Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance

Wikiposts

Health Insurance

Old Feb 11th 2008, 2:01 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance

Originally Posted by augigi

There is no advantage to lying on the forms, because
Health Insurance companies share information and all the health insurance comapnies know about his wife and her tumor already......
Old Feb 11th 2008, 2:39 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Health Insurance companies share information and all the health insurance comapnies know about his wife and her tumor already......
Yep Blue Cross told me this last week ,but I do go to a personal womans clinic that is for woman only and BC did not have access to their files and had to request for them to be sent.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:27 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Want2Move
That is what I was trying to tell in my previous post. For most of these services, you have to be a US citizen or at least a greencard holder. My wife and I do not have those, but my kids are US Citizens (born here). Hopefully we will have GC by next year (if not turned down by USCIS because of the health issue) and we may be eligible for some of those services. Thanks.
Your kids may be eligible for some programs that are income based ("means tested") because they are US citizens.
Even if you and wife get Green Cards (sorry, don't know your immigration story) as Permanent Residents you will not be eligible for much of anything until you have been PRs for at least 5 years.
The US gov't is not going to offer any quick fix for you, I'm afraid.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Your kids may be eligible for some programs that are income based ("means tested") because they are US citizens.
Even if you and wife get Green Cards (sorry, don't know your immigration story) as Permanent Residents you will not be eligible for much of anything until you have been PRs for at least 5 years.
The US gov't is not going to offer any quick fix for you, I'm afraid.
Illinois state health insurance IS for permanent residents - if his wife gets her green card, she would be eligible.

It isn't particularly cheap, but if noone else will insure her, or the price is astronomical, it would be the way to go.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:39 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Since a pituatary tumor/cyst is not a lymp node or thyroid condition, contact the insurance company and explain that you incorrectly answered the question and tell them that you will send a copy of the doctor's report to them to verify your wife's condition.

Since you were unclear whether it was the lymp system or not, you might be wrong and it is only a cyst. I have had one near by pituatary gland for almost 30 years and never have had to take medication for it.

Last edited by Rete; Feb 11th 2008 at 4:45 am. Reason: added info
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:49 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Illinois state health insurance IS for permanent residents - if his wife gets her green card, she would be eligible.

It isn't particularly cheap, but if noone else will insure her, or the price is astronomical, it would be the way to go.
Is it hard to get into the State plan? I know that ours has been closed in Oregon for quite a long time; they just reopened it and adjusted the income level down even further. They are only adding in the number of folk that have dropped out.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Time to find a new job with better health insurance benefits?
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Is it hard to get into the State plan? I know that ours has been closed in Oregon for quite a long time; they just reopened it and adjusted the income level down even further. They are only adding in the number of folk that have dropped out.
I don't believe there is an income limit in Illinois, not that I found anyway. It's just for people who are difficult/impossible to insure privately.

The OP would have to check out the details of course, but that is my understanding.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Time to find a new job with better health insurance benefits?
H-1B. They're in a tough spot.

ta, Tracy.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

H-1B. They're in a tough spot.

ta, Tracy.
transfer isn't as tough as a new H1 though...something to consider...
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Manc
She did not have insurance when she was diagnosed. She never had insurance in the US. This is the first time we are trying to get insurance for her. I am not saying it is ok to lie as the insurance companies may not have her record, but just an information.

I had insurance through school and kids were covered by medicaid/chips/all kids. Now I have a full-time job and kids are not qualified for any of those programs. We are trying to get a family plan for everybody. Thanks.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
transfer isn't as tough as a new H1 though...something to consider...
Thanks, but I would like to stay with my company for a while as they are planning on starting my greencard process in a couple of months and it should not take more than a year for me to get greencard.

Only thing I am worried about is how the USCIS treats our GC applications once they find out that my wife has tumor. Some of the guys at the immigration forum think that it should not be a problem and I am hoping for the best. Thanks.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tracym
I think your answers to the questions should be "NO" to the thyroid question, and "YES" to the tumor question. The pituitary and the thyroid interact, but the are different glands. Just my opinion however.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post carefully and giving me good advice. After I sent my forms to the insurance company, I felt like I made a mistake on my answers (I was not sure if I should say yes to thyroid question) and I also felt guilty for not answering YES to the tumor question. That was one of the reasons I posted my question here to get some advice.

Even though my address says Chicago, IL (I will have to update that soon), we are no longer in that area. I was a grad student there until the end of December. We recently moved to the West for a new job, but we still love Midwest very much and hope to move back there someday. Thanks again.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
Since a pituatary tumor/cyst is not a lymp node or thyroid condition, contact the insurance company and explain that you incorrectly answered the question and tell them that you will send a copy of the doctor's report to them to verify your wife's condition.

Since you were unclear whether it was the lymp system or not, you might be wrong and it is only a cyst. I have had one near by pituatary gland for almost 30 years and never have had to take medication for it.
Thank you so much for your advice. I will contact the insurance company and update that information. How would I go about finding if it is a tumor or cyst? Thanks.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Those of you who I was not able to address individually, I apreciate your concern, time and advice very much. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.