Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health insurance for long stay usa

Health insurance for long stay usa

Old Mar 25th 2021, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Ferd is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Health insurance for long stay usa

I am an 80 yr old Brit contemplating a 4 to 6 month stay in USA (I have a green card).Any recommendations for health insurance ?I plan to leave UK for Alabama when the Covid figures for both countries are favorable.I think this would be in September, Thanks Ferd

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 25th 2021 at 3:25 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2021, 3:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance for long stay usa

Originally Posted by Ferd
I am an 80 yr old Brit contemplating a 4 to 6 month stay in USA (I have a green card).Any recommendations for health insurance ?I plan to leave UK for Alabama when the Covid figures for both countries are favorable.I think this would be in September, Thanks
Welcome to BE.

Sorry I can’t help you with insurance, but I imagine it will be expensive for that length of stay.

How can you be a US permanent resident (GC holder), when you are not living in the US but visiting? When did you move from the US back to the UK?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 25th 2021 at 3:27 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2021, 3:42 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

Sorry I can’t help you with insurance, but I imagine it will be expensive for that length of stay.

How can you be a US permanent resident (GC holder), when you are not living in the US but visiting? When did you move from the US back to the UK?
At that age he could well have one of the old paper GC with no photo and expiry date.
Old Mar 25th 2021, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Ferd is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been traveling between the 2 countries for the last 20 years.I am married to an American lady.I used to get healthcare through her state employers...but the rules changed and I had to get my own insurance.All the sites I have looked at only insure for 1 month.I need to be there for longer.
Old Mar 25th 2021, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Living in the US would make you ineligible for travel insurance.

​​​​​​https://www.healthcare.gov/

What does your wife have for cover? Most US Residents would be on Medicare.
Old Mar 25th 2021, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ferd
I have been traveling between the 2 countries for the last 20 years.I am married to an American lady.I used to get healthcare through her state employers...but the rules changed and I had to get my own insurance.All the sites I have looked at only insure for 1 month.I need to be there for longer.
Presuming your wife is on Medicare, you might be able to piggy back on her contributions if she has paid in to the system. If you only had to pay the basic amount per month (approx $140pm) that would probably be the cheapest way to do it and get cover on an annual basis.
Old Mar 25th 2021, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

This will cost you a lot.

You can look at options such as https://www.cignaglobal.com or https://www.bupaglobal.com.
Old Mar 25th 2021, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Presuming your wife is on Medicare, you might be able to piggy back on her contributions if she has paid in to the system. If you only had to pay the basic amount per month (approx $140pm) that would probably be the cheapest way to do it and get cover on an annual basis.
In current circumstance could take longer to go the Medicare route than he will be here, assuming eligible. Is there not a late joining penalty?
Old Mar 25th 2021, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
In current circumstance could take longer to go the Medicare route than he will be here, assuming eligible. Is there not a late joining penalty?
Yes there is a penalty..... just thought that getting health insurance for the US for 4 to 6 months might be thousands of dollars ( didn't JerseyGirl say insurance for her 70 something year old mother was around $1K for three weeks?).
Getting onto Medicare via his wife would cost the OP around $1,700 for the year. (co-pays and deductibles extra of course)

He says he has been back and forth between UK and US for 20 years.
Old Mar 25th 2021, 7:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes there is a penalty..... just thought that getting health insurance for the US for 4 to 6 months might be thousands of dollars ( didn't JerseyGirl say insurance for her 70 something year old mother was around $1K for three weeks?).
Getting onto Medicare via his wife would cost the OP around $1,700 for the year. (co-pays and deductibles extra of course)

MIL was in her mid 80’s and the cost was approx £1K for 3 weeks cover. She took blood thinners and was on BP meds. Her visit was approx 10 years ago.
Old Mar 25th 2021, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

I remember my Mother's cost was more than the air fare, sometime back and for a few weeks.

I was thinking the Exchange could be the way to go, not immediate but a Bronze might be $500 or so pm. With options and possible subsidy.
Old Mar 25th 2021, 11:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I remember my Mother's cost was more than the air fare, sometime back and for a few weeks.

I was thinking the Exchange could be the way to go, not immediate but a Bronze might be $500 or so pm. With options and possible subsidy.

I found that the length of stay was the problem. If you are residing in the UK...then you need UK travel/health insurance. This is normally for a max of 28 days. Also worth mentioning, if you are sick and need a doctor, or the doctor prescribes a new/alternative script...you must notify the insurance company and the will probably cancel the policy. This happened to the original company I insured my MIL with. The doctor changed her BP meds...policy cancelled.
Old Mar 25th 2021, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I found that the length of stay was the problem. If you are residing in the UK...then you need UK travel/health insurance. This is normally for a max of 28 days. Also worth mentioning, if you are sick and need a doctor, or the doctor prescribes a new/alternative script...you must notify the insurance company and the will probably cancel the policy. This happened to the original company I insured my MIL with. The doctor changed her BP meds...policy cancelled.
Agree but he also said he is a Permanent Resident in the US so any trip to the UK would be the one requiring travel Insurance.

He is resident of one or the other, now if he was a US Citizen that could be either.

Begs the question where his wife is and if she is visiting the UK.

I am sort of assuming she has Medicare and travel insurance for visiting the UK.
Old Mar 25th 2021, 11:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Agree but he also said he is a Permanent Resident in the US so any trip to the UK would be the one requiring travel Insurance.

He is resident of one or the other, now if he was a US Citizen that could be either.

I am sort of assuming she has Medicare and travel insurance for visiting the UK.
The whole living in the UK and visiting the US...but I am a US PR doesn’t make sense. We need more clarification.

Ferd...how long have you been living in the UK? When was the last time you visited the US?

Old Mar 25th 2021, 11:56 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Why couldn’t a person in his circumstances be a resident of both? Each country has its own rules defining who is a resident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.