Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health insurance for immigration?

Health insurance for immigration?

Old Jun 25th 2006, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance for immigration?

Originally Posted by Boiler
I would just add that NI is not hypothecated, it is a general tax that goes in to the Treasury, so not really a direct comparison.
I understand that. Hubs is the USC and was paid in USD when he worked in the UK and he has filed US tax every year. We compared UK and US tax on the same salary (with state/local/school/fed, etc., all included) and for us, for whatever reason, we come out ahead. Again, I realise that isn't the case for everyone...

As I said, this is before we look at property taxes (less than London) and before we look at mortages (again less) and all that other stuff.

For this reason we didn't think twice about paying for health insurance, but now I'm preparing for the worst should one of us fall ill, etc.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 7:26 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
........we didn't think twice about paying for health insurance, but now I'm preparing for the worst should one of us fall ill, etc.
I would not want to scare you! You probably have excellent health cover, and all those worst-case scenarios only affect a minority. It's a significant minority, though - mainly working class and lower middle-class. (Welcome to the classless society...)

And one day you'll probably find yourself standing in line behind an elderly person questioning the pharmacist as to which of her meds are 'essential' and which she 'could do without'.

Also, with healthcare being tied to employment, the loss of a job also means the loss of healthcare. There is Cobra, of course, but again, those who are not well off often cannot afford those premiums either.

I just feel that access to healthcare should be a right, like clean water and education, et cetera. It shouldn't depend on $$$.

Nye Bevan is my hero - surprise, surprise
Old Jun 25th 2006, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Oh you didn't scare me-I scared myself I had a 'what the heck am I doing here...one accident or trauma could ruin us' type of episode.

I really appreciate your comments-honest! I was playing devil's advocate a bit and pushing back to see what other stories people would offer, as this is such an important issue and I like being forced to think about it on the broader scale.

My husband's work insurance won't cover me for 2 years since I'm 'foreign' so we got a policy on our own, which actually is fine by us as we won't lose it should he ever lose his job.

I do agree that healthcare should be a right for all. I felt so strongly about this that I campaigned for it (even though I couldn't vote!) in 1992. I went to Uni in the US (where I meant DH) and I got involved in political work and volunteering. Then, after moving back to the UK I saw the NHS was in such chaos (generalising again, but basing on my experience) and I can't for the life of me see how this would work in the US.

Regardless, now that we are back in the US I am putting my email skills to work and will start pestering the powers that be to reform this area.

Breaks my heart to see the elderly and children suffer...the elderly deserve the right to be comfortable and children deserve a good start in life!
Old Jun 25th 2006, 7:49 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

............My husband's work insurance won't cover me for 2 years since I'm 'foreign'.........
WHAT???

I have NEVER heard of anything like that! I did not think they are allowed to disciminate against someone in this way because of their non-US status!!

I would get this checked out - this seems very fishy to me.

And study the small print of both your policies - can be enlightening!

US practices (both medical and financial) re. childbirth make interesting reading too (just in case... )
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

It's true! We found another policy that wouldn't cover me for 6 months--must be Legally resident for 6 months and I wasn't as we wanted the policy to start upon arrival. I didn't believe it, but an expat friend told me about another forum (dive into america) and some there had the same experience.

Many there suggested the site I suggested here (ehealthinsurance) to compare policies and referred us to a few companies that don't have the residency requirement. Guess it's to keep people from being health tourists, but I was so shocked!

Oh yeah, the fine print did our heads in. I'm still not fully confident that I know what we have cover for We'll need to read the maternity info in about a year or so if we decide to have another...we have one child who is UK born (but I didn't have the best of NHS birthing experiences).

Back to residency, I am not exactly sure what or how one proves legally residency. In the UK, hubby was always having to have utility bills and bank statements in his name to prove he was resident. I decided not to push it with the insurance companies and I went with one that had 'legal US resident' as the eligilbility.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Or, am I misunderstanding or missing something that is going to catch up with us in the long run? I'm really trying to get my head round all of this and do what I can to protect my family and our health.
medicare, you do have to be dirt poor to get it....and the problem comes to a lot of people when one is made redundant, suddenly they have to medical cover, and many states are right to fire states so you have no notice and they don't need a reason to sack people.

another thing, NHS is paid through VAT more so than NI...
Old Jun 25th 2006, 10:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
WHAT???

