Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health insurance - am I covered as a dependent

Health insurance - am I covered as a dependent

Old Jan 15th 2016, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance - am I covered as a dependent

Originally Posted by thinbrit
It is up to the employer. As previously noted, the employer must pay for at least 50% coverage for the employee (some of my staff are fully funded). There is no requirement to provide insurance for a spouse. I don't know why they wouldn't as typically the spouse pays 100% of the premium, and the clerical work needed to add them is minimal.
We even go so far, as allowed by our carrier, to extend it to domestic partners. It costs us nothing, but is of huge benefit to the employee.
In a company that employs a lot of low-income employees it can make sense because it means the spouse can buy insurance on the exchange and qualify for a subsidy rather than paying the full premium for the insurance offered by the company.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 7:09 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance - am I covered as a dependent

There have been some companies lately that have tried the "no dependents" approach but they are subject to some severe criticism and losing of employees. I would be surprised if a senior level person was offered insurance that didn't include dependents, but you'll need to ask specifically of your HR person whether it is included (maybe after you get an offer) and whether your pre-existing condition would be a problem.

Note that in some law firms, which are set up as partnerships, the senior partners have to pay 100% of their insurance (i.e. no subsidy) as they are the parties to the company. Can come as a surprise to some senior people as the rates for full insurance for a family can be quite high without a subsidy.