British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Health insurance -big problems! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/health-insurance-big-problems-760020/)

Rete May 31st 2012 8:19 pm

Re: Health insurance -big problems!

Try Humana. It worked for my daughter and her family price wise.

GeoffM Jun 1st 2012 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 10093520)
Try Humana. It worked for my daughter and her family price wise.

Unfortunately don't cover this county, but thanks anyway.

GeoffM Jun 1st 2012 8:28 pm

As DD was burning up we took her to the doctors, costly or otherwise. Though she was covered from today and a letter to prove it, the office wouldn't accept it as they needed the actual ID card. Excellent work Blue Shield, by delaying sending the card the coverage we're paying for is worthless. So $65 for the visit and $48 for meds including antibiotics - thankfully not too much.

Also we managed to get physical exams organized at that office. I'm sure they were one of the places I phoned previously to try to get exams and they declined to do so, but speaking to the doctor while examining DD got better results than speaking to the receptionist. No different from the UK there!

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 2nd 2012 3:53 am

This is one of the big issues why I can't move back to California. I could never afford the insurance.

Last year when I was looking into possibly moving back, I figured I would likely be denied as I have pre-existing stuff that does require ongoing care, and if I did find coverage, I would likely paying 1-2+ weeks pay into insurance.

My last job there did offer insurance, but it was 75/week or 1 weeks pay after taxes, that was before any co-payments (50-100).

Giantaxe Jun 2nd 2012 5:08 am

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10095405)
As DD was burning up we took her to the doctors, costly or otherwise. Though she was covered from today and a letter to prove it, the office wouldn't accept it as they needed the actual ID card. Excellent work Blue Shield, by delaying sending the card the coverage we're paying for is worthless. So $65 for the visit and $48 for meds including antibiotics - thankfully not too much.

If your coverage is in effect from today, you should be able to get reimbursed by Blue Shield for this. The effective date of coverage is what matters, not whether you happen to have received your id cards.

Bob Jun 2nd 2012 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 10095971)
If your coverage is in effect from today, you should be able to get reimbursed by Blue Shield for this. The effective date of coverage is what matters, not whether you happen to have received your id cards.

But it sure is a ball ache getting the money back from a stone.

GeoffM Jun 16th 2012 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 10095971)

Ok, I'll give that a try!

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10096400)
But it sure is a ball ache getting the money back from a stone.

Yep, kind of expecting that.

Today we received the ID cards from Blue Shit, two weeks "late". Today we also received the ID cards from Kaiser, two weeks before coverage starts (we'll be dropping Blue Shield). That's only for the kids but the wife is approved also, averaging about $200 each, a quarter of what Blue Shield proposed. Mine is a little trickier but the rejection letter wanted proof of prior cover and a statement that I wasn't eligible for COBRA and a few other requirements that I believe I meet. Fingers crossed they'll quote me, they won't suddenly introduce more excuses, and it won't be excessively high.... maybe!

SanDiegogirl Jun 16th 2012 4:45 pm

Wow, sounds like you got a great deal from Kaiser for average of 200 bucks a month each for wife and children.

Glad it worked out.