I have NEVER heard of anything like that! I did not think they are allowed to disciminate against someone in this way because of their non-US status!!
i expect it is more to do with adding spouses, where the missus works, unless you've worked there a year, you can't add spouses for a year unless you were senior management.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 10:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Oh yeah, the fine print did our heads in. I'm still not fully confident that I know what we have cover for We'll need to read the maternity info in about a year or so if we decide to have another...we have one child who is UK born (but I didn't have the best of NHS birthing experiences).
definately check the small print to see how many days in hospital are covered, how many scans and tests are covered pre and post natal, what delivery is covered, what emergencies are covered and any post care that is covered.

the missus, our policy covers natural birth and only a couple pre natal scans, and one day in hospital for the day of birth, no follow up care....good job we're moving in a couple weeks *l*
Old Jun 25th 2006, 11:39 am
Homebody

Back to residency, I am not exactly sure what or how one proves legally residency. In the UK, hubby was always having to have utility bills and bank statements in his name to prove he was resident. I decided not to push it with the insurance companies and I went with one that had 'legal US resident' as the eligilbility.
What is your status here? Normally a copy of your visa or green card should be sufficient. In other words, whatever you used to get yoru driver's licence here, should be sufficient for just about anyone else.

Here is an interesting discussion between septics on the differences between pregnancy and childbirth in the UK vs the US:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=777.0

HTH!
Old Jun 25th 2006, 12:24 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Health insurance for immigration?

....and here is an interesting article (originally published in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel) based on a report from the "Journal of the American Medical Association" where they show that Americans are sicker than Britons, despite spending much more money on medical costs:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1626090/posts
Old Jun 25th 2006, 12:53 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Englishmum
....and here is an interesting article (originally published in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel) based on a report from the "Journal of the American Medical Association" where they show that Americans are sicker than Britons, despite spending much more money on medical costs:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1626090/posts

(sigh)

Infant mortality statistics anyone?
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've got a green card via a spousal visa. Here's one plan that had the 6 month mate--they ask about arrival date into the US and it starts from that point. The 2 year wait plan was the same type of working. I didn't have an SSN# for about 2 months after arrival, and that would then generate the question of 'how long have you been here'.

http://www.aetna.com/members/individ...chure_Ohio.pdf

I've seen the article about Americans being more unhealthy--that made the rounds in Britain, too. I'm not surprised at all, but one interesting spin on it was is it so because Americans tend to know what is wrong with them and many Brits do not? For example, many Brits may have high BP or cholesterol but they are not tested for these as standard, which many Yanks are. In other words, I'd never had a 'top to tail' check in Britain but both Dh and I got them here, and yes, there were some 'warnings' and warning signs to look for. Suddenly we were not as healthy as we thought!

As I said, I realise that much more is spent on health care but it's not spent in the most logical way. Too much on unneccesary tests and such and not enough on care...but for us, for now, we have more readily available access to treatment which is the priority for us.

The big question (and maybe this has already been covered here) is do we think reform would work, and how on earth would it be implemented without a huge hike in taxes (as such a tax hike will never be passed)? I haven't seen any potential plans in this area in many years. Kerry talked about it but had no plan. Clintons plan was a disaster, and the Republican plan shot down.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

and there is this...both DH and our daughter were diagnosed in the UK and had terrible trouble, but have been clear since we moved here:

http://www.patienthealthinternationa...cond0_item1373

I guess the easy answer is it isn't logical to compare the two systems, but to make the choice as to what it best for you and yours. Both obviously have issues...

Last edited by jen_andreson; Jun 25th 2006 at 8:50 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 3:00 am
Homebody

........I guess the easy answer is it isn't logical to compare the two systems, but to make the choice as to what it best for you and yours. Both obviously have issues...

I agree. And so much depends on personal circumstances and luck. I was happy with the service I received with the NHS (2 pregnancies, 3 kids, grommets, surgery), and whilst we've had some hassle with our insurers here, we have not experienced any major problems.

Here they check your BP at every single visit (even if they saw you just a couple of weeks ago! - in the UK only when they remember I think patients have to learn to take responsibility also, eg asking to have their BP (and choledsterol!) checked if it's not been done for a while. That also goes for asthma patients; imagine people not taking their meds - even though they only have to pay peanuts for them! (I think the higher rates in the UK, especially Scotland, probably have a lot to do with smoking, and I'm glad that the government appears to be tackling that problem in a more constructive way at long last).

I think a lot of people in the UK have a rather cavalier attitude to healthcare provision, eg not turning up for hospital appointments or calling 999 for non-emergencies.

I have no idea how they could change the system here in the US to make it more equitable, but talk to any doctor or politician and they will probably agree that SOMETHING will have to be done. The obesity rates here are staggering, and with it comes diabetes and heart disease and all the other serious complications. A significant number of young people - including teenagers! - are devloping Type 2 diabetes; a condition that used to be confined to the elderly. This is a timebomb!

Every time I walk into a doctor's office or hospital here, I look at thewater fountains and flower arrangements, and the tasteful pictures and comfy chairs ,(and think of the billing staff hidden in the basement somewhere...), and I think of all the healthcare this could buy for those who currently cannot afford it.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your perspective. It's been a pleasure 'chatting' with you on this topic and I feel very enlightened. I've been reading over a lot of posts and have learnt a great deal--lots of food for thought.

I stumbled upon this forum by accident and I'm so glad that I did!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.