Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance/Diabetes: Very Nervous!!

Wikiposts

Health Insurance/Diabetes: Very Nervous!!

Old Jun 12th 2011, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

JCSky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance/Diabetes: Very Nervous!!

Hello everyone! I have only posted one other question before, but use the forum quite often to answer questions and reassure myself and my husband about this whole process.
I am the USC and my husband is the UKC. We have an I-130 filing date of March 31st, so not too far off now!! We are moving to Florida and already have a house over there waiting for us. (My dad bought it and is fixing it up for us ready to move in!! Can't wait!!)
Anyway, my nervousness is about medical insurance because my husband is diabetic. We have looked in to almost everything and until we know that one of us has a job, there is no way he can get insurance!!! I have spoken to the drug company which produces his insulin and they said he will be eligible for 3 months of free prescriptions, so that bit is covered, but does anyone know what we could do in the case of an emergency hospitalization?
Obviously we are going to get jobs, and hopefully BEFORE or JUST after moving over, but this is all just in case it is a lot harder than we thought!!! Any help would be great!!
Thanks!
Old Jun 13th 2011, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance/Diabetes: Very Nervous!!

Originally Posted by JCSky
Anyway, my nervousness is about medical insurance because my husband is diabetic. We have looked in to almost everything and until we know that one of us has a job, there is no way he can get insurance!!! I have spoken to the drug company which produces his insulin and they said he will be eligible for 3 months of free prescriptions, so that bit is covered, but does anyone know what we could do in the case of an emergency hospitalization?
You can't be refused treatment in an emergency room, but if you have assets (like the house you mentioned, assuming it's owned by you) they will likely come after you for repayment. If you have no assets and no income, they will likely realize it's pointless coming after you and write off some or all of the cost. And btw any emrgency room visit will end up costing you $$$.

Obviously we are going to get jobs, and hopefully BEFORE or JUST after moving over,
In this economy, I don't think that's at all obvious.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

Can you as the USC move ahead of your husband, hopefully find work and get insurance through an employer?

I'm also diabetic and I believe that other than the high-risk state pool, I'd probably be ineligible for coverage thru a private plan, so am lucky I have medical coverage through my employer!
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Best bet as mentioned, he stay put till you find a job...

You've got less than 62 days to get insurance before the break in NHS coverages means previous cover being of no help to you and pre-existing conditions can get denied and with diabetes, that list of things could be extensive.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:58 am
Just Joined

You've got less than 62 days to get insurance before the break in NHS coverages means previous cover being of no help to you and pre-existing conditions can get denied and with diabetes, that list of things could be extensive

What does this mean???
Old Jun 13th 2011, 10:13 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

What does this mean???
It means they may or may not sell you insurance, but there will likely be a clause which excludes any coverage for Diabetes or anything that "may" have been caused by the diabetes.
So he either needs to get coverage before 60 days are up or he can get royally screwed. Premiums (monthly payments) will likely also be very high and deductibles (amount you pay out before the insurance pays anything) will likely be very high also if you are buying his coverage yourselves.
Moving ahead of him and getting a job with insurance coverage is the best bet for your Dh.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Sky, There is several reasons people are moving from the US and the cost of medical care appears to be high on the list.
I'm thinking if you get health insurance though your employer would they exclude DH because of his prior condition???
Old Jun 13th 2011, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Sky, There is several reasons people are moving from the US and the cost of medical care appears to be high on the list.
I'm thinking if you get health insurance though your employer would they exclude DH because of his prior condition???
If he has creditable coverage they can only do so for six (?) months. This is the huge advantage of having group insurance. Many employers' group policies won't impose any exclusion for a pre-existing condition.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jun 13th 2011 at 10:40 am.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

What does this mean???
Health Insurers in the US require new hires (not sure about private medical policy) to provide a "certificate of credible coverage" which states that the person has previously had coverage, but I'm not sure about the 62 days that Bob quotes, as I know some employers can require employees to wait 90 days before medical coverage will begin.

In your case since you won't have a letter of credible coverage you'd need a letter, probably from his GP stating that he had medical coverage under the NHS.

The above applies to medical insurance through an employer, again, not sure about a personal policy.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 11:14 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That is not always the case. I have diabetes and I'm never been asked by any health insurers to provide a certificate of credible coverage. I agree with Giantaxe the best way for him to go is for him or his wife to get employer medical and insure the other spouse. Unfortunately, many employers no longer offer premium free coverage and unless you are working full time you are not offered it period.

Originally Posted by limeynus
Health Insurers in the US require new hires (not sure about private medical policy) to provide a "certificate of credible coverage" which states that the person has previously had coverage, but I'm not sure about the 62 days that Bob quotes, as I know some employers can require employees to wait 90 days before medical coverage will begin.

In your case since you won't have a letter of credible coverage you'd need a letter, probably from his GP stating that he had medical coverage under the NHS.

The above applies to medical insurance through an employer, again, not sure about a personal policy.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 11:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by limeynus

the 62 days comes from the gap between the NHS and any new potential coverage that will include pre-existing conditions. If it takes them longer than that to find coverage, it will probably have a exclusion to diabetes and related issues.

That's a separate issue to the employer having a probationary period before offering benefits to a new hire.

That would mess them up too in this case.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
That is not always the case. I have diabetes and I'm never been asked by any health insurers to provide a certificate of credible coverage. I agree with Giantaxe the best way for him to go is for him or his wife to get employer medical and insure the other spouse. Unfortunately, many employers no longer offer premium free coverage and unless you are working full time you are not offered it period.
Ah OK. I know that when I'm adding new employees here in California, the insurer asks for credible coverage. But yes, I agree his wife should consider coming ahead and finding employment that offers spousal coverage.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
the 62 days comes from the gap between the NHS and any new potential coverage that will include pre-existing conditions. If it takes them longer than that to find coverage, it will probably have a exclusion to diabetes and related issues.

That's a separate issue to the employer having a probationary period before offering benefits to a new hire.

That would mess them up too in this case.
Ah gotcha!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 12:24 am
Just Joined

Thank you everyone! I am definitely considering going ahead of time now! It is just that we have 2 small children, so finding them childcare while job hunting will be fun!! I didn't really want to separate them from Daddy for very long, but I think it will be worth it in the end!! Now... just the job.... this should be fun!!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone! I am definitely considering going ahead of time now! It is just that we have 2 small children, so finding them childcare while job hunting will be fun!! I didn't really want to separate them from Daddy for very long, but I think it will be worth it in the end!! Now... just the job.... this should be fun!!
Please be careful who you leave your children with at childcare. Too many horror stories out there. I'm sure there are lots of good ones you just need to find them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.