Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance for Non US Residents

Health Insurance for Non US Residents

Old Jun 18th 2017, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Lilo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance for Non US Residents

I plan to visit the US for 6 months while we're waiting for our K1 visa to process and might become pregnant during that time.

Is there any health insurance that I could get that would cover me for pregnancy checkups?
Old Jun 18th 2017, 6:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance for Non US Residents

Originally Posted by Lilo
I plan to visit the US for 6 months while we're waiting for our K1 visa to process and might become pregnant during that time.
Do you already have a B-2 visa in your passport?

Is there any health insurance that I could get that would cover me for pregnancy checkups?
It will be very expensive, if possible at all. I suggest using protection and NOT getting pregnant until after you have entered the USA on the K-1 visa and have your green card in hand. Getting pregnant any other time could lead to problems in timing with your visa interview, possible inability to travel to the USA in time to use the K-1 visa. Personally, I'd wait until I know for sure I can remain in the USA after the baby is born.

Rene
Old Jun 18th 2017, 6:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Getting pregnant and staying for months in the US might cause you a huge issue. What if you can't fly, either because you are medically unfit to fly or airlines refuse to fly you, but you need to either leave the US because you are out of time, or you need to attend an interview outside the US? ..... What if you give birth, perhaps prematurely, and have to leave the US but can't take your baby - either no passport or your baby is medically unfit to fly?

In short, don't get pregnant while your visa status is unresolved!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 18th 2017 at 8:01 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:28 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Based on previous posts, the OP has a B2. Although this has been the longest K-1 process in history - they started it in 2015. I'm not sure why there has been such a delay.

Although you have a B-2 that allows you to stay up to 6 months, the actual duration of your stay is determined by the CBP officer at the airport when you arrive. He may not be feeling generous and decide that 2 weeks is enough for a holiday.

What's the rush to get pregnant now anyway? Why not just wait until you are settled and living here permanently with proper healthcare? This is the life of your child we are talking about, not a dental check up. Surely you want the best possible start to your child's life?
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Based on previous posts, the OP has a B2. Although this has been the longest K-1 process in history - they started it in 2015. I'm not sure why there has been such a delay.
Lilo started the research in 2015, asked lots of questions in September of 2016, her USC fiancée finally filed in December 2016 and Lilo wrote that come February 2017 the check had not been cashed and that they have not received any NOA.

Lilo posts once every few months and sometimes does not come back to respond to her initiated thread or to update the forum on their application status.

At this point, we have no way of knowing, until she tells us, whether USCIS has accepted the application, has it cleared the service center, is it on its way to London, etc.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... might become pregnant during that time.
Don't be an idiot.

Ian
Old Jun 18th 2017, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Lilo is an unknown quantity at this point

USCIS received the package but has still not processed it.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

As a visitor you won't get any US health insurance company to cover you.

You can get travel insurance but they won't cover pregnancy.

..... and you can't stay for 6 months unless you have a B1/2 visa.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 10:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

USCIS received the package but has still not processed it.
They have cashed the check and your finance has received the first Notice of Action (NOA)? What was the date on the NOA? By my calculations it has only been approximately 4 months (since February 2017) that the I-129F has been in the works for processing. Give it until July and have your USC fiancée contact his political representation to check into why it is taking so long to be adjudicated in the US before being sent to the US Consulate in London.