Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health insurance for long road trip

Health insurance for long road trip

Old Oct 25th 2018, 7:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health insurance for long road trip

I transitioned from employed to freelancing earlier in the year and have had no health insurance for a while (I'm aware a penalty will be due come tax time). I've just become a citizen and now that all my ducks are in a row, I'm planning on a long USA road trip starting next March (when my apt lease is up). Probably 3 months to a year depending on how it goes.

So I need health insurance. I've just spent 30mins googling and I'm totally lost. My health insurance has always been done through my employer previously. I need something that covers major illness/accident (so I don't get bankrupted) but am happy to have a high deductible (say $5->10K). And I need coverage across all states as I'll probably be spending 2->4 weeks in each. Any idea where to start looking? And what's the December 15th enrollment date about? Is that when you have to enroll for all health plans? What if you miss that date?
Old Oct 25th 2018, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance for long road trip

Go to Cover California

https://www.coveredca.com/

the exchange for health plans for California. Check out the plans offered and the costs.

You can sign up for a plan on this exchange until 15 Jan 2019 as per the website.

I don't know of any insurance plans that cover all states without penalties. Your plan is set up to cover the costs for doctors in your network - usually a certain range of miles of your home.

If you go out of network for treatment - and this includes visiting doctors out of state - you'll probably end up paying more than seeing a doctor in CA.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

For OCare it depends on where you are resident, not just the State but your location. Hopefully you are in an area where there is more than one Insurer and a variety of plans to choose from.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boiler
For OCare it depends on where you are resident, not just the State but your location. Hopefully you are in an area where there is more than one Insurer and a variety of plans to choose from.
This is the problem. I don't think the system is setup to handle my situation at all. I'm in California now, but when I go on my trip, I won't be resident anywhere. I'll be living in motels and campsites. I have no family in the country that I could use as a base. I will choose where I want to settle after the trip. It may not be California. I have no idea how I'll do my 2019 taxes!
Old Oct 25th 2018, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

Best to keep your CA address until you move somewhere else.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

Best to keep your CA address until you move somewhere else.
Ha ha. You mean pay rent for 12 months on somewhere I'm not living? (with rent & bills, that'd probably come out to around $25K)
Old Oct 25th 2018, 9:52 pm
Account Closed

PO Box?

What will you do about Motor Insurance?
Old Oct 25th 2018, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

PO Box?

What will you do about Motor Insurance?
Yep, these are the next issues I'll be tackling. I may be able to get a PO box in Texas if I join an RV group there and have mail forwarded but I don't think that will fly for health or auto insurance.

So complicated if you don't fit into the cookie cutter life of 'job->mortgage->kids' !

I think I may do better looking into travel insurance policies for both health & auto.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well you'll have to have an address somewhere just to be able to pay for your health insurance premiums whether that be by credit card or bank order - you are not going to be able to get any type of health insurance without one.

How do you intend to travel around the US for 12 months or more without a 'base' to maintain your financial situation.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dek

I think I may do better looking into travel insurance policies for both health & auto.
Nope.... travel insurance won't cover you for health issues in the US......... neither will auto insurance.
Travel insurance covers travel outside the US.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Well you'll have to have an address somewhere just to be able to pay for your health insurance premiums whether that be by credit card or bank order - you are not going to be able to get any type of health insurance without one.

How do you intend to travel around the US for 12 months or more without a 'base' to maintain your financial situation.
This is what I'm learning right now. But there must be a way as 1000's of full time RV'ers do it every year. As far as banks etc, everything is done online and I just won't update my records. This is definitely the road block I expect to run into though at every turn.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

Nope.... travel insurance won't cover you for health issues in the US......... neither will auto insurance.
Travel insurance covers travel outside the US.
Just found this: https://www.gninsurance.com/travel-i...nside-the-usa/
Old Oct 25th 2018, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dek
Thought your main problem was not having an address in order to take out health insurance .... there are plenty of companies offering short term insurance, but still think you will need to provide evidence of an address.

If you are keeping your bank account - presume that has an address attached to it - why can't you arrange for medical premiums and auto insurance to be automatically deducted from that?
Old Oct 25th 2018, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

Thought your main problem was not having an address in order to take out health insurance .... there are plenty of companies offering short term insurance, but still think you will need to provide evidence of an address.

If you are keeping your bank account - presume that has an address attached to it - why can't you arrange for medical premiums and auto insurance to be automatically deducted from that?
I have an address right now so I could take out a policy. I guess my concern is does the policy become invalid when I move?
Old Oct 25th 2018, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not as far as I know......... not as long as you keep paying the premiums - however, any treatment you receive under the policy will be out of network and therefore, probably more expensive as far as out of pocket is concerned.

I've got a pal who travels most of the year in her RV so I'm going to ask her what she does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.