Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health insurance over 65's

Health insurance over 65's

Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

scorbyusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health insurance over 65's

This might be a stupid question, but I would appreciate any help you can offer. My parents are British and pending immigrants to the US. They will both be over 65 when they finally get here. They are having a real struggle finding any quotes for health insurance. Any suggestions on legitimate companies or experiences you might have had, good or bad?

Thanks,

Simon
Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:22 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Health insurance over 65's

Originally posted by scorbyusa
This might be a stupid question, but I would appreciate any help you can offer. My parents are British and pending immigrants to the US. They will both be over 65 when they finally get here. They are having a real struggle finding any quotes for health insurance. Any suggestions on legitimate companies or experiences you might have had, good or bad?

Thanks,

Simon
You may have very big problems with that.

The abscence of insurance companies willing to cover over 65's is the reason that medicare exists but as recent immigrants they wont qualify for it, you need to be a US citizen or have paid over 10 years of payroll contributions.

They should think very carefully about this one major illness and they will be bankrupt. This is a hard society where you take care of yourself or you go to the walll its no place for the young, sick, or old. IMHO.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:55 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

Simon
Why are they coming to the USA if they will not be able to look after themselves financially should they go into hospital.

Also Long Term Care should they need a nursing home.........

I would strongly encourage them to stay well away from the USA unless on a holiday.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

dave4180 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,

Simon
Hi Simon,
I can probably help your parents with this.
Have them give call me in the UK on 0870-330-0016 or check out www.expatriate-insurance.com

Cheers

Dave.