Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health insurance - I am so confused!

Health insurance - I am so confused!

Old Mar 11th 2017, 8:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance - I am so confused!

Originally Posted by carcajou
The primary purpose of health insurance is to protect you in case of catastrophic injury, and only help with co-pays at the doctor etc as a secondary purpose. Many Americans have that backwards, or ignore the catastrophic aspect because they think they are "young and healthy" ....

Your calculation should be, will the cheaper plan keep a few extra Dollars in my pocket short-term but ruin me financially if I break a leg or get diagnosed with cancer?
Which is where the HSA comes in. ..... If you put the money you save on premiums into an HSA then, assuming you can avoid that catastrophic event for a year or two, you will be completely protected in the event of a catastrophic accident and have tax deductible money in your HSA to pay for all your other health care expenses.

In fact it was a "catastrophic" event that made me realise how my "traditional" (low deductible) insurance was not a good deal. I had a skin ulcer which required an antibiotic drip, three nights in hospital, and minor surgery, about the most minor surgery imaginable that requires general anasthetic, and still ended up with a $2k copay! wbile looking back at that time wd realized that we were never even meeting the $1k deductible on our insurance that was costing us $10k/ year, so we were getting no value at all from the higher premiums required to get us a lower deductible.

My perspective on what "most Americans" do is that they expect their "ideal" insurance to pay for as much of their health care expenses as absolutely possible, and end up overpaying for their insurance. It would be like expecting your car insurance to pay for oil changes and tyres. IMO most people would be better off taking care of their own day-to-day recurring health care expenses, ideally using money set aside in an HSA, and leave the insurance for catastrophic events.

FWIW if we stopped putting money into our HSAs today we could cover our family maximum deductibles for at least six years with the money already in our HSAs. Given that we continue to fund our HSAs it is hard to imagine under what circumstances our HSAs could be exhausted.

A bit of background info: the cost of traditional insurance for us is almost exactly the same cost as HD insurance + maximum HSA contributions, with the difference being that instead of flushing excessive insurance premiums down the toilet, we have accumulated very substantial HSA balances.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 11th 2017 at 8:51 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Many Americans only think of expenses in monthly cash flow terms. It drives me insane when I buy cars, and the salesperson describes the cost as 'only $300 a month!' I've tried explaining total cost to a couple of friends - how it's all dependent on interest rate, term, etc - but they tend to glaze over and go back to 'my new car only costs $270 a month - that's only $40 a month more than my old one!' Sigh...

Consequently they seem to prefer having a fixed healthcare expense of, say, $700 a month rather than having a premium of $200 and a $6k annual deductible, even though these are exactly the same mathematically* if fully deducted. And if you don't need $6k of medical expenses that year - win!

*pretend tax calcs are factored in here
Old Mar 11th 2017, 10:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
..... Consequently they seem to prefer having a fixed healthcare expense of, say, $700 a month rather than having a premium of $200 and a $6k annual deductible, even though these are exactly the same mathematically* if fully deducted. And if you don't need $6k of medical expenses that year - win! ....
I know a number of my colleagues reached that conclusion, eventually, and entirely unprompted by me, IOW I did not offer unsolicited advice.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 11th 2017 at 11:44 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I know a number of my colleagues reached that conclusion, eventually, and entirely unprompted by me, IOW I did not offer unsolicited advice.
Hubby's company offers two healthcare plans.

Plan A: traditional health insurance with co-pays in the $20-$50 range for regular doctor visits, pay a percentage of hospital charges and prescriptions, etc. The employee/ family cost for this is around $200 a month.

Plan B: high deductible plan with deductibles of $1200 individual/ $2400 family. The company puts $1k into the employee's HSA. The cost for this plan is $0; it's completely free.

Both are PPOs, same network, etc.

It's not possible to make Plan A the most cost-effective choice even if your health needs are such that you max out the deductible every year. Yet I'm confident there are still people who signed up to it.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Hubby's company offers two healthcare plans.

Plan A: traditional health insurance with co-pays in the $20-$50 range for regular doctor visits, pay a percentage of hospital charges and prescriptions, etc. The employee/ family cost for this is around $200 a month.

Plan B: high deductible plan with deductibles of $1200 individual/ $2400 family. The company puts $1k into the employee's HSA. The cost for this plan is $0; it's completely free.

Both are PPOs, same network, etc.

