British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Health Insurance Too Easy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/health-insurance-too-easy-768229/)

lansbury Aug 13th 2012 8:48 pm

Health Insurance Too Easy

My current insurer wants to dramatically cut the number of providers they use, and effectively limit me to using Adventist Health Care. This would mean I would have to chance primary care doctors and couldn't use the hospital in our city. So I decided to change insurers to Providence as they run the hospital and my doctor is in their network.

Went on line, filled out the application and two days later accepted, to start September 1st. Called current provider and cancelled from August 31st. It all seems to easy, it can't be that simple, with 10% cheaper premium for better cover as well. Now I'm waiting to see what the catch is.

Michael Aug 13th 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Health Insurance Too Easy

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 10225722)
My current insurer wants to dramatically cut the number of providers they use, and effectively limit me to using Adventist Health Care. This would mean I would have to chance primary care doctors and couldn't use the hospital in our city. So I decided to change insurers to Providence as they run the hospital and my doctor is in their network.

Went on line, filled out the application and two days later accepted, to start September 1st. Called current provider and cancelled from August 31st. It all seems to easy, it can't be that simple, with 10% cheaper premium for better cover as well. Now I'm waiting to see what the catch is.

Are you sure you were accepted and not just accepted upon review? It took about a month and a half to receive my denial.

SanDiegogirl Aug 13th 2012 10:08 pm

While that does seem very quick, if you have received your confirmation of acceptance letter, together with confirmation of premium and start date, then you can only assume that you have been accepted.

You could always call them to confirm.

Presume that you have not yet received your policy document?

Bob Aug 14th 2012 12:01 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 10225722)
...Now I'm waiting to see what the catch is.

They jack the price up to match upon renewal, or they drop you and refund your premiums in the event that you make a large claim?

Though aren't you in the state high risk pool? So that would surely limit those kind of shenanigans.

lansbury Aug 14th 2012 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10225758)
Are you sure you were accepted and not just accepted upon review? It took about a month and a half to receive my denial.

Received an acceptance email, which if I wished to accept the insurance I had to pay the first premium, which I did. Have received a membership card with my ID on the start date. is September 1st.

lansbury Aug 14th 2012 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10225992)
They jack the price up to match upon renewal, or they drop you and refund your premiums in the event that you make a large claim?

Though aren't you in the state high risk pool? So that would surely limit those kind of shenanigans.

No that's the wife. They did say in the offer of insurance that the annual price rise will be November 1, but my old insurance goes up a month later anyway.

Good things is only need it for 8 months than I can get Medicare, and Providence is one of the only two Medicare supplement plans my doctor accepts. The other being AARP.

lansbury Aug 14th 2012 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 10225865)
While that does seem very quick, if you have received your confirmation of acceptance letter, together with confirmation of premium and start date, then you can only assume that you have been accepted.

You could always call them to confirm.

Presume that you have not yet received your policy document?

The policy document, and about four other documents, are available online from a link in the acceptance email. I called to double check, accepted from September 1.

avanutria Aug 14th 2012 8:57 pm

I've got Providence through my employer and have been happy with them for the most part, and I believe Oregon has been one of the more proactive states regarding implementing the affordable care act stuff...so maybe it IS that easy!