Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health insurance -big problems!

Health insurance -big problems!

Old May 30th 2012, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance -big problems!

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
The most solid option you have is to go find a small business association and see if their brokers can get you an employer policy for you that would cover your family as well. They might be able to, they might not but figure it taking a month or so.

On the cost for the kids, what you quoted doesn't seem terribly bad. Kids are high risk.
Have you got any ideas for an SBA though? Would it end up having the same problems as the IGDA?

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You say that you were denied individual coverage because you could not complete the forms from the UK.

Have you tried applying again since being in the US?

Even though you have some pre-conditions (you eye operation) isn't it worth a try again?
I applied for individual cover from the UK but yes denied due to non-resident, despite putting in the notes that we would be resident from the effective date. That was Blue Shield.

I applied again through the IGDA when I arrived in the US and this was the result. The agent said she we could appeal and submit certain things (I now have a letter from my UK doctor after chasing it this morning - sent to wrong email address) but I've no idea whether appeals are worth trying. Certainly for the kids, the price "ought" to come way down once they've had physical exams, but I can't get appointments anywhere before late June!

Had a chat with a local broker this morning: this was unusual territory for her and she's going to do some digging and ring me back (I hope).
Old May 30th 2012, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Have you got any ideas for an SBA though? Would it end up having the same problems as the IGDA?

I applied for individual cover from the UK but yes denied due to non-resident, despite putting in the notes that we would be resident from the effective date. That was Blue Shield.

I applied again through the IGDA when I arrived in the US and this was the result. The agent said she we could appeal and submit certain things (I now have a letter from my UK doctor after chasing it this morning - sent to wrong email address) but I've no idea whether appeals are worth trying. Certainly for the kids, the price "ought" to come way down once they've had physical exams, but I can't get appointments anywhere before late June!

Had a chat with a local broker this morning: this was unusual territory for her and she's going to do some digging and ring me back (I hope).
I don't know about your area but I would start with Google and see what you can find. It wouldnt be the same as what you experienced as they would only broker your company under their umbrella to get a better rate as they are pushing multiple businesses to the insurance company.

You may also have to come to terms with the fact you may not get any insurance for the immediate future and when you do your pre-existing conditions won't be covered.
Old May 30th 2012, 8:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The most solid option you have is to go find a small business association and see if their brokers can get you an employer policy for you that would cover your family as well. They might be able to, they might not but figure it taking a month or so.
That's kind of the idea of using the IGDA though as it's fairly large.

Still, for a local option, best bet is to google the town business association, well at least down my way, every town has one, either as a "local businesses accommodation" or "chamber of commerce" and for a bunch of the smaller local towns, they get grouped together.
Old May 30th 2012, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Still, for a local option, best bet is to google the town business association, well at least down my way, every town has one, either as a "local businesses accommodation" or "chamber of commerce" and for a bunch of the smaller local towns, they get grouped together.
It sounded like the IGDA was for individual policies rather than employer sponsored policies. If that's not the case then maybe the OP needs to reapply as a company and not individual.
Old May 30th 2012, 9:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It sounded like the IGDA was for individual policies rather than employer sponsored policies. If that's not the case then maybe the OP needs to reapply as a company and not individual.
It offered both. A group rate for members applying as individuals or for small companies.

The rate was dependent on local factors, but the aim point about this was that it fell under a umbrella group policy, which would not exclude pre-existing conditions.

Something either went very wrong if that isn't the case, or there was a state issue in it.
Old May 30th 2012, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about your area but I would start with Google and see what you can find. It wouldnt be the same as what you experienced as they would only broker your company under their umbrella to get a better rate as they are pushing multiple businesses to the insurance company.
Ok, I understand now. Although I found a local SBA and emailed, they haven't responded yet. Kind of getting used to not having calls or emails returned.

You may also have to come to terms with the fact you may not get any insurance for the immediate future and when you do your pre-existing conditions won't be covered.
I'm not too worried about my pre-existing tbh, I'm fairly comfortable as long as I can get glaucoma meds - even if I have to pay privately. My NHS supply runs out next month. I wonder if an optician is able to prescribe these here...? Cosopt and Iopidine in case anyone knows what I mean.

