Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Old Apr 12th 2011, 6:58 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance

Originally Posted by britishdraft
I have clearly described the rule, exactly in the context.
Your statements are delivered in an authoritative manner but with no validation. If your responses are based on a better level of knowledge than the information which is publicly available or easily found then you should let us know/explain how you know/provide a reference/etc.

Other similar insurance companies specifically allow dual nationals to choose the citizenship pertaining to their insurance. Check out Expatriate Insurance Services, for one. No idea if they are any good, but they mention dual citizenship clearly and let the customer choose. In a quick check I don't see anything in the publicly available Patriot information that supports your statements. Sure, they don't specifically make it clear like some other insurers do, but neither do they appear to disallow it.

I choose to remain a disbeliever, simply because no facts have been presented to persuade me otherwise.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 7:55 pm
Banned

britishdraft is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried to post the link, but it has not been yet moderated so that it is visible.

Anyway, I will try to describe in words, to the extent I can:

Look at the brochure. It clearly says that the insurance is for U.S. citizens traveling outside the U.S. and non-U.S. citizens traveling outside the home country.

The fact that you are citizen of some other country does not change the fact that you are still a U.S. citizen and that is what it makes you ineligible to purchase that insurance for use within the U.S. To further validate that fact, try doing the application. You will be asked a question "Home Country". Next to that is a question mark. Click on that, it will tell you that 'If you are a US citizen, your home country is always US'.

I can write all this authoratively because I have been selling Patriot plans for last one decade and in fact I am the largest seller of Patriot plans in the world consistently (Of course, we sell only to those who are eligible.) We do this day in and day out and I know the rules very well.

I hope it is clear now.

If not, go ahead and buy it and wait until your claim is rejected.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I've kinda wondered this myself. If I moved to the UK with my dual Brit/USC hubby, and then we wanted to visit the US for holiday, would we even be eligible for travel insurance since we are both US cits? Wouldn't there be some exclusion for USC's visiting the US?
Old Apr 12th 2011, 8:14 pm
Banned

Bluegrass Lass,

If you are U.S. citizen who permanently lives outside the U.S. and are visiting the U.S. for less than 180 days, there are several plans available. (Not Patriot plans).

However, if you are U.S. citizen who has been living abroad, and would like to move back to the U.S., you are not really visiting the U.S. You are back home. In that case, the only option is to buy the domestic health insurance plans such as Aetna, Humana, Blue Cross, Cigna, Assurant and so on. And all of those plans are state specific.

Last edited by britishdraft; Apr 12th 2011 at 8:21 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 9:06 pm
Banned

As per the demand from several people, here is the offiical reply directly from the source. I hope that would put all the arguments to rest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
----- Original Message -----
To: <snip>
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:52 PM
Subject: RE: Patriot Platinum America Eligibility questions

Hi <snip>,

Thank you for your email. You are absolutely correct; if someone is a US citizen, regardless if they have any other citizenship, we will always look upon them as a US citizen. We could cover the husband, though, for the entire six months, as long as he considers his home country to be the UK. Please let me know if you have any further questions, and I would be happy to assist. Thanks!

Sincerely,
<snip>
--------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:11 PM
To: <snip>
Subject: Patriot Platinum America Eligibility questions

<snip>,

I have a potential customer who is a couple that has been living the UK currently. Wife is both U.S. citizen and U.K. citizen while husband is only U.K. citizen. Both of them are moving to the U.S. and husband would be coming to the U.S. on an immigrant visa (he would be permanent resident once he arrives here.)

Both of them will stay in NY and Seattle for some time, and then travel to South America for some time and then settle in Seattle.

They are considering whether they would be eligible for Patriot Platinum America. They need this insurance for around 6 months until they get another domestic insurance.

I believe that as the wife is U.S. citizen, she can't get purchase Patriot Platinum America for coverage in the U.S. but she can purchase it while traveling to South America. Husband can purchase Patriot Platinum America for that entire 6 months while they would be in NY, WA and South America.

They have also contacted another agent and they are saying that this couple should just put U.K. citizenship for both of them and purchase the insurance for coverage in the U.S.

However, I believe that if the person is U.S. citizen and also a citizen of some other country, they must use U.S. citizenship for determining the eligibility criteria for Patriot Platinum plan?

Could you please confirm that my understanding is correct?

Thanks & Regards
<snip>

-------------
Please note that I provided the exact names and email addresses in the above email to prove the authenticity, but the moderator have removed them. That's fine with me, but that should not make this clarification any less official.

Last edited by britishdraft; Apr 12th 2011 at 9:43 pm.