British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Health insurance options (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/health-insurance-options-870952/)

CorinnaCrackles Jan 19th 2016 4:20 pm

Health insurance options

Anybody know any good health insurance options for a brit living legally in the US. Came in on a k1 visa but now married and am sending off my adjustment of status this weekend once I have all documents.

I am a healthy 23 year old with no ongoing illnesses.

I live in VA.

Any help will be amazing. Thanks.

Noorah101 Jan 19th 2016 4:23 pm

Re: Health insurance options

I take it you are somehow not eligible to be on your spouse's insurance?

Rene

sir_eccles Jan 19th 2016 4:44 pm

www.healthcare.gov

Pulaski Jan 19th 2016 5:30 pm

Whatever route you take to getting coverage, IMO it is likely that high deductible coverage would be well suited for you. If you have several thousand dollars of available funds (savings or credit) a high deductible policy would be "ideal" for you, not merely "well suited".

thinbrit Jan 19th 2016 5:54 pm

Remember, it could cost you just as much to not have health coverage as it does to have coverage this year, thanks Obama.

https://www.healthcare.gov/fees/fee-...being-covered/

The fee for not having health insurance in 2016

The fee is calculated 2 different ways – as a percentage of your household income, and per person. You’ll pay whichever is higher.

Percentage of income

2.5% of household income
Maximum: Total yearly premium for the national average price of a Bronze plan sold through the Marketplace
Per person

$695 per adult
$347.50 per child under 18
Maximum: $2,085

CorinnaCrackles Jan 20th 2016 11:24 am

Thanks for the advice everyone (also sorry for the late reply)

I just wasn't sure about whether I could go on my husbands as I haven't got my green card yet. My understanding is that most companies only allow green card holders. I thought there was a temporary one I needed...

I'm phoning up anthem (his insurance company) today to ask if they allow someone who is awaiting their green card.

MidAtlantic Jan 20th 2016 11:38 am

Originally Posted by CorinnaCrackles (Post 11843016)
I'm phoning up anthem (his insurance company) today to ask if they allow someone who is awaiting their green card.

It would probably be better for your husband to ask his employer.

Pulaski Jan 20th 2016 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by CorinnaCrackles (Post 11843016)
Thanks for the advice everyone (also sorry for the late reply)

I just wasn't sure about whether I could go on my husbands as I haven't got my green card yet. My understanding is that most companies only allow green card holders. I thought there was a temporary one I needed...

Don't you have your SSN yet? That should be sufficient, and lack of an SSN is often reported as the stumbling block to getting on a spouse's insurance.

CorinnaCrackles Jan 20th 2016 12:52 pm

He works in a small business so he doesn't get health insurance from his employer.

Yeah I have a SSN...got it as soon as I arrived but it's got my maiden name still on it as I got it before we married.

Pulaski Jan 20th 2016 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by CorinnaCrackles (Post 11843065)
He works in a small business so he doesn't get health insurance from his employer.

Yeah I have a SSN...got it as soon as I arrived but it's got my maiden name still on it as I got it before we married.

Don't tell them you're on a green card, it's irrelevant. You're married, you have a SSN, that should be sufficient. Even having your SSN linked to your maiden name is a non-issue as some women choose not to take their husband's name.

CorinnaCrackles Jan 20th 2016 12:59 pm

Thanks so much Pulaski!!!

Brilliant news! I'll get on it!;D

nun Jan 20th 2016 2:33 pm

What does your husband do for insurance? your first option is to get on his insurance.

The basic options you have are:

workplace/employer insurance (this doesn't seem to be an option for you right now)
ACA insurance you buy through healthcare.gov
Medicaid because of low income.

CorinnaCrackles Jan 20th 2016 4:14 pm

Yes nun.

Thank you. Will get on his hopefully:) He's with anthem health insurance.

Duncan Roberts Jan 20th 2016 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by CorinnaCrackles (Post 11843075)
Thanks so much Pulaski!!! Brilliant news! I'll get on it!;D

Hopefully you haven't waited too long, there is a short time limit to get added after you get married.

CorinnaCrackles Jan 20th 2016 11:49 pm

what is the time limit? 8th January married.