Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance, Help Please

Health Insurance, Help Please

Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:25 am
Just Joined

timd720 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Health Insurance, Help Please

Can anyone give me some advice on the following. Planning on marrying US girlfriend later next year. She is single Mom of 3 with part time job and in receipt of Food Stamps and because she is a single mom she is entitled to Medicaid. I am being sponsored jointly by her sister. I am confused over the wording of the responsibilities of the sponsors, in so much as the continuation in receipt of Food Stamps and her still getting Medicaid. Would she still be entitled to both ? I keep reading things like the government could come after sponsors "if you collect means tested benefits but not unemployment compensation, workers compensation, or any other non means tested benefits.." Getting totally confused and want to get this right and clear in my head. Would she still be entitled to both whilst I was without a job, for however long that should prove to be ? Looking at the cost of healthcare plans I doubt even my Army Pension would cover that !!
Any advice greatly appreciated. With thanks Tim.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance, Help Please

Originally Posted by timd720
Would she still be entitled to both ?
Yes - at least, up until you get a job that pays really well and pushes the total family income over whatever the current threshhold is.

I keep reading things like the government could come after sponsors "if you collect means tested benefits but not unemployment compensation, workers compensation, or any other non means tested benefits.."
The government comes after the sponsor(s) if YOU collect means-tested benefits. Being married to someone who is collecting such benefits isn't the same as you, personally, receiving those benefits.

Would she still be entitled to both whilst I was without a job, for however long that should prove to be ?
Yes. In fact, she's might be entitled to more since the family size is larger but the income amount remains the same or is not seriously offset by your pension.

Edit: You will not have any healthcare unless you purchase it on your own. You can't be covered by your wife's Medicaid - because then you'd be collecting a means-tested benefit.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Aug 9th 2011 at 1:05 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 2:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timd720
Can anyone give me some advice on the following. Planning on marrying US girlfriend later next year. She is single Mom of 3 with part time job and in receipt of Food Stamps and because she is a single mom she is entitled to Medicaid. I am being sponsored jointly by her sister. I am confused over the wording of the responsibilities of the sponsors, in so much as the continuation in receipt of Food Stamps and her still getting Medicaid. Would she still be entitled to both ? I keep reading things like the government could come after sponsors "if you collect means tested benefits but not unemployment compensation, workers compensation, or any other non means tested benefits.." Getting totally confused and want to get this right and clear in my head. Would she still be entitled to both whilst I was without a job, for however long that should prove to be ? Looking at the cost of healthcare plans I doubt even my Army Pension would cover that !!
Any advice greatly appreciated. With thanks Tim.
Your fiancee should call those agencies and ask them how her benefits might be affected if she gets married, if her husband earns income, etc. The clearest answer will probably come directly from those agencies who are providing the benefit.

As for the joint sponsor, they will only have to pay up if YOU collect means-tested benefits AND your wife cannot pay the government agency back. Then the agency will go after the joint sponsor for repayment.

Rene
Old Aug 9th 2011, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Your fiancee should call those agencies and ask them how her benefits might be affected if she gets married, if her husband earns income, etc. The clearest answer will probably come directly from those agencies who are providing the benefit.

As for the joint sponsor, they will only have to pay up if YOU collect means-tested benefits AND your wife cannot pay the government agency back. Then the agency will go after the joint sponsor for repayment.

Rene
Probably his pension would be enough to knock out those benefits.