Reload this Page >

Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Nappster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance

Hi,

I've been in LA for a year now on an O1 visa.

I'm a pretty healthy 35 year old single male, freelance/self-employed and am now looking for health/medical insurance for myself (paid for solely by me).

Can anybody recommend a good plan/provider?

I've heard Kaiser are good but just been on their website and am completely bewildered by all the jargon, etc.

Thanks!
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:06 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance

Start here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Health_Insurance

Then go to http://www.ehealthinsurance.com

Unfortunately the plans and providers have so many variations that what works great for one person isn't necessarily going to be the same for someone else. Kaiser in San Francisco with a certain setup of such and such employer might totally suck in Los Angeles where there are different payment schemes, copays, deductibles and premiums. Your best bet is to work off of the first assumption--they all suck, and then work on developing something that will fit your financial and health circumstances.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Sharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to all

I agree with the above post, but I wanted to add that we currently have a Kaiser HMO plan through my husbands job and we are very happy with them.

We changed around two years ago from a Pacificare PPO Plan and in my opinion although their doctors are top notch...we incurred alot of unexpected fees when I suffered from suspected appendicitis.

So read the small print. For us I find Kaiser more straight forward and they seem to have an excellent preventative care program. My in-laws also have Kaiser and are also extremely happy with them.

But you have to look at Co-Pays, Overnight Hospitalisation Fees and as I say read the small print carefully.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 1:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What field you in? Look to joining a union or trade body, they usually have group rates available unless your in the games industry in which case you might as well piss in a bucket for all the IGDA do for ya.

Oh, and AAA offer some discount group rates too.