British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Health insurance -big problems! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/health-insurance-big-problems-760020/)

SanDiegogirl May 29th 2012 11:43 pm

Re: Health insurance -big problems!

Originally Posted by Moonshadow_Girl (Post 10089743)
Copied from their website:

What if my child doesn't qualify for Healthy Families? Is there other health coverage I can get?
  • If your income is below the limit for Healthy Families, you may qualify for no-cost Medi-Cal. You can let Healthy Families send your application to the county office near you to find out if you qualify for Medi-Cal.
  • If your income is above the limit for Healthy Families, there may be other programs you can use. Call 1-800-880-5305 for more information. The call is free.

Since the OP is not a citizen of the US I don't believe he qualifies for Medical Medi-Cal (the Californian option for Medicaid):-

Do I qualify for Medi-Cal benefits?

IF YOU ARE ENROLLED IN ONE OF THE FOLLOWING PROGRAMS, YOU CAN GET MEDI-CAL:

SSI/SSP
CalWorks (AFDC)
Refugee Assistance
Foster Care or Adoption Assistance Program
In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)

Moonshadow_Girl May 29th 2012 11:51 pm

I was referring to insurance for his children through Healthy Families (which is related to Medi-Cal), and I indicated that I wasn't sure if his children were U.S. citizens. Either way, Geoff has said he makes too much, but there was a phone number listed on the website to call for other options for those that make above the maximum allowed.

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 10089755)
Since the OP is not a citizen of the US I don't believe he qualifies for Medical Medi-Cal (the Californian option for Medicaid):-

Do I qualify for Medi-Cal benefits?

IF YOU ARE ENROLLED IN ONE OF THE FOLLOWING PROGRAMS, YOU CAN GET MEDI-CAL:

SSI/SSP
CalWorks (AFDC)
Refugee Assistance
Foster Care or Adoption Assistance Program
In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)

GeoffM May 30th 2012 12:06 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 10089734)
If I remember correctly you are a Software Consultant. Have you formed a company/partnership for your work?

The reason I ask is that if you have a company and there are 2 or more of you in the company (you and wife maybe?) you many be able to apply for Group health insurance for your company.

Correct but each person has to work at least 20 hours a week - I don't think I could even pretend that my wife works that much for me, even if I drop my hours to 20 (I don't think 2 part timers qualify, one must be a full timer).

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 10089734)
You need to get a Health Insurance agent as soon as possible. Not surprised that the work based groups did not cover pre-conditions - so few policies, apart from employment based policies, do.

I was led to believe, or at least thought I understood, that going via the IGDA would give the same benefits as employment-based policies. But clearly not!

GeoffM May 30th 2012 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Moonshadow_Girl (Post 10089743)
Copied from their website:

What if my child doesn't qualify for Healthy Families? Is there other health coverage I can get?
  • If your income is below the limit for Healthy Families, you may qualify for no-cost Medi-Cal. You can let Healthy Families send your application to the county office near you to find out if you qualify for Medi-Cal.
  • If your income is above the limit for Healthy Families, there may be other programs you can use. Call 1-800-880-5305 for more information. The call is free.

I did see that but haven't called yet - I'm a little skeptical of any success getting anywhere!

I've emailed 3 local agents, none of whom have answered their phones, hopefully get some kind of response tomorrow.

GeoffM May 30th 2012 12:12 am

Oh, and add the 62-day issue to my problems... that's looming on the horizon as it's taken over a month to get this far.

Jerseygirl May 30th 2012 12:20 am

Sorry you're having to go through all this Geoff. This thread confirms what we say to new members who want to move or move their aged parents to the US.

GeoffM May 30th 2012 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10089827)
Sorry you're having to go through all this Geoff. This thread confirms what we say to new members who want to move or move their aged parents to the US.

It's annoying as I thought I had it all in hand! Quoted before I left the UK, they knew the circumstances. Filled out the form (13 pages) soon after arrival, sent off. Some time later, "sorry, we sent you last year's form by mistake, please fill in the new 15 page form". Filled in and sent off. Two weeks later, this.

Jerseygirl May 30th 2012 12:30 am

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10089839)
It's annoying as I thought I had it all in hand! Quoted before I left the UK, they knew the circumstances. Filled out the form (13 pages) soon after arrival, sent off. Some time later, "sorry, we sent you last year's form by mistake, please fill in the new 15 page form". Filled in and sent off. Two weeks later, this.

Grrrr...and no one is accountable and you suffer the consequences. :mad:

Giantaxe May 30th 2012 4:23 am

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10089839)

Unfortunately "quoted" means essentially nothing until you've applied and a policy has been underwritten.

GeoffM May 30th 2012 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 10090085)
Unfortunately "quoted" means essentially nothing until you've applied and a policy has been underwritten.

Quoted was probably the wrong word - I was expecting the rates to go up once they saw our applications but was led to believe they would nevertheless be accepted under group policies.

I also don't qualify for PCIP as I had foreign country coverage (ie NHS) within the last 6 months. The MRMIP has a waitlist with 27 people currently but I've no idea what the wait time is. Enrollment 15-20 days.

lansbury May 30th 2012 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by guitarmaan (Post 10089709)
How did you find the agent, from a site list or a recommendation?

My wife did it all. I think she just search Google for agents and emailed them for quotes. Then spoke with a couple on the phone.

She was turned down as we knew she would be (diabetic), but the day we arrived the agent help her enroll in Oregon Medical Insurance Pool, which is run by Blue Cross/Blue Shield for the State as a high risk pool.

nun May 30th 2012 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 10090995)
She was turned down as we knew she would be (diabetic), but the day we arrived the agent help her enroll in Oregon Medical Insurance Pool, which is run by Blue Cross/Blue Shield for the State as a high risk pool.

Access and cost of medical insurance varies greatly between the states. Anyone moving to the US who does not have access to employer sponsored health insurance must familiarize themselves with the private and state insurance available, or not as the case may be.

Bob May 30th 2012 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10089604)
Allegedly joining something like the IGDA would give group rates and cover pre-existing conditions (see http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...2&postcount=34 for example). I can't comment on the former but the latter is apparently NOT covered - yes it's group coverage, but not employer-based group coverage, and doesn't cover pre-existing. I'm not blaming the posters here: up until now Association Pros, who handle the IGDA insurance, never said there would be these problems.

The problem with the IGDA cover, they had to abide by local state laws to get it, which meant dolling out cover via a local state broker.

This meant that while you could get a group rate, all the other things depended on the state and isn't easy for them to know about unless they obviously dealt with a lot of people in that state. Surprised CA didn't have more people using it tbh though.

Also to add, apart from the medical insurance thing, the IGDA is unfortunately as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Duncan Roberts May 30th 2012 6:18 pm

The most solid option you have is to go find a small business association and see if their brokers can get you an employer policy for you that would cover your family as well. They might be able to, they might not but figure it taking a month or so.

On the cost for the kids, what you quoted doesn't seem terribly bad. Kids are high risk.

SanDiegogirl May 30th 2012 6:24 pm

You say that you were denied individual coverage because you could not complete the forms from the UK.

Have you tried applying again since being in the US?

Even though you have some pre-conditions (you eye operation) isn't it worth a try again?