting takes time. Getting a policy can take a couple of months. A good broker should be able to advise you about different underwriting/ approval standards, and will lobby to get you a policy. (If you don't buy a policy, the broker doesn't get paid, so a good one should be motivated to help you.)

Perhaps you aren't making your needs clear. If they are trying to sell you a travel insurance policy, then they must believe that you intend to be outside of the US.

Mine is an individual PPO Plan and it took 2 weeks in total to go through after it had been to the under writers and UK medical was checked also.