Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health insurance for long stay usa

Health insurance for long stay usa

Old Mar 26th 2021, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance for long stay usa

Originally Posted by robin1234
That, plus I have Medicare. But, as I think boiler and durham_lad detail in some posts (above), there’s a lot of government agencies in both countries who have an interest in claiming you are or are not a resident - depending on whether you are potentially a source of income, or a recipient of services. I’ve always assumed I’m a resident of both countries, since 2015, and no government agency in either country has concerned themselves with challenging that.
Same situation for us since 2016. One of my sources of income is a SERP pension from the USA company I retired from, and the IRS changed the law recently so starting 2020 I have been paying FICA and Medicare taxes and will continue to do so until I die. It does mean my SS contributions will be 28 years when I plan to start drawing SS at age 70 so WEP will be minimized and down to zero after I pass age 72 so there is some personal financial benefit.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
That, plus I have Medicare. But, as I think boiler and durham_lad detail in some posts (above), there’s a lot of government agencies in both countries who have an interest in claiming you are or are not a resident - depending on whether you are potentially a source of income, or a recipient of services. I’ve always assumed I’m a resident of both countries, since 2015, and no government agency in either country has concerned themselves with challenging that.
Being a Dual Citizen avoids a lot of the issues, being a LPR makes the situation more complicated.
Old Mar 27th 2021, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Think I had a post go missing.

Anyway he is certainly claiming to be resident in the US, and Travel Insurance in the UK is not sold to those resident in other countries. There may be some wiggle room on some but they to my knowledge all require you to be eligible for the NHS, which brings back to ordinary resident.
Or, more likely, they'll sell the OP insurance and then use his LPR status to deny any claim.

Thread seems doomed to frustration absent the OP clarifying a number of the issues already raised. Honestly, if it were me, I'd stay "clean" and get an ACA policy.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 27th 2021 at 12:59 am.
Old Mar 27th 2021, 1:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

His problem is that nobody seems to want to sell him Insurance probably without even mentioning his US Permanent Resiidency status.

I sort of assumed this was likely to go nowhere.