Reload this Page >

Health insurance confusion

Health insurance confusion

Old Jul 26th 2020, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

expat2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health insurance confusion

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I don't think you can be covered by Medicaid if you are a new immigrant. Part of the immigration rules are who ever sponsors you is responsible for you . At least that is how it used to work.
Maybe the OP has been here awhile?
If you must know, I have been here almost years. NJ requires 5 years before eligible for NJ Family Care. But I've not been here for all of the six years because I had health insurance through work but it didn't cover me for what I needed when I got really sick and I had to return to the UK for a year to get treatment (even privately in the UK that treatment was 25% of the US costs). Hence, no, I haven't a bloody clue how the health system works here, but I'm fully aware of how it doesn't work!
Old Jul 27th 2020, 12:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expat2000
If you must know, I have been here almost years. NJ requires 5 years before eligible for NJ Family Care. But I've not been here for all of the six years because I had health insurance through work but it didn't cover me for what I needed when I got really sick and I had to return to the UK for a year to get treatment (even privately in the UK that treatment was 25% of the US costs). Hence, no, I haven't a bloody clue how the health system works here, but I'm fully aware of how it doesn't work!
I've been here over 30 years and i agree it is not easy to understand. I hope you get it sorted soon. Hopefully your coverage with your job will be easier to work with.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

To get back to your original question, if you want to get health cover for your wife, (and your work insurance is going to be too expensive) then you should be looking at the plans your State offers under the Affordable Care Act.

With low income you might be able to get subsidies to pay for the premiums.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 12:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

NY and CA allow medicaid to new immigrants.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 12:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
NY and CA allow medicaid to new immigrants.
I thought that was just for children, not adults.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 2:26 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expat2000
Thanks, Pulaski, for all the suggestions. I suppose it goes to show how effective the NHS is, compared to a system designed for profit over healthcare. The alternative to the "all you can eat buffet" approach seems to be a "menu", with each option leading to another "menu"...all of which is written in another language, and referring to our hunger way into the future. Seems to be asking the customer to rely on a crystal ball. We don't know which disease is going to come after us. We don't know what's going to happen. It's like buying a lottery ticket. What good is an insurance policy, such as one I just looked at, that covers a whole range of things but which doesn't pay for an ambulance or "facility fee" (hospital room)?

The whole health insurance system in the US just seems sick to me.
I couldn't disagree more, the cost of the NHS is unsustainable, for the entire country, and is forcing many people to buy in to a massive insurance scheme that it is not, in reality in their interests to be funding.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 2:31 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I thought that was just for children, not adults.
Buried in the Affordable Care Act was an assumption that all states would "extend" Medicaid, to cover those unable to afford ACA insurance. In practice a number of states, being most, but not all, of those run by Republican administrations, took a view that extending Medicaid was too expensive, notably because the Federal subsidy for extending Medicaid would decline significantly after several years, which will require substantial state tax increases to meet the funding gap.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Buried in the Affordable Care Act was an assumption that all states would "extend" Medicaid, to cover those unable to afford ACA insurance. In practice a number of states, being most, but not all, of those run by Republican administrations, took a view that extending Medicaid was too expensive, notably because the Federal subsidy for extending Medicaid would decline significantly after several years, which will require substantial state tax increases to meet the funding gap.
What that did do in many States was caused the healthcare companies to look at efficiencies such as telehealth and pharmacy based doctors. During the current situation this had helped a lot in giving some people continued access to healthcare.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 3:25 am
Account Closed

All people, including new legal immigrants? I thought you had to show proof of health insurance now when you entered the country?
Old Jul 27th 2020, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Many of the "renegade" Republican states have fallen in line over the years. We're up to 38 states that have expanded as compared to 25 originally:

https://www.kff.org/medicaid/issue-b...teractive-map/
Old Jul 27th 2020, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't disagree more, the cost of the NHS is unsustainable, for the entire country, and is forcing many people to buy in to a massive insurance scheme that it is not, in reality in their interests to be funding.
I'd say the country that spends 18% of GDP on healthcare whilst leaving tens of millions uninsured is the one that is more unsustainable. And the pandemic has shown just what a nutty idea tying health insurance to employment is.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'd say the country that spends 18% of GDP on healthcare whilst leaving tens of millions uninsured is the one that is more unsustainable. And the pandemic has shown just what a nutty idea tying health insurance to employment is.
You have to remember, healthcare is a huge job creation scheme in the US. Many thousands of people would lose their jobs if a single payer system was adopted.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mrken30
You have to remember, healthcare is a huge job creation scheme in the US. Many thousands of people would lose their jobs if a single payer system was adopted.
I doubt propping up a vastly inefficient and costly enterprise is a sustainable way to grow the economy.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I doubt propping up a vastly inefficient and costly enterprise is a sustainable way to grow the economy.
Probably true, but many countries have an expensive, inefficient civil service. What's the difference? One come out of taxes, one comes out of necessity to stay alive and healthy.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mrken30
Probably true, but many countries have an expensive, inefficient civil service. What's the difference? One come out of taxes, one comes out of necessity to stay alive and healthy.
There’s no necessity to spend 18% of GDP on healthcare, exclude millions from effective access and end up with a system that ranks poorly compared to many other western nations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.