Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

health insurance for 70-year-old immigrating to USA?

health insurance for 70-year-old immigrating to USA?

Old Dec 2nd 2021, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

huacheetah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default health insurance for 70-year-old immigrating to USA?

Hello everyone,
My MIL is thinking about immigrating to the USA. She's never worked in the States before. She'd be immigrating on her own, thru a petition from her son. What kind of health insurance/coverage is available to someone in her situation?
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

okonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: health insurance for 70-year-old immigrating to USA?

Her savings...
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 10:59 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huacheetah
Hello everyone,
My MIL is thinking about immigrating to the USA. She's never worked in the States before. She'd be immigrating on her own, thru a petition from her son. What kind of health insurance/coverage is available to someone in her situation?
I agree with the above. The premiums and copays are going to be substantial, and are liable to eat up most of her monthly income.

Unless she is independently wealthy, I would advise against because not only is she not eligible for Medicare, but if she were to need nursing home care soon (anyone can have a stroke, so don't rule it out) she would not be eligible for Medicaid depending on the State.
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 11:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

California you can get Medicaid, Medi Cal from Day One.

Buy through the Exchange. Limits how much can be charged due to age.
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

There are strict eligibility criteria to get Medi-Cal for new immigrants. (there are different rules for undocumented and legal immigrants)
Based on the fact that those sponsoring have to have a certain level of income and have to sign Affidavit of Support agreements, the likely hood of their parent then being eligible for Medical is quite low.
The income level and assets level taken into consideration are extremely low.

https://www.insubuy.com/medi-cal-eli...ew-immigrants/
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

An ACA policy through an exchange appears to be the way to go and has much improved the situation for older immigrants. Of course, any subsidy is income dependent and there is the gotcha of if their income is low enough to qualify for Medicaid they are out of luck in states that don't provide Medicaid to new immigrants.
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

https://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/med...FAQs2014b.aspx

I know that it is income restricted not savings, insubuy is a dubious source at best. Somebody here with a GC is a legal immigrant.

Affidavit of Support has nothing to do with this, Federal issue and CA fund this from their own resources.
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

huacheetah is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies! You've been so helpful!

I'll look into ACA insurance policies. She would be moving to Washington state if she came. We'd likely be paying her premiums and copays, etc.

Another option is for her to come visit for up to 6 months at a time, but I'd like her to have traveler's health insurance in that case. Can anyone recommend a good one? I would want it to cover hospitilization in the case of an emergency.

Thanks again
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

Travel insurance is like car insurance something she would be buying and who the best is will change. At 70 there might well be Insurers who would quote a 6 month trip assuming no pre existing issues the older you get etc the harder it will get especially for long visits
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 7:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t old people become eligible for Medicare after being resident for five years? They have to pay full premiums for BOTH Part A and Part B, but still a good deal for an older person.

Maybe I’m misremembering though.

Yup. Looks like premiums would be about $700 a month, not bad. (After 5 yrs residence)

Last edited by robin1234; Dec 2nd 2021 at 7:38 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 7:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by robin1234
Don’t old people become eligible for Medicare after being resident for five years? They have to pay full premiums for BOTH Part A and Part B, but still a good deal for an older person.

Yup. Looks like premiums would be about $700 a month, not bad. (After 5 yrs residence)
Depending on their income ACA could be much cheaper

Now what the situation could be in 5 years who knows, Medicare went up substantially this year
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234

Plus the cost of prescription drug coverage? So, yes, maybe cheaper than an ACA policy after the first five years depending on the income of the recipient and the ACA subsidy they get, if any.
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

https://www.hca.wa.gov/health-care-s...e/non-citizens

It seems Washington does have some cover for new Immigrants, somewhat limited but better than nothing. And this of course could change, will take some time if they decide to go the Immigrant route.

I am assuming as the OP mentioned they were paying MIL has limited income so would qualify and/or benefit from ACA subsidies. There is something for over 65's so they get the benefit even if they can not take it as a tax credit, basically for people who would otherwise be pushed into Medicaid which they do not qualify for due to 5 year bar.

There are plenty of people who sponsor parents with zero income, just need to know how to work the system.

Old Dec 3rd 2021, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Another option is for her to come visit for up to 6 months at a time, but I'd like her to have traveler's health insurance in that case. Can anyone recommend a good one? I would want it to cover hospitilization in the case of an emergency.

Thanks again
She would need to get this in the UK - some airlines offer you travel insurance when you book the tickets. You'll need to read the details very carefully, because most do not cover pre-existing conditions.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your replies! You've been so helpful!

I'll look into ACA insurance policies. She would be moving to Washington state if she came. We'd likely be paying her premiums and copays, etc.

Thanks again
Try a company called world first - very good for seniors and people with significant pre-existing conditions. Used them for a visit of then 94 YO grandfather with multiple issues (heart bypass, pacemaker, prostate cancer).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.