British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   health insurance... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/health-insurance-432169/)

Deedee13 Mar 4th 2007 3:56 pm

health insurance...

I have just read that u can’t apply for Medicare program for health insurance and social security supplement until u become citizen. Can anyone explain this to a simple bleach blond like myself. And whats the difference to medicare and medicaid??? And does this mean I am on my hubbys insurance when he retires and reaches an age that he gets medicare/caid and I am just a humble PR I am going to be without ins??

Sophia_S Mar 4th 2007 4:35 pm

Re: health insurance...

That's exactly what I have been wondering about because I'm on my hubbys Illinois State ins right now,but he seems to think I'll still have coverage through his when he retires but have to find out for sure........seeing as bits of me are trying to break down lately!
Just had shoulder surgery and paid the deductible of $100,ins. paid the rest,now my knee keeps popping out of place.....so I suppose that'll be the next............I swear I hit 50 and everything started falling to bits!!!......the very next day!!!!.........Sophia:blink:

DollyLlama Mar 4th 2007 4:45 pm

[QUOTE=Sophia_S;4481029] I swear I hit 50 and everything started falling to bits!!!......

My Doctor says everything starts going downhill at 30! :eek: :eek:

jumping doris Mar 4th 2007 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Sophia_S (Post 4481029)
That's exactly what I have been wondering about because I'm on my hubbys Illinois State ins right now,but he seems to think I'll still have coverage through his when he retires but have to find out for sure........seeing as bits of me are trying to break down lately!
Just had shoulder surgery and paid the deductible of $100,ins. paid the rest,now my knee keeps popping out of place.....so I suppose that'll be the next............I swear I hit 50 and everything started falling to bits!!!......the very next day!!!!.........Sophia:blink:

What is it about 50. The same happened to me. I feel like granny at the moment.
I am on my OH's ins and it is quite good. We are here on H1B and H4 visas but our GC application seems to be speeding through (that's probably jinxed it).
At the moment my visa doesn't allow me to work but I will work when I am allowed.
Now OH's company have decided that if partners work and their employer offers insurance then they have to use that instead. OK if the partners job is a good one with good health care but not otherwise.
I was only planning to look for a small job so I suppose if it doesn't come with health ins I will be OK and can stay on the company policy but who knows and as I have started falling to bits I need the best insurance I can get!

God only knows what happens when we retire. I suppose we should become citizens before then so we are eligible for medicare thingy but as citizens don't you become eligible for the draft. They will have sent all the young ones to whatever war is current and it will be our turn. Send all the 70 year olds, get rid of them on the streets of Basra or wherever and then they won't be a drain on the economy.

Could just go home I suppose.:thumbup:

Deedee13 Mar 4th 2007 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 4481071)
What is it about 50. The same happened to me. I feel like granny at the moment.
I am on my OH's ins and it is quite good. We are here on H1B and H4 visas but our GC application seems to be speeding through (that's probably jinxed it).
At the moment my visa doesn't allow me to work but I will work when I am allowed.
Now OH's company have decided that if partners work and their employer offers insurance then they have to use that instead. OK if the partners job is a good one with good health care but not otherwise.
I was only planning to look for a small job so I suppose if it doesn't come with health ins I will be OK and can stay on the company policy but who knows and as I have started falling to bits I need the best insurance I can get!

God only knows what happens when we retire. I suppose we should become citizens before then so we are eligible for medicare thingy but as citizens don't you become eligible for the draft. They will have sent all the young ones to whatever war is current and it will be our turn. Send all the 70 year olds, get rid of them on the streets of Basra or wherever and then they won't be a drain on the economy.

Could just go home I suppose.:thumbup:

well i had the advantage of having insurance in germany where i lived. You paid 10 euros every quarter and that did ur doc, and prescriptions were not expensive compared to here although we all moaned about them!!! So i had it better than the health service. Here frightens me to death. I sit down and want to get up and its like please someone get me a crane!! And i have aches didnt know could ache!!! Until i got to 40 (50 who u kidding) i thought the most painful thing was having my tonsils out - how silly of me. I didnt know i had kneecaps till 40 and at 41 my shoulder feels as though my ex is sticking pins in a voodoo doll. I need to know about this insurance stuff because when I get to 46 hubby is retiring, so I need to make sure the serious stuff is taken care off.

jumping doris Mar 4th 2007 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 4481092)
well i had the advantage of having insurance in germany where i lived. You paid 10 euros every quarter and that did ur doc, and prescriptions were not expensive compared to here although we all moaned about them!!! So i had it better than the health service. Here frightens me to death. I sit down and want to get up and its like please someone get me a crane!! And i have aches didnt know could ache!!! Until i got to 40 (50 who u kidding) i thought the most painful thing was having my tonsils out - how silly of me. I didnt know i had kneecaps till 40 and at 41 my shoulder feels as though my ex is sticking pins in a voodoo doll. I need to know about this insurance stuff because when I get to 46 hubby is retiring, so I need to make sure the serious stuff is taken care off.

I was fine until we moved here 15 months ago. When we lived in the UK I walked everywhere (about 10 miles a day), I did some dance classes and I was just so much fitter and lighter.
Now I walk the dog but everywhere else needs the car. Now I always park as far from the shop or whatever as I can and just ignore the strange looks.
Some people walk round the neighbourhood, doing all that power walking and wearing all the gear but I just couldn't bear to do that I would feel such a prat. But perhaps I would be a thin prat:D

Wintersong Mar 4th 2007 5:36 pm

Medicaid is for low income people whereas Medicare is for old people, in a nutshell.

Medicare is available for all who have worked in the US for 10 years. If you have been in the US for 5+ years as a green card holder, you can buy Medicare from the government.

Deedee13 Mar 4th 2007 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong (Post 4481158)
Medicaid is for low income people whereas Medicare is for old people, in a nutshell.

Medicare is available for all who have worked in the US for 10 years. If you have been in the US for 5+ years as a green card holder, you can buy Medicare from the government.

medicaid for low income - is this just for citizens or for GC holders too. Medicare, as wife of do I still count or is it just him?

As for the walking!! You dont need to do power walking, find a park. I go a couple of times a week and walk 8 miles the other days i lay on the couch eating chips and drinking coke saying out loud god my legs hurt!!!

Bob Mar 4th 2007 5:58 pm

One's for the donkey poor, the other's for the donkey old....in a nutshell...both are pretty shite.

Without stomping your 40 quarters worth of contribution, as a LPR, you won't be up to much, and if you become a citizen, you still won't be up to that much unless you've made the contributions...won't be cheap...

Keep working at walmart till the day you drop, like everyone else :D

mdyoung Mar 4th 2007 5:59 pm

Medicaid is health insurance coverage for low income people and it's state run with help from the Federal government.

http://tinyurl.com/2eqh3a

Medicare is totally Federal run.

You don't have to be a U.S. citizen to be covered by Medicare. If you are at least age 65 and earn the 40 credits from Medicare/