Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health insurance with preexisting condition - immigration to USA

Health insurance with preexisting condition - immigration to USA

Old Dec 7th 2016, 12:45 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance with preexisting condition - immigration to USA

Originally Posted by adamas
Thanks everyone. I will start inquiring with the HR and the insurance company.

What I know already is that there is a 60 days waiting period before enrollment, so I would have to find a short-term insurance in the meantime.
Were you in the same situation when you moved to the USA? Do you have any advice on short-term policies? I am aware already that none of these would cover pre-existing conditions anyway, but it is an acceptable risk for me as long as it is just for 60 days.
Waiting period is standard. Normally, at least in my working world, it was 90 days, not 60 days. Why? Because this is the honeymoon period of employment. If you don't measure up during that time, your employment will be terminated.

Not attempting to scare you as I don't know if this holds true for work visa employees.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 1:09 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
This is the first I've heard of this rebate from the drug company scenario. With a cost of over $250 a month in drug co-pays for diabetes and glaucoma, I would welcome a rebate since I am living on a fixed income.
ask your doctor if they have any rebate cards for your drugs, go to Rx.com they quite often have them there and try the drug manufacturer website too. They won't have them for the generics obviously but if you can get rebate cards then you might be better off using the branded drugs. Which is why they have them of course.

A final note, if you use medicaid then you can't use these rebate cards
Old Dec 7th 2016, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

This is the first I've heard of this rebate from the drug company scenario. With a cost of over $250 a month in drug co-pays for diabetes and glaucoma, I would welcome a rebate since I am living on a fixed income.
Never heard of this, I wonder how much the rebate is- and whether the receiver is skirting the rules about deductibles. If I pay X to a doctor that I apply against my deductible, and then doctor writes me a check back for some amount, I am fairly certain insurance company would consider that a form of fraud.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Waiting period is standard. Normally, at least in my working world, it was 90 days, not 60 days. Why? Because this is the honeymoon period of employment. If you don't measure up during that time, your employment will be terminated.

Not attempting to scare you as I don't know if this holds true for work visa employees.
It may depend on size of companies and where located. Locally smaller companies have more waiting periods, several large companies coverage starts on day 1.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Never heard of this, I wonder how much the rebate is- and whether the receiver is skirting the rules about deductibles. If I pay X to a doctor that I apply against my deductible, and then doctor writes me a check back for some amount, I am fairly certain insurance company would consider that a form of fraud.
In my experience it does not involve the doctor paying back. My OH got a drug manufacturer rebate card on which she paid $10 per prescription for an extremely expensive drug. The deal lasted for a year. I'm not sure exactly how it works but her insurance company was party to the arrangement.