Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance first step

Health Insurance first step

Old Apr 26th 2010, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Health Insurance first step

Hi everyone can you please advise me what is the best way forward with health insurance.

I am a new resident in the USA and have no health insurance history here.

The agent for Blue Cross Blue Shield told me that I have to have a medical ( and questionnaire) to assess me which will give them an idea what the insurance premium will be. This is the first time she has had to deal with someone with no medical history (ie a foreigner).

Can the medical I had at Harley Street in London as part of my CR1 visit (8 weeks ago) form part of this? The original documents for that are with homeland security as I entered the USA

Please advise me on your experiences
thanks in advance
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance first step

The best way? Get a job with benefits.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the healthcare wiki. You may be able to use NHS as "creditible coverage" to avoid medical underwriting.I would also use an agent that has some clue about people in your position.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Health_Insurance
Old Apr 26th 2010, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Look at the healthcare wiki. You may be able to use NHS as "creditible coverage" to avoid medical underwriting.I would also use an agent that has some clue about people in your position.

thanks I read the WIKI, please explain what you mean by Creditable coverage from the NHS.
An agent has sent me a questionnaire and have a medical with a doctor to assess me. I haven't signed any forms yet.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by savannah_boy
thanks I read the WIKI, please explain what you mean by Creditable coverage from the NHS.
An agent has sent me a questionnaire and have a medical with a doctor to assess me. I haven't signed any forms yet.
As I understand it..

You indicate in your first post that, to the agent, you are a foreigner "with no medical history". Au contraire.. you have had health insurance up until the minute you moved, via the NHS.

People like me who have not had actual insurance are charged a penalty or refused coverage.. you don't want to be put in that bucket.

Is a medical normally required, oh other learned ones? At his young age?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
As I understand it..

You indicate in your first post that, to the agent, you are a foreigner "with no medical history". Au contraire.. you have had health insurance up until the minute you moved, via the NHS.

People like me who have not had actual insurance are charged a penalty or refused coverage.. you don't want to be put in that bucket.

Is a medical normally required, oh other learned ones? At his young age?
Tracym sent me this a few months ago when we had a similar enquiry:

The HIPAA final rule:

http://www.dol.gov/federalregister/P...px?DocId=10270

The rule was changed to specifically include foreign government plans such as the NHS. Also, it specifically says that a a certificate of creditable coverage is NOT required - just some reasonable proof (e.g. national insurance card, letter from doctor, etc.)

Search the document for the word "foreign" for applicable text.

Shorter version - here is a comment from Blue Cross/Blue Shield, which specifically mentions that the the law changed to include plans such as the NHS as creditable coverage.

http://www.bcbsil.com/PDF/legislative_update_405.pdf

FAQs address the fact that a doctor's letter or some such can suffice if a certificate of creditable cover is not available:

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html

I have gotten this to work with a private insurer, and also for another person, it was accepted by a state high risk pool.

I believe it used to be a problem, but now the law has changed. Sometimes one has to point out the law, as not all insurers are aware of it (the state high risk pool wasn't) - but they were glad to oblige once it was pointed out to them.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Tracym sent me this a few months ago when we had a similar enquiry:

The HIPAA final rule:

http://www.dol.gov/federalregister/P...px?DocId=10270

The rule was changed to specifically include foreign government plans such as the NHS. Also, it specifically says that a a certificate of creditable coverage is NOT required - just some reasonable proof (e.g. national insurance card, letter from doctor, etc.)

Search the document for the word "foreign" for applicable text.

Shorter version - here is a comment from Blue Cross/Blue Shield, which specifically mentions that the the law changed to include plans such as the NHS as creditable coverage.

http://www.bcbsil.com/PDF/legislative_update_405.pdf

FAQs address the fact that a doctor's letter or some such can suffice if a certificate of creditable cover is not available:

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html

I have gotten this to work with a private insurer, and also for another person, it was accepted by a state high risk pool.

I believe it used to be a problem, but now the law has changed. Sometimes one has to point out the law, as not all insurers are aware of it (the state high risk pool wasn't) - but they were glad to oblige once it was pointed out to them.
great thanks for that, so if I show them my NHS card or scanned copy of it. that would be sufficient?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

great thanks for that, so if I show them my NHS card or scanned copy of it. that would be sufficient?
IF they know what the NHS is. You might have to work a little bit harder.

You should be able to get quotes without all this information, btw. Proceed with caution.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 5:04 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I put my husband on my insurance a year and a half ago. He didn't have to have any sort of medical. I just sent in a copy of our marriage licence and filled out a new form and they added him.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I put my husband on my insurance a year and a half ago. He didn't have to have any sort of medical. I just sent in a copy of our marriage licence and filled out a new form and they added him.
please can everyone who did this easily name the insurance companies that they used, thanks
Old Apr 27th 2010, 4:44 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My insurance is Atlantis. www.atlantishp.com
Old Apr 27th 2010, 4:46 pm

I just realised I think my plan is only for residents of New York State.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe

Just get it sorted quickly because there's a short time frame before you drop off the continual coverage and land in the expensive land.

einsurance.com might be worth a look...and getting a job which offers it.

As for doing a medical, ask them about it.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 8:06 pm

please can everyone who did this easily name the insurance companies that they used, thanks
If a person's insurance is through their employer's plan, it won't matter to you. If you are shopping for insurance on your own, you have much more limited choices, and it's going to cost you a lot more (group vs individual plans).
Blue Cross/Blue Shield may be the best option for you but you'll want to compare, maybe through a site like ehealthinsurance.com

I have been able to get quotes without taking a medical exam.

You also need to know that insurance is limited by each state; what is available to me in Oregon is not available to you in Georgia.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

I think I should get a job at starbucks (although I hate coffee ) just for the health coverage
BTW I am following up with blue shield who need me to get physical check up because I have been in the US for under 3 months (they tell me this is the rule) and I need coverage. It doesn't sound fair but I cannot be without cover.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.