British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Health Insurance For Newly Arrived Permanent Resident (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/health-insurance-newly-arrived-permanent-resident-902855/)

Tawn26 Sep 3rd 2017 7:48 pm

Health Insurance For Newly Arrived Permanent Resident

Hello wise ones!

We are 2 weeks out from our big move to WA state. Myself (USC) and two daughters (dual USC/UKC) will look into Medicaid and try to access coverage through the marketplace (the website keeps locking me out so having a terrible time of it).

But as I understand my husband (UKC with IR1 visa) will not be eligible for Medicaid. What are his options for coverage until he gains insurance through whatever employment he finds once we land? I read the article at the BE homepage that suggest travel insurance as a temporary cover, but doesn't travel insurance require you to be a PR of departure country (aka UK) to be valid?

If not travel insurance, are there any other options other than him being without health insurance coverage until finding employment?

Thank you!

Havnfun Sep 3rd 2017 8:17 pm

Re: Health Insurance For Newly Arrived Permanent Resident

Originally Posted by Tawn26 (Post 12330560)
Hello wise ones!

We are 2 weeks out from our big move to WA state. Myself (USC) and two daughters (dual USC/UKC) will look into Medicaid and try to access coverage through the marketplace (the website keeps locking me out so having a terrible time of it).

But as I understand my husband (UKC with IR1 visa) will not be eligible for Medicaid. What are his options for coverage until he gains insurance through whatever employment he finds once we land? I read the article at the BE homepage that suggest travel insurance as a temporary cover, but doesn't travel insurance require you to be a PR of departure country (aka UK) to be valid?

If not travel insurance, are there any other options other than him being without health insurance coverage until finding employment?

Thank you!

We used Seven Corners to get insurance when we first arrived in the USA. It is not the best but better than not having anything. Here is the website where you can get a quote.

https://www.sevencorners.com/inbound-immigrant#/quote

SanDiegogirl Sep 3rd 2017 11:46 pm

As you are intending to apply for plans on the exchanges,I think you talking about getting healthcover via the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) and not Medicaid which is for those folks who are very low or non waged and qualify for Federal or State aid.

Your husband CAN apply for plans under Obamacare too.

Apart from above if you Google short term insurance a number of sites come up.

Travel insurance won't cover day to day medical coverage for residents.

Dominic0012 Sep 5th 2017 4:00 pm

you should qualify for Obamacare and you will qualify under the special enrollment period (becoming a new resident). This will then qualify you for coverage this year and you will have to apply for next years coverage under the marketplace in oct/nov.

Tawn26 Sep 5th 2017 4:56 pm

Thank you for all your replies! I hate how ignorant I feel about healthcare in the states as I moved to the UK when I WAS 24 and still covered under my parents insurance!

I appreciate the insight!

Steve_ Sep 6th 2017 12:21 am

I don't think anyone has made the obvious point - under Federal law you have to have insurance so if he hasn't got a job, then he has to buy an ACA plan. Doesn't necessarily have to be via healthcare.gov, but typically all the insurers in your area have plans listed on there so you figure out which one has plans that you like and then call them directly. You might actually be able to negotiate them down on price. (Also unless you're low income then you've got to have a plan too as Medicaid won't cover you.)

New immigrants and US citizens returning from abroad are eligible for a special enrollment period. The IRS can't charge a penalty for an incomplete tax year (I think) so although he has to do it, there's no penalty if he doesn't. Given that he's arriving mid year he's going to have to file a dual status tax return anyway (read IRS publication 519). And I hope you're up-to-date on your own returns as US citizens have to file even if they live abroad.

Another key point living in Washington - in choosing a plan, prescription drugs don't matter that much because you can simply drive up to Canada to buy anything expensive. So there's no point buying a plan with generous coverage for prescription drugs.

tom169 Sep 6th 2017 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 12332059)
I don't think anyone has made the obvious point - under Federal law you have to have insurance so if he hasn't got a job, then he has to buy an ACA plan. Doesn't necessarily have to be via healthcare.gov, but typically all the insurers in your area have plans listed on there so you figure out which one has plans that you like and then call them directly. You might actually be able to negotiate them down on price. (Also unless you're low income then you've got to have a plan too as Medicaid won't cover you.)

New immigrants and US citizens returning from abroad are eligible for a special enrollment period. The IRS can't charge a penalty for an incomplete tax year (I think) so although he has to do it, there's no penalty if he doesn't. Given that he's arriving mid year he's going to have to file a dual status tax return anyway (read IRS publication 519). And I hope you're up-to-date on your own returns as US citizens have to file even if they live abroad.

Another key point living in Washington - in choosing a plan, prescription drugs don't matter that much because you can simply drive up to Canada to buy anything expensive. So there's no point buying a plan with generous coverage for prescription drugs.

He doesn't need to file a dual status return. He could opt to be treated as a resident for the entire year.

One can assume OP is up to date with tax returns as that's needed for the IR-1 visa.

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 6th 2017 3:44 am

Where I am there is only one Insurer.

Frustration mounts over premiums for Affordable Care Act individual health plans – The Denver Post

Interesting article on OCare, read and cry.

I assume that the OP will have no or little income and can get Medicaid initially, well nothing is immediate.

Do not know about WA, some States allow new immigrants to get Medicaid from Day1. Mine requires 5 years residency.