Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance to cover first month in US

Health Insurance to cover first month in US

Old Jul 16th 2009, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Edie_09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance to cover first month in US

I've searched the one-way travel insurance posts on here but couldn't find an answer. I'll be moving to the US and cannot get insurance to cover the month I am there before my college coverage begins. All the insurance companies (DU, Gowalkabout, Direct, Post Office etc) will cover a maximum of 17-21 days, leaving me with no health insurance for a week Go Walkabout told me they used to offer up to 3 months but that's all been changed recently.

I applied for short term coverage through UHC but was declined as I have not lived in the US for the past 12 months.

Has anyone had a similar experience and found a solution? I'd appreciate any suggestions you have.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance to cover first month in US

Originally Posted by Edie_09
I've searched the one-way travel insurance posts on here but couldn't find an answer. I'll be moving to the US and cannot get insurance to cover the month I am there before my college coverage begins. All the insurance companies (DU, Gowalkabout, Direct, Post Office etc) will cover a maximum of 17-21 days, leaving me with no health insurance for a week Go Walkabout told me they used to offer up to 3 months but that's all been changed recently.

I applied for short term coverage through UHC but was declined as I have not lived in the US for the past 12 months.

Has anyone had a similar experience and found a solution? I'd appreciate any suggestions you have.

Are you travelling on a one way ticket? If you have a return ticket, why does the travel agent not offer insurance? Apart from that, I have nothing, sorry.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

google expats insurance you may find a uk based company that will cover you. try seven corners, don't know if they'll only do a month though.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

I am on a one-way ticket, so most insurers will only let me use the emigration insurance. I've now been told that some do allow single trip insurance with a one-way ticket so I'll check that out as well. Thanks for your replies.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Check out that crappy student travel place for insurance, they'd probably offer it...but they are a bit shit.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I am on a one-way ticket, so most insurers will only let me use the emigration insurance. I've now been told that some do allow single trip insurance with a one-way ticket so I'll check that out as well. Thanks for your replies.
Have you tried Endsleigh? I think they specialize in students so might cover you for a situation like this.

Be careful about getting travel insurance on the basis that you are taking a holiday - this might become null and void if it became apparent that you were intending to live in the US (you probably already know this, but thought I'd point it out anyway).
Old Jul 17th 2009, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

If you are currently living in the UK, there may be a way for you to be covered immediately..... this is some information from one of the lovely posters on here called Tracym.

Your goal is to be HIPAA eligible. Then, all sorts of rules apply.

If you are HIPAA eligible, without a significant break in coverage (more than 63 days) group plans must cover all pre-existing conditions.

Here is what I had found on HIPAA and the NHS (aargh, well hidden):

http://www.bcbsil.com/PDF/legislative_update_405.pdf

Look at the bottom of page 2, re. creditable coverage - it specifically includes the NHS.

There is such a thing as a "certificate of creditable coverage" - your NHS doc simply provides a letter. In a friend’s case, they just had a doctor write a letter stating that as a British citizen, he had been covered continuously since birth by the NHS. Which was accepted.

I would suggest re-speaking to the insurers what they will accept as proof - if they even need anything specific, or will just understand that British citizens are covered. Also speak to the international officer at the college you're going to attend - they must come across this all the time.

Some info at:
http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html
and
http://www.dol.gov/federalregister/P...px?DocId=10270

If you search the document for 'foreign' you will find the references. It also talks about how to prove that you had the coverage satisfactorily.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I think he can't get coverage because he'd not have started college and the problem he is having is travel insurance he's looking for as a stop gap won't cover one way travel.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.medexassist.com

Try this company, know they have student medical plans & travel insurance.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 6:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Are you travelling on a one way ticket? If you have a return ticket, why does the travel agent not offer insurance? Apart from that, I have nothing, sorry.
That would be travel/visitor's insurance and he won't be a visitor...so if he made a claim he could run into problems with the insurance company.

Edie_09...a return ticket is usually cheaper than a one way. I know you said you've used the search function for this forum but did you go to advanced search? There's been a few threads about this subject in the last few months...someone posted details of the company they used.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

What we did in a similar situation was contact an old-fashioned insurance broker rather than trying companies directly. They arranged normal travel insurance but contacted the underwriters and got them to waive in writing the clause in the fine print that required us to be planning to return in under x days. However we only needed cover for 10 days.

I think the problem with just pretending you're taking a holiday is that you'll have no problem buying a piece of paper saying you're covered, but can't know what would happen if you had to claim.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You can't pretend to be on holiday if you enter the US with a UK PP and a one way ticket. Immigration wouldn't let you in without a via...which means you are not a visitor. If insurance companies can wriggle out of paying up they will.

Originally Posted by rew1000
What we did in a similar situation was contact an old-fashioned insurance broker rather than trying companies directly. They arranged normal travel insurance but contacted the underwriters and got them to waive in writing the clause in the fine print that required us to be planning to return in under x days. However we only needed cover for 10 days.

I think the problem with just pretending you're taking a holiday is that you'll have no problem buying a piece of paper saying you're covered, but can't know what would happen if you had to claim.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:12 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

There was a similar thread on this recently:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=616627
I haven't read through it all, but there's likely to be some good info on there. Good luck.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your advice! I was surprised as I've been over to study before and had no problems, just went with one-way travel insurance, so I hadn't expected the length of coverage offered to have reduced so much. I'll look into all your suggestions and hopefully find something.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for all your advice! I was surprised as I've been over to study before and had no problems, just went with one-way travel insurance, so I hadn't expected the length of coverage offered to have reduced so much. I'll look into all your suggestions and hopefully find something.
You haven't had a problem probably because you've never made a claim...you will not be a tourist therefore please make sure you get the correct insurance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.