Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health insurance - I am so confused!

Health insurance - I am so confused!

Old Mar 21st 2017, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance - I am so confused!

My option of HRA is a high deductible plan ($1300 individual), but only the employer can make contributions. My HSA option on the other hand has a lower deductible ($1150). The biggest difference is when the insurance cuts in most of the HSA expenses are covered at a percentage level, whereas the HRA some expenses just have a copay.

I think HRA plans have many options.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 2:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
My option of HRA is a high deductible plan ($1300 individual), but only the employer can make contributions. My HSA option on the other hand has a lower deductible ($1150). The biggest difference is when the insurance cuts in most of the HSA expenses are covered at a percentage level, whereas the HRA some expenses just have a copay.

I think HRA plans have many options.
Your post makes no sense as you have entirely jumbled up tax-advantaged cash accounts with insurance plans.

I have no doubt that your insurance has fewer options and permutations than other people's, but describing the HRA as having a copy makes no sense whatsoever; accounts don't have copays, insurance plans do!

If they read your posts it is no wonder some people moving to the US for the first time are confused by the options for health insurance!
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Your post makes no sense as you have entirely jumbled up tax-advantaged cash accounts with insurance plans.

I have no doubt that your insurance has fewer options and permutations than other people's, but describing the HRA as having a copy makes no sense whatsoever; accounts don't have copays, insurance plans do!

If they read your posts it is no wonder some people moving to the US for the first time are confused by the options for health insurance!
You should not be telling people HRA plans have low deductibles, that is not true.

I have 2 options through my employer.
Plan 1 with $1300 deductible is only available with an HRA account, known in my company as the HRA plan.
Plan 2 with $1150 deductible is only available with an HSA account,known in my company as the HSA plan.

Once the deductible has been met on the HRA plan , some benefits have co-pays, for example ER is a $250 co-pay.
The HSA has no co-pays, for example ER, you pay 20% of the cost, once you have met the decuctible.

On both plan types you are responsible for 100% of the costs until the deductible has been met.

Maybe things are clearer to you now.

I agree HRA and HSA are not plan types, but the account have to be linked to a health insurance plan.

Last edited by mrken30; Mar 21st 2017 at 3:59 am.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sherbert
Got it thank you. There's no PPO choice for us this time, just HMO (which has been working fine with previous insurers). Unfortunately, the new provider on offer is Kaiser and I think it's inherently wrong for an insurance company to employ their own doctors (did someone say conflict of interest? I think they did). :s
Kaiser doctors and Kaiser Insurance are two technically different companies, Kaiser Permanente and Kaiser Foundation. Also Kaiser doctors do not work on commission or hourly pay like some other doctors. HMOs tend to work much more efficiently but only tend to do necessary procedures. Kaiser is the only provider around here that offers gas and air for child birth. They work in a similar way to NHS but with lower wait times.

If I had a choice I would go back to Kaiser tomorrow.

Last edited by mrken30; Mar 21st 2017 at 5:31 am.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 10:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
You should not be telling people HRA plans have low deductibles, that is not true.

I have 2 options through my employer.
Plan 1 with $1300 deductible is only available with an HRA account, known in my company as the HRA plan.
Plan 2 with $1150 deductible is only available with an HSA account,known in my company as the HSA plan.

Once the deductible has been met on the HRA plan , some benefits have co-pays, for example ER is a $250 co-pay.
The HSA has no co-pays, for example ER, you pay 20% of the cost, once you have met the decuctible.

On both plan types you are responsible for 100% of the costs until the deductible has been met.

Maybe things are clearer to you now.

I agree HRA and HSA are not plan types, but the account have to be linked to a health insurance plan.
I'm quite clear about how US health insurance works, thanks, but as long as you keep refering to "HRA plans" your posts will continue to confuse other people! ..... Unless they work for your company, what your company calls them is irrelevant!
Old Mar 21st 2017, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

All plans that use HSA or HRA funds are basically PPO plans. HRA and HSA accounts came in with the introduction of HDHPs. Prior to HDHPs most people just used FSAs for tax efficient medical expenses.

That sounds confusing.

Also it's not just my company that refers to the plans as HRA and HSA plans, Health Equity also refers to them in this way, and my insurance company uses the terms HRA and HSA plans. Thats why everyone is confused I guess.

Last edited by mrken30; Mar 21st 2017 at 4:53 pm.