Reload this Page >

Health insurance for long road trip

Health insurance for long road trip

Old Oct 25th 2018, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health insurance for long road trip

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Not as far as I know......... not as long as you keep paying the premiums - however, any treatment you receive under the policy will be out of network and therefore, probably more expensive as far as out of pocket is concerned.

I've got a pal who travels most of the year in her RV so I'm going to ask her what she does.
Thanks, yes that would be great. I've got a feeling that most of the advice I'm after will need to come from RV'ers even though I won't actually be traveling in an RV.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I can gather they have a nominal address for such matters, I know quite a few people who switch between locations and use one of them for Insurance etc purposes. The only person I know who has no address, long story, uses somebody I know physical address and my PO Box!
Old Oct 25th 2018, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boiler
From what I can gather they have a nominal address for such matters, I know quite a few people who switch between locations and use one of them for Insurance etc purposes. The only person I know who has no address, long story, uses somebody I know physical address and my PO Box!
Sold. Your friend's address and your PO Box it is then
Old Oct 26th 2018, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
Probably not legal for sale to a California resident.

Seems like your goal is to avoid bankruptcy if you have a serious illness/accident whilst travelling. As such, I'd take out a high deductible Covered California policy which will give you a subsidy based on your income/projected income. The fact that you're going to be out of area may not matter too much as effectively you're only likely to be using it for emergency care. Just make sure you set up auto payment online from your bank account.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 7:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Probably not legal for sale to a California resident.

Seems like your goal is to avoid bankruptcy if you have a serious illness/accident whilst travelling. As such, I'd take out a high deductible Covered California policy which will give you a subsidy based on your income/projected income. The fact that you're going to be out of area may not matter too much as effectively you're only likely to be using it for emergency care. Just make sure you set up auto payment online from your bank account.
Yeah that would work fine as long as I'm still covered in all states even though I will no longer live in California when I start traveling. Like you say, it's just to cover the most major of emergencies. Anything else I would expect to pay for out of pocket.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Spoke to my colleagues who are RV'ers. They both had standard Californian health insurance policies. Both said that if something really serious had come up (a chronic illness) they would have returned to California for treatment. As it was they both just used the Urgent Care centres when needed for issues which needed prompt attention, but nothing very serious, and said they were visiting the area when asked for their address.. Their policy holders paid most of the costs, but they had out of pocket costs. Neither had really serious medical issues or road accidents etc so could not comment on how these would be handled.

They both opened up private mail boxes - those which have street addresses, not P.O.boxes. This gave the impression of a residence in CA and also got around the bank issues. All monthly premiums etc were paid via bank standing order.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Spoke to my colleagues who are RV'ers. They both had standard Californian health insurance policies. Both said that if something really serious had come up (a chronic illness) they would have returned to California for treatment. As it was they both just used the Urgent Care centres when needed for issues which needed prompt attention, but nothing very serious, and said they were visiting the area when asked for their address.. Their policy holders paid most of the costs, but they had out of pocket costs. Neither had really serious medical issues or road accidents etc so could not comment on how these would be handled.

They both opened up private mail boxes - those which have street addresses, not P.O.boxes. This gave the impression of a residence in CA and also got around the bank issues. All monthly premiums etc were paid via bank standing order.
Great. Thanks a lot for the info.