Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health insurance for immigration?

Health insurance for immigration?

Old Jun 24th 2006, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance for immigration?

That's a good point, although in Britain I spent more on private health care as we had to pay private for consultant visits/emergency treatment that had an 11 mth NHS wait. Not having the op would have meant that my husband would not have been able to work/support us (as it would have meant a year off of work and his company would not have accepted that), and instead we cleaned out of savings, gave up holidays, etc., and all worked out. It was frustrating as we had both paid UK tax for 15-20 years and yet the system couldn't help when we needed it--almost left him out of work.

I guess I put greater importance on getting care and being healthy, which seems to be a priority in the US. In my 30+ years in the UK I never had a medical, a wellness check, etc, and my US insurance covered that for free. It was refreshing.

Anyway, just trying to get my head round all this as it's so confusing. I know the US system is a disaster, and I'm trying to learn what I can so that I am prepared.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 9:32 am
Guest21

You could try United Health Care I pay $121.00 a month and get discounted Doctors visits threw their network and I have a $2,500 deductable.

My company use's them but I do not qualify for cover under my work policy until I have been there for 6 months.

I went with a broker for United, called www.goldenrule.com.

Whiskers

Old Jun 24th 2006, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

You What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hannahmichelle
We are due to be emigrating at the end of this month and we cannot seem to find any kind of good health/medical insurance to keep us (myself, husband and three children) well covered until we have jobs with health benefits. We had hoped our travel insurance would cover us but they say they can't as we will be residents as soon as we arrive. Any words of wisdom much appreciated.

Hannah
Look at it from a different angle, buy travel insurance from the UK before you leave, Direct line will cover you and your family for up to a year for a few hundred pounds, just neglect to tell them that you are not coming back. And make sure you read all the small print, a bubby of mine from Manchester tried it without reading the small print, it stated the insurance was void if you were in any kind of accident and you had alcohol in your system, this guy was never sober .
Old Jun 24th 2006, 10:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by You What John
Look at it from a different angle, buy travel insurance from the UK before you leave, Direct line will cover you and your family for up to a year for a few hundred pounds, just neglect to tell them that you are not coming back. And make sure you read all the small print, a bubby of mine from Manchester tried it without reading the small print, it stated the insurance was void if you were in any kind of accident and you had alcohol in your system, this guy was never sober .
My guess is that you are talking about an annual policy that covers mutiple shorter trips, not the same thing.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 11:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If the insurance company find out that you have taken up US residency, and they will, what happens to your claim then?
Old Jun 24th 2006, 12:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
Hi,

Am new here (will go introduce myself next), but I am a bit confused.

In the UK we paid 9% of our salaries to NHS tax in which we had 3 week wait for doctors, dirty facilities and standardised meds that are so old-fashioned that aren't used anywhere else in the western world.

Since arriving in the US, my husband and I opened a policy that costs us $240 a month (a lot less than 9% of our wages), gives us immediate access to doctors, meds, tests, etc.

Is our positive experience here unique? I'm getting nervous reading all the negativity about being crooks, expensive, etc as so far it's much better (for us) than NHS.

Back to the original question: try ehealthinsurance.com for a quote generator that searches all the plans in your future state. We had a problem getting insurance with some of them as they require legal residency of 6 months to a year, but we found several plans that worked.

I agree with a lot of what you have said. My mother was waiting for years and years for knee replacements on the NHS. When they finally took her into hospital she was 80 yrs old, she was then told she was too frail and would not survive the operation. She is now in constant pain and cannot walk or stand.

Since living here we have had excellent service from our healthcare providers. Through routine screening both my husband and myself have had potentially life threatening diseases detected, which if we had lived in the UK would have gone undetected for years.

The difference here is that the healthcare is good as long as you have the money to pay for it...when you don't its tough luck.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

You What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Boiler
My guess is that you are talking about an annual policy that covers mutiple shorter trips, not the same thing.
Correct, it covers for up to 3 months at a time.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 12:25 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If the insurance company find out that you have taken up US residency, and they will, what happens to your claim then?
the last claim I had, my travel insurance company wanted copies of flight tickets for my "trip". Almost got tripped up by that one.

a.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 12:26 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Correct, it covers for up to 3 months at a time.

For holidays and business trips staring and ending in the UK. Of no use to people who are emigrating.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 12:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by g1ant
the last claim I had, my travel insurance company wanted copies of flight tickets for my "trip". Almost got tripped up by that one.

a.
Exactly, wouldn't be that difficult for them to find out that you'd quit your job, sold up and moved out of the UK.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 12:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Elvira
For holidays and business trips staring and ending in the UK. Of no use to people who are emigrating.
I think the idea was to 'pretend' it was a holiday. Bad idea, very bad idea.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 12:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I think the idea was to 'pretend' it was a holiday. Bad idea, very bad idea.
Agree.

If one has to make a claim, one has to submit the airline ticket. Been there, done that. (my claim related to a holiday prior to moving here, I hasten toadd...)

And if it's a significant claim, they will look into it very carefully.

Stupid idea.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 12:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Agree.

If one has to make a claim, one has to submit the airline ticket. Been there, done that. (my claim related to a holiday prior to moving here, I hasten toadd...)

And if it's a significant claim, they will look into it very carefully.

Stupid idea.

As well as being left with hefty healthcare bills to pay you are also BREAKING THE LAW.....its called fraud.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 12:36 pm
Homebody

As well as being left with hefty healthcare bills to pay you are also BREAKING THE LAW.....its called fraud.

you are preaching to the choir my dear!!
Old Jun 24th 2006, 12:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

you are preaching to the choir my dear!!

Yes but not all BE members are in the choir.

Gotta go now...have fun Elvira.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.