Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Old Apr 25th 2018, 7:10 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance

Originally Posted by vikingsail
To the OP and anyone else for that matter looking at US Health Insurance. This poster sums it up perfectly. Unless your somehow in a large group scheme this will be your experience. Never ever under estimate the cold calculating ruthlessness of US Health Insurance companies. They do not exist to help you when ill, thats a European approach - they exist purely with one motive to make profit. You are merely an inconvenience if ill and will be dealt with accordingly, and subsequently dropped at the earliest opportunity.

They do have a ruthless side.
Something I was unaware of was the need to repay their costs if you were ever awarded a medical settlement.

I was part of a class action for a drug malpractice case.
I had developed bladder cancer and after quite a few surgeries I am now clear.

Medical costs at the time were a few hundred in co-pays ect.

Fast forward a couple of years and I'm awarded $250k. Lawyers take apx 55% despite the 40% contract, they easily get around that.
Then my insurance company comes after me for $68K..

Didn’t get a lot of change from that $250K.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 8:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
They do have a ruthless side.
Something I was unaware of was the need to repay their costs if you were ever awarded a medical settlement.

I was part of a class action for a drug malpractice case.
I had developed bladder cancer and after quite a few surgeries I am now clear.

Medical costs at the time were a few hundred in co-pays ect.

Fast forward a couple of years and I'm awarded $250k. Lawyers take apx 55% despite the 40% contract, they easily get around that.
Then my insurance company comes after me for $68K..

Didn’t get a lot of change from that $250K.
I seem to remember someone posted something similar a few years ago after an accident. After lawyers fees and insurance/medical costs there wasn’t much left for the injured person.
Old May 21st 2018, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

lenswipe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
NO! travel insurance is for short visits on holiday, not for people moving on a visa, you would be performing insurance fraud, and you have to be a UK resident in any case for the insurance to be valid.

Wait, what? I've been buying travel insurance all this time. I bought from Patriot America and they told me that I could use their policy for this..

Originally Posted by tom169
EAD can be expedited.
I'm trying to do this at the moment. It's now several days over my priority date and the stance from the agent I just spoke to was basically "It'll take the time it takes, sit tight"

Last edited by lenswipe; May 21st 2018 at 4:21 pm.
Old May 21st 2018, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lenswipe
Wait, what? I've been buying travel insurance all this time. I bought from Patriot America and they told me that I could use their policy for this..
Patriot do a number of different types of insurance so firstly exactly which plan is it? I'm sure they're quite happy to take your money - but good luck trying to make a claim if it's the wrong type of insurance.
Old May 21st 2018, 4:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to do this at the moment. It's now several days over my priority date and the stance from the agent I just spoke to was basically "It'll take the time it takes, sit tight"
Did you go in person via Infopass appointment, with proof of why it's a hardship to be without an EAD?

Rene
Old May 22nd 2018, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Did you go in person via Infopass appointment, with proof of why it's a hardship to be without an EAD?

Rene
No, because I only tried today to get an infopass appointment and there are none. I hadn't heard of that before. Plus, I don't have any proof of hardship currently.

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Patriot do a number of different types of insurance so firstly exactly which plan is it? I'm sure they're quite happy to take your money - but good luck trying to make a claim if it's the wrong type of insurance.
Patriot America Plus. The CS rep said it was fine for my situation.
Old May 22nd 2018, 1:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No, because I only tried today to get an infopass appointment and there are none. I hadn't heard of that before. Plus, I don't have any proof of hardship currently.
Then you'll probably have a hard time getting it expedited.

Rene
Old May 22nd 2018, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

For info pass I would recommend checking early morning, starting say 7am and then every hour for a few hours.
Old May 22nd 2018, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Then you'll probably have a hard time getting it expedited.

Rene
Quite so. What, exactly would prove hardship?
Old May 22nd 2018, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Quite so. What, exactly would prove hardship?
A job offer.
Old May 22nd 2018, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
A job offer.
Hmm, I've heard that before i think. Presumably I'd need to present the actual job offer letter.
Old May 22nd 2018, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Patriot America Plus. The CS rep said it was fine for my situation.
It is not unheard of for people to be sold a policy that is entirely unsuitable for their needs - it's been reported first hand on this forum so that's why we ask specifically. That said, it looks like you would be covered, sort of, for up to 2 years. It's not full coverage and - if the individual mandate even applies any more - probably wouldn't absolve you of any tax fines for not having proper insurance. It's capped at a choice of low levels (50k-500k): just one nasty car crash, an operation, a few nights in ICU and that's your policy maxed out and now worthless. If something sounds too good to be true... I'm not trying to twist the knife. Just things to consider.
Old May 22nd 2018, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GeoffM
It is not unheard of for people to be sold a policy that is entirely unsuitable for their needs - it's been reported first hand on this forum so that's why we ask specifically. That said, it looks like you would be covered, sort of, for up to 2 years. It's not full coverage and - if the individual mandate even applies any more - probably wouldn't absolve you of any tax fines for not having proper insurance. It's capped at a choice of low levels (50k-500k): just one nasty car crash, an operation, a few nights in ICU and that's your policy maxed out and now worthless. If something sounds too good to be true... I'm not trying to twist the knife. Just things to consider.
Perhaps, but to the best of my knowledge I have no other choice. I can't go on my wife's insurance because I have no SSN. I have no SSN because i have no EAD. I have no ead because USCIS are useless.
Old May 22nd 2018, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Hmm, I've heard that before i think. Presumably I'd need to present the actual job offer letter.
Yes, on company letterhead etc. All genuine and will probably be checked by USCIS. Not guaranteed to be successful, but it can show financial hardships for you and the company.
Old May 22nd 2018, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Perhaps, but to the best of my knowledge I have no other choice. I can't go on my wife's insurance because I have no SSN. I have no SSN because i have no EAD. I have no ead because USCIS are useless.
You can get on health insurance without an SSN. USCIS are just backlogged.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.