Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance over age 65

Health Insurance over age 65

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 4:13 am
Just Joined

coppercat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance over age 65

I know there is some mention on other threads but would like to know if anyone from the UK in the US over age 65, looking for gap insurance until eligible for Medicare has any knowledge of "The Bridge Plan" for U.S. residents awaiting Medicare eligibility and is underwriten by Petersen International Underwirters Lloy's Coverholder. Thanks, Cathy
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 9:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance over age 65

What's your status in the US?

Generally, get a job that provides insurance because unless you've got the 40 quarters of work, your kind of out of luck unless you can tag onto a spouse.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 1:48 am
Just Joined

coppercat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi bob, its my fiance' who is over 65 that is in the process of immigrating to the US. I had talked to an insurance agent several months ago and this is what he recommended short of adding him on to my work insurance. (however I have other health insurance and am not on city insurance so i would have to apply then add him and cannot add him on to my current insurance) and thought perhaps The Bridge Gap Plan might be sufficient as he does not have any health problems at least not now.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Get a job, it's his best option, that or not moving to the US.

It's the worst time to be moving to the US really...but there are old threads that might have more info, but generally speaking even if you found a plan to cover him, it'll generally be prohibitively expensive.

Thing is, even if you tacked him on to your insurance, he won't be eligible for Medicare till he's been a permanent resident for at least 5 years, paying the extra bits on that are also going to be really expensive, which leaves getting a job being the best realistic thing to do.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems pretty standard limited coverage.

Somebody over 65 will have a hard job getting a job, one with Insurance, we;; that is a big ask.

Adding him to yours would be the best bet.