Reload this Page >

Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Old Apr 13th 2018, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health Insurance

Originally Posted by JuniorJ194
I’m looking to study mainly, I’ve applied for Met College in the Fall and then onto a Bachelors Degree hopefully. I can get healthcare through the college I’m applying for, but will need it until then. I’ve been looking at temporary plans and they don’t look too bad price wise.

But not working will kill me for sure.
Suggest you check with the College how they will treat you and what they will charge for someone adjusting status.

You will not be working before the year end, one of the joys of the K1.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

JuniorJ194 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Suggest you check with the College how they will treat you and what they will charge for someone adjusting status.

You will not be working before the year end, one of the joys of the K1.
I’m in contact with them about it at the moment.

Yeah I know, there’s me thinking the hard bit was over! The stress has only just started lol.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

Absolutely, you have just done the easy bit..
Old Apr 13th 2018, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve been looking at temporary plans and they don’t look too bad price wise.
Presumably you mean the premiums don't look too bad. There is a reason for that: should you need anything (doctor visit, or worse) you will be paying out huge amounts. Many exclusions and limits apply - you could blow the limit in one nasty trip and then be liable for the rest. Deductibles may apply per visit, not per plan life. One plan I looked at had a $350 ER visit limit: one encounter with a doctor in ER will exceed that limit, not to mention the scare stories of other "interested" doctors checking up on you - and then billing you $500 for the privilege. Prescription limit for the same was $250 which again you could blow in one course of antibiotics.

Assuming the individual mandate is not abolished (or was it already?), these plans don't count as credible coverage so you'll get a big tax bill for not having proper insurance. All worth checking.

It's a useful stop gap, but not one I'd choose if you can get a proper plan.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 7:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get it for 4100 jump on it.

Agree with the travel insurance comments, there are policies you can buy her for new residents but they are not very good but maybe better than nothing.

Once you marry and file then you can go for OCare, I would have thought as a spouse you could be added to her Uni cover which is likely to be the best idea.

EAD/AP is taking 4 months or so after you file. So a looong time before you can work.
The USC Spouse does NOT have her own policy. She is young enough and still in college and listed under mom and dad's healthcare policy and therefore she cannot add a spouse.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 7:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I’m in contact with them about it at the moment.

Yeah I know, there’s me thinking the hard bit was over! The stress has only just started lol.
You have no clue.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 9:12 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Since you're already looking at the student health insurance with the college - in Austin it is possible to sign up for online classes worth 3 credits and then get your student health insurance. Apparently, you don't even need to complete the online course or do any of the work.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 9:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Presumably you mean the premiums don't look too bad. There is a reason for that: should you need anything (doctor visit, or worse) you will be paying out huge amounts. Many exclusions and limits apply - you could blow the limit in one nasty trip and then be liable for the rest. Deductibles may apply per visit, not per plan life. One plan I looked at had a $350 ER visit limit: one encounter with a doctor in ER will exceed that limit, not to mention the scare stories of other "interested" doctors checking up on you - and then billing you $500 for the privilege. Prescription limit for the same was $250 which again you could blow in one course of antibiotics.

Assuming the individual mandate is not abolished (or was it already?), these plans don't count as credible coverage so you'll get a big tax bill for not having proper insurance. All worth checking.

It's a useful stop gap, but not one I'd choose if you can get a proper plan.
Ain’t that the truth. One night I took hubby to the ER...just before we left the doctor said ‘my attending would like to introduce himself’. ‘Hello I’m doctor xxxxx everything ok...good’. KerChing $$$$...yes he billed us for that.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

EAD can be expedited.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

Well you need a valid reason.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Well you need a valid reason.
No shit. Mine was a job offer. Hardly difficult to acquire.
Old Apr 14th 2018, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

plasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
$100 a month? I think you missed a 0

Ha ha ha, I think so also. Our health insurance which is basically rubbish costs me $160.00 a month. I have cancer of the blood and receive oral chemotherapy which I take every day, it costs a staggering $16k a month, my co-pay is $250.00 a month which there is no way I can afford that so I have a special deal with a charity that pays most and allows me to pay just $10.00. I have to carry on working because if I stop I will be covered for only a further 6 weeks, then cover stops. The health insurance system here is an dam disgrace, insurance should cover you when you are sick, if you are too sick to work you should be covered for the rest of your life, but no ! You are abandoned and left to die by your wonderful insurance company.
Imagine having car insurance and when you had an accident the cover stopped and you got nothing ? That is how most health insurance companies work here and it's not just here, my best friend in the world lives in the UK, he has been a member of BUPA since the early 90's, he recently developed cancer and when he went to pay his annual premium BUPA cancelled his cover and he is now reliant on the wonderful NHS.
I am 64 years old and wanted to retire next year, now I find I can't, I would die if I did.
Don't believe the lies told to sell you health insurance and never complain about the NHS.
Rant over and I am sorry I went on and ruined your post
Old Apr 14th 2018, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

plasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Ain’t that the truth. One night I took hubby to the ER...just before we left the doctor said ‘my attending would like to introduce himself’. ‘Hello I’m doctor xxxxx everything ok...good’. KerChing $$$$...yes he billed us for that.

LOL. My bill for my first 2 nights in hospital last year was $48,000.00. The total bill so far is over half a million dollars. No way I can ever pay that unless I win the lottery LOL
Old Apr 21st 2018, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I’m looking to study mainly, I’ve applied for Met College in the Fall and then onto a Bachelors Degree hopefully. I can get healthcare through the college I’m applying for, but will need it until then. I’ve been looking at temporary plans and they don’t look too bad price wise.

But not working will kill me for sure.
With your fiance in Med school and only in part time work how do you intend to support yourselves for the next 6 to 8 months?
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticbag_uk
Ha ha ha, I think so also. Our health insurance which is basically rubbish costs me $160.00 a month. I have cancer of the blood and receive oral chemotherapy which I take every day, it costs a staggering $16k a month, my co-pay is $250.00 a month which there is no way I can afford that so I have a special deal with a charity that pays most and allows me to pay just $10.00. I have to carry on working because if I stop I will be covered for only a further 6 weeks, then cover stops. The health insurance system here is an dam disgrace, insurance should cover you when you are sick, if you are too sick to work you should be covered for the rest of your life, but no ! You are abandoned and left to die by your wonderful insurance company.
Imagine having car insurance and when you had an accident the cover stopped and you got nothing ? That is how most health insurance companies work here and it's not just here, my best friend in the world lives in the UK, he has been a member of BUPA since the early 90's, he recently developed cancer and when he went to pay his annual premium BUPA cancelled his cover and he is now reliant on the wonderful NHS.
I am 64 years old and wanted to retire next year, now I find I can't, I would die if I did.
Don't believe the lies told to sell you health insurance and never complain about the NHS.
Rant over and I am sorry I went on and ruined your post
To the OP and anyone else for that matter looking at US Health Insurance. This poster sums it up perfectly. Unless your somehow in a large group scheme this will be your experience. Never ever under estimate the cold calculating ruthlessness of US Health Insurance companies. They do not exist to help you when ill, thats a European approach - they exist purely with one motive to make profit. You are merely an inconvenience if ill and will be dealt with accordingly, and subsequently dropped at the earliest opportunity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.