It's not possible to make Plan A the most cost-effective choice even if your health needs are such that you max out the deductible every year. Yet I'm confident there are still people who signed up to it.
This is similar to my plan, I get $1400 HSA money and pay $780 a year for family coverage. But max OOP is $6000 in network and $12k out of network.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Russet has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond repute

We have opted for the HD plan and it has worked for us over the years. The savings we make each month by paying the lower premiums we put directly into the HSA (and it is partially matched by our employer). The money in the HSA is pre tax and the balance has built up over time. We use the pre tax dollars in the HSA to fund out of pocket medical expenses and try to ensure we keep sufficient balance in the plan to meet the full annual deductible (just in case).

The only reason we would look to change to the high weekly payment plan is if we could forsee expensive planned medical treatments in the future - pregnancies/ knee replacements.... Ongoing medical conditions or if health was poor.

You have the option to change each year so try one and see.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

A quick clarification on this subject please: a HRA plan is probably the worst plan for a person who has a chronic condition that requires in-patient treatment (currently billed to the insurance company at 60,000 every 2 months) right?

Unfortunately, the choice is between a very crappy HMO plan (no problem with HMO, just don't like the provider) and a HRA plan. In my (limited) understanding, HRA is only a good idea if you *think* you will not see a doctor much, have any expensive treatments or get very sick right?
Old Mar 21st 2017, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by sherbert
A quick clarification on this subject please: a HRA plan is probably the worst plan for a person who has a chronic condition that requires in-patient treatment (currently billed to the insurance company at 60,000 every 2 months) right?

Unfortunately, the choice is between a very crappy HMO plan (no problem with HMO, just don't like the provider) and a HRA plan. In my (limited) understanding, HRA is only a good idea if you *think* you will not see a doctor much, have any expensive treatments or get very sick right?
HRA = Health Reimbursement Account, doesn't it? ..... So a way of setting aside some money pre-tax, and nothing to do with the sort of insurance coverage you're buying. Right?
Old Mar 21st 2017, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

So...the choice is then not between the HRA *or* the HMO but the choice is to have the HRA in addition to the PPO? To quote the OP, I'm also very confused.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by sherbert
So...the choice is then not between the HRA *or* the HMO but the choice is to have the HRA in addition to the PPO? To quote the OP, I'm also very confused.
It's HMO v PPO, and (separate choice) HRA (for a low deductible plan) or an HSA (for a high deductible plan). Both the HRA and HSA are optional, but make good sense if used appropriately.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Got it thank you. There's no PPO choice for us this time, just HMO (which has been working fine with previous insurers). Unfortunately, the new provider on offer is Kaiser and I think it's inherently wrong for an insurance company to employ their own doctors (did someone say conflict of interest? I think they did). :s
Old Mar 21st 2017, 1:31 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add something here -

it is possible to buy "gap" insurance for use with HD plans. Basically you are covering the possible expenditure of say $6k deductible - figures I saw were about $50 a month for a $6k deductible. However, this insurance isn't covered by the healthcare regulations so things like previous illness/injuries weren't covered.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's HMO v PPO, and (separate choice) HRA (for a low deductible plan) or an HSA (for a high deductible plan). Both the HRA and HSA are optional, but make good sense if used appropriately.
How does the HRA fund work?

I read that its the employer who puts pre-tax money into this fund to pay for out of pocket expenses for employees.

It's also not mobile ? i.e the employee leaves and the HRA fund stays with employer ?
Old Mar 21st 2017, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
How does the HRA fund work?

I read that its the employer who puts pre-tax money into this fund to pay for out of pocket expenses for employees.

It's also not mobile ? i.e the employee leaves and the HRA fund stays with employer ?
Employer or employee (and often both) can put money in (it's pre-tax money for the employee, but the biggest drawback is that it is "use it or lose it" money, usually within the calendar year, or by discretion within the three months after the year end. And, yes, I believe that you lose it if you change employers.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Just to add something here -

it is possible to buy "gap" insurance for use with HD plans. Basically you are covering the possible expenditure of say $6k deductible - figures I saw were about $50 a month for a $6k deductible. However, this insurance isn't covered by the healthcare regulations so things like previous illness/injuries weren't covered.
I haven't heard of it, but Americans are daft enough to think it's a good idea (see Kodokan's spot-on analysis above). In most cases gap insurance would be largely pointless when most, and in some cases, all, of the "gap" is already mitigated by the reduced premiums (as discussed by Kodokan, above).

The last time I checked we save around $7k in premiums annually by buying HD insurance and have a family deductible of $8k. The "gap" for us is, in an unprecedentedly bad year (if all three of us used our individual deductibles to the max, when to date not one of us has ever done so in any year since we switched to HD insurance), about $1k. ..... Which in any case is now utterly dwarfed by the balances in our HSAs.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 21st 2017 at 2:48 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.