Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

health insurance small business

health insurance small business

Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:34 am
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: health insurance small business

Hi DeepBlueSea
I run a business in the US and although not obligated to do so, I do provide health and dental at 100% coverage by the company. I decided to do it as I myself had been so freaked out by healthcare when I arrived, I didn't want my staff having that worry. The loyalty and retention it has developed amongst my team is fab and I wouldn't have it any other way! Having said that, I did look at reducing the 100% company cost during these rather volatile economic waters (which I didn't do in the end), but the minimum I would have been able to drop it to would have been a 50% contribution. I pay on average about $250 a month per staff member for health, and about $25 on dental. We have a $5,000 ER deductible but all other co-pays are reasonable. About $30 to see a Doc and about the same for prescriptions. It's treated us all well so far. It's with Humana, who you'll be able to check out online. Hope this helps you get your head around figures a little bit more.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

deepbluesea is an unknown quantity at this point

ukintexas - Thanks so much for this - it's really helpful. $250 a month per employee is manageable. Do you include yourself in the scheme as a company employee?

I'm very much cheered by this. I had convinced myself that the figures would be closer to $1000 per staff member.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

Medical insurance is assessed based on age and zip code of employee - at least it is here in California (probably one of the more expensive states) for 9 employees we pay a total of $5,541 .. although each employee pays 25% of their premium through payroll deductions, so a net of $4,617.75.

We pay 100% for the owners, one of the owners and his wife are both over 60, their premium alone is $1,259.00 a month.

We are a small employer of 13, and the medical insurance we offer is Blue Shield HMO. If an employee want to chose PPO then they pay the 25% plus the difference between the HMO and the PPO premium.

HTH

Dawn

PS: Don't forget you'll need workers compensation insurance, ours is approx $3,800 a year .. yours might be a higher classifcation (i.e., employees more at risk of injuries and accidents) since our office is purely sedentary. You'll also need liability insurance.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
you're not obligated.
In Mass he would be with over 10 people...it could still be utter spank though.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deepbluesea
At the moment the parents are paying $200 a week...
where is this place? that's about half the going rate for part time where I"m at.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:20 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
where is this place? that's about half the going rate for part time where I"m at.
I think he said Minnesota.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I think he said Minnesota.
oh well, you can't have everything lol
Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:19 am
Just Joined

edgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really nice

You can also look into the plans offered through your local Chamber of Commerce. Some of those use the Chamber Members to create a sizable group insurance plan.
I run a small business in Connecticut (capital Hartford - the insurance center) our insurance rules are a bit different from the rest of the country...
Head, feet, eyes and teeth may not be covered!