Originally Posted by Bob

Yeah, one for the Inland Empire with a local office here. I'll phone them later if I haven't had a response.

Hmm, I do remember putting company details in the initial application form - though not on the Blue Shield specific form (which was 27 pages, not 15 that I said before!). But the agent said it wasn't individual cover - nor was it group cover .
Old May 30th 2012, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
It offered both. A group rate for members applying as individuals or for small companies.

The rate was dependent on local factors, but the aim point about this was that it fell under a umbrella group policy, which would not exclude pre-existing conditions.

Something either went very wrong if that isn't the case, or there was a state issue in it.
I've re-asked the question to Association Pros, in fact used your wording too, hope you don't mind!

Thanks.
Old May 30th 2012, 9:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I've re-asked the question to Association Pros, in fact used your wording too, hope you don't mind!

Thanks.
Good luck.

If nothing comes of this, then ask members of the board.

Dustin Clingman - Chair
Coray Seifert
Wendy Despain
Darius Kazemi

First name @igda.org to get in touch directly. These folks are ones to ping as the rest are pretty useless and you'll at least most likely get a response from Wendy and Darius if anyone.
Old May 30th 2012, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Good luck.

If nothing comes of this, then ask members of the board.

Dustin Clingman - Chair
Coray Seifert
Wendy Despain
Darius Kazemi

First name @igda.org to get in touch directly. These folks are ones to ping as the rest are pretty useless and you'll at least most likely get a response from Wendy and Darius if anyone.
Wow, names, thanks!

Just received a couple of emails from Blue Shield confirming coverage - at 20% higher than stated yesterday because no prior coverage had been received - yet I sent a letter from our GPs confirming cover.
Old May 30th 2012, 10:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried getting coverage with Kaiser permanente. we had them for many years and both boys were born when we had them, the doctors were really nice and so were the hospital stays. But it can be a bit of a pain making appointments with their phone system. Once you master it it's a doddle.
Old May 30th 2012, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Have you tried getting coverage with Kaiser permanente. we had them for many years and both boys were born when we had them, the doctors were really nice and so were the hospital stays. But it can be a bit of a pain making appointments with their phone system. Once you master it it's a doddle.
Wife is starting to fill in the forms. She hasn't reached the demoralisation stage yet like me! She's still optimistic that the quote she received on the phone will be the one and that they'll cover us... told her she's welcome to fill in the forms and find out in few weeks that they might reject us too.
Old May 31st 2012, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have only enquired with Blue Shield regarding individual policies.

You should look at ehealthinsurance.com, find several plans and apply to them all.

This is what I did when looking for plans for hubby and I - we were turned down by a couple but got insurance upon appeal.

Its a long shot but you have nothing to lose.
Old May 31st 2012, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Sounds like you have only enquired with Blue Shield regarding individual policies.

You should look at ehealthinsurance.com, find several plans and apply to them all.

This is what I did when looking for plans for hubby and I - we were turned down by a couple but got insurance upon appeal.

Its a long shot but you have nothing to lose.
I did use eHealthInsurance for the Blue Shield application. Looking back through my emails I did start a Kaiser application but never finished it for some reason. It's expired now so I'll have to do it again.

How long did the appeal take?
Old May 31st 2012, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Its several years ago but I think the appeal took about 2 to three weeks from when they first denied my coverage and then I sent them the letter of appeal.

Good luck.
Old May 31st 2012, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wendy at IGDA said she'd poke from her end but not a lot she could do really, which is understandable. AssPros say there's not a lot I can do now, just get those physicals - but according to the paperwork I'd have to resubmit applications for the kids once that's done (sigh, 27 pages again). The wife and I have applied to Kaiser and I guess I'll start on Anthem tonight, maybe others if I can find them. AssPros did send a travel policy suggestion but it's not for LPRs.

To cap it all, 7-month old DD has a fever and is coughing and crying and clingy. I hope it's just a cold, but their healthcare kicks in tomorrow anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.