Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance

Wikiposts

Health Insurance

Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance

Originally Posted by Want2Move
Thanks, but I would like to stay with my company for a while as they are planning on starting my greencard process in a couple of months and it should not take more than a year for me to get greencard.

Only thing I am worried about is how the USCIS treats our GC applications once they find out that my wife has tumor. Some of the guys at the immigration forum think that it should not be a problem and I am hoping for the best. Thanks.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post carefully and giving me good advice. After I sent my forms to the insurance company, I felt like I made a mistake on my answers (I was not sure if I should say yes to thyroid question) and I also felt guilty for not answering YES to the tumor question. That was one of the reasons I posted my question here to get some advice.

Even though my address says Chicago, IL (I will have to update that soon), we are no longer in that area. I was a grad student there until the end of December. We recently moved to the West for a new job, but we still love Midwest very much and hope to move back there someday. Thanks again.
You are very welcome, this forum is here to help people, and if we are able to help you I am glad.

As far as state programs, you would have to check with the state you are in.

You were not dishonest with the insurance company - just tell them the further information, and I'm sure that will be fine. I'm sure many people make mistakes on the forms.

As far as your wife getting a green card, I have read the USCIS instructions to civil surgeons. Basically they have two concerns. 1) a disease of public health significance (AIDS, TB, etc.) or 2) the likelihood of the person becoming a public charge (i.e. the government having to care for them). Neither of these is likely in your wife's case, imo. They are looking for serious significant diseases such as major mental illnesses (schizophrenia, suicidal, etc.) or perhaps some horrendous degenerative disease. While I completely understand your worry, from what I have read I do not think they would refuse her for what appears to have been a relatively benign condition.

Best of luck , keep us posted.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:48 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
You are very welcome, this forum is here to help people, and if we are able to help you I am glad.

As far as state programs, you would have to check with the state you are in.

You were not dishonest with the insurance company - just tell them the further information, and I'm sure that will be fine. I'm sure many people make mistakes on the forms.

As far as your wife getting a green card, I have read the USCIS instructions to civil surgeons. Basically they have two concerns. 1) a disease of public health significance (AIDS, TB, etc.) or 2) the likelihood of the person becoming a public charge (i.e. the government having to care for them). Neither of these is likely in your wife's case, imo. They are looking for serious significant diseases such as major mental illnesses (schizophrenia, suicidal, etc.) or perhaps some horrendous degenerative disease. While I completely understand your worry, from what I have read I do not think they would refuse her for what appears to have been a relatively benign condition.

Best of luck , keep us posted.
Watch Micheal Moores' Sicko
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
No thanks, he's not for me.

The OP does not have the policy yet - it is not too late for him to straighten out any misunderstandings.

After it's purchased, probably wouldn't work out too well.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:37 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
He could do another one on working.
Call it Slavo.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, but I would like to stay with my company for a while as they are planning on starting my greencard process in a couple of months and it should not take more than a year for me to get greencard.

EB1 category then? It'll take longer otherwise...
Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
EB1 category then? It'll take longer otherwise...
It would be EB2 and most of my friends who filed under EB2 were able to get their GCs in less than one year. So, I was hoping that I will be lucky too. I heard it takes longer for people from India, China, and some other countries. I come from a country that has very few people in the US. Thanks.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:01 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
He could do another one on working.
Call it Slavo.

Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:41 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
The Red Cross would be buried in a flood of European donations for the "employed" here if only they knew how ludicrous the US "standards" are.

No, scratch that.

They don't like Americans.

Never mind.