Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health insurance for long stay usa

Health insurance for long stay usa

Old Mar 26th 2021, 12:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health insurance for long stay usa

There was all the fuss about people retiring to Spain but using the NHS. Not sure how you can be a US Permanent Resident and Ordinarily Resident for NHS purposes for example.

I think the problem here is that there many many definitions of what a resident is, so which one you are are looking at. From a LPR perspective you can certainly leave the US, all the references I know of relate to trips and setting up residency elsewhere does not sound like a trip?

Old Mar 26th 2021, 12:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Why couldn’t a person in his circumstances be a resident of both? Each country has its own rules defining who is a resident.
What are the rules?
Old Mar 26th 2021, 12:15 am
Account Closed

Think I had a post go missing.

Anyway he is certainly claiming to be resident in the US, and Travel Insurance in the UK is not sold to those resident in other countries. There may be some wiggle room on some but they to my knowledge all require you to be eligible for the NHS, which brings back to ordinary resident.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 12:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What are the rules?
Depends what form of residency you are discussing, used in many different situations with many different definitions.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 12:17 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

What are the rules?
I have no idea. I try to keep my head clear of bureaucratic minutiae. The point is, boiler’s statement is not necessarily true.

Old Mar 26th 2021, 12:22 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
There was all the fuss about people retiring to Spain but using the NHS. Not sure how you can be a US Permanent Resident and Ordinarily Resident for NHS purposes for example.

I think the problem here is that there many many definitions of what a resident is, so which one you are are looking at. From a LPR perspective you can certainly leave the US, all the references I know of relate to trips and setting up residency elsewhere does not sound like a trip?
Yes, sorry, I didn’t see this post when I responded to your earlier one. But once you are ordinarily resident in the UK, how many days a year must you be present in the UK?
Old Mar 26th 2021, 12:37 am
Account Closed

Yes, sorry, I didn’t see this post when I responded to your earlier one. But once you are ordinarily resident in the UK, how many days a year must you be present in the UK?
This I do not know, never looked into it, I seem to recollect a lot of 6 months mentions, and just be clear I would expect there to be overlaps, but like a lot of My F's comments very fact and specific circumstances dependent.

Even in one US state it varies, where I am a lot of people whose main residency is say in Denver claim here as their primary residence as car tax is cheaper, but no doubt claim Denver as their residency for Health insurance as that is cheaper. Then we have residency for schooling, drivers license etc etc etc.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 1:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea. I try to keep my head clear of bureaucratic minutiae. The point is, boiler’s statement is not necessarily true.
I asked because I know you spend time in both countries.

Never mind US Immigration....no one has mentioned the IRS yet.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 1:33 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I asked because I know you spend time in both countries.

Never mind US Immigration....no one has mentioned the IRS yet.
But isn’t robin1234 a citizen of both countries and therein lies the difference between his situation and that of the OP.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 1:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
But isn’t robin1234 a citizen of both countries and therein lies the difference between his situation and that of the OP.
Yes...I thought he may have more experience than most...living with a foot in 2 countries.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

According to gov.uk (and thus HMRC), you can technically be domiciled in two countries:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nce-basis-rdr1

IRS is a different matter altogether as per Jerseygirl.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
According to gov.uk (and thus HMRC), you can technically be domiciled in two countries:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nce-basis-rdr1

IRS is a different matter altogether as per Jerseygirl.
From the above link,

Dual residence

1.6 It is possible for you to be UK resident under UK tax rules and at the same time be resident in another country under that country’s rules. This is sometimes referred to as ‘dual residence’. If you’re UK resident and resident in another country, and the UK has a DTA with the other country, there may be provisions that determine where you will pay tax. You will need to look at the guidance in section 10.
There is a DTA between the USA and the UK so if you are resident in both countries, or a US citizen living in the UK, the DTA determines which country has primary taxing authority for the different streams of income.

If the OP is domiciled in the UK and paying UK taxes then he should be eligible to buy travel/health insurance from a UK provider. We do this but have never stayed more than 30 days in the US so have no idea of cost for longer stays.

Last edited by durham_lad; Mar 26th 2021 at 9:38 am.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by durham_lad
From the above link,

There is a DTA between the USA and the UK so if you are resident in both countries, or a US citizen living in the UK, the DTA determines which country has primary taxing authority for the different streams of income.

If the OP is domiciled in the UK and paying UK taxes then he should be eligible to buy travel/health insurance from a UK provider. We do this but have never stayed more than 30 days in the US so have no idea of cost for longer stays.
I assume you are not a US Legal Permanent Resident and do not need to meet those obligations.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I assume you are not a US Legal Permanent Resident and do not need to meet those obligations.
I am a USC living in the UK and all USCs are considered tax resident in the USA whether or not they live there so yes I do meet the US tax obligations and rely heavily on the DTA between the US and UK.

Each year I have to file taxes in both countries and claim foreign tax credits to ensure I don’t get double taxed.

ETA
My wife and I both have Medicare cards - Part A, so at least our US travel insurance only has to cover non-hospital medical care. That is also an option for the OP who has paid his 40 quarters into Medicare. We applied for and received our Medicare cards from England. Application through the US Embassy in London.

Last edited by durham_lad; Mar 26th 2021 at 2:56 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 3:03 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
That, plus I have Medicare. But, as I think boiler and durham_lad detail in some posts (above), there’s a lot of government agencies in both countries who have an interest in claiming you are or are not a resident - depending on whether you are potentially a source of income, or a recipient of services. I’ve always assumed I’m a resident of both countries, since 2015, and no government agency in either country has concerned themselves with challenging that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.