Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health insurance options in USA for UK citizen?

Health insurance options in USA for UK citizen?

Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Voxtrot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health insurance options in USA for UK citizen?

Hi! I'm American and my husband is from the UK. We're moving to the US after 5 years living in Europe. We plan on staying in the US long-term. We're both self-employed, and I've been trying to find health insurance for us to purchase. Because we're both healthy and in our 30's, I was thinking the best option would be a high deductible health plan ($10,000 combined deductible) that we'd use with a Health Savings Account. The problem is, I can't find any companies that will insure him! It seems that even for healthy people who are legally immigrating to America and paying for their own health insurance, there's no way to get even the bare minimum of coverage during the first five year! Does anyone know of any specific insurance companies that cover new, legal immigrants??? Help!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance options in USA for UK citizen?

phone Blue Cross Blue shield and ask for a "temporary cover" policy. Speak to an agent and explain to them and they will sort it out.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

One dodgy idea might be the IGDA, they don't vet membership so you can pretend to be a game developer and stump $50 a year membership and apply for the group medical membership, get group plan rates.

Not valid in certain states such as MA nor a handful of mostly new england states though.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Kentucky - Green Card came 2 months after marrying! :D
ajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voxtrot
Hi! I'm American and my husband is from the UK. We're moving to the US after 5 years living in Europe. We plan on staying in the US long-term. We're both self-employed, and I've been trying to find health insurance for us to purchase. Because we're both healthy and in our 30's, I was thinking the best option would be a high deductible health plan ($10,000 combined deductible) that we'd use with a Health Savings Account. The problem is, I can't find any companies that will insure him! It seems that even for healthy people who are legally immigrating to America and paying for their own health insurance, there's no way to get even the bare minimum of coverage during the first five year! Does anyone know of any specific insurance companies that cover new, legal immigrants??? Help!
Hello,

When I first moved here (on K1 Visa and applying for jobs) I used 'Seven Corners'. It's for travellers or intemediary people like me or your husband. I am guessing you have been through whatever visa process already? I had that insurance (low benefits high deductible) for a few months, then when I got Anthem BCBS individual it was fine. I provided proof of prior coverage (Seven Corners) and also stated that I was covered under NHS in UK prior to entry to USA.

Good Luck
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voxtrot
We didn't run into this problem when my husband entered as a Permanent Resident.. are you getting his visa before you come over? (caveat: my initial insurance shopping experience is over 5 years old now & the world changes)

You can shop on this site, for the state where you'll be living: http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

You may want to make sure that you show he has had previous coverage (which he should, through NHS or the version of in the country you've been living in).
The companies that are available to you will vary by the state you'll be living in.. where are you headed?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Which European country?

Might be some useful info in this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ntinuous+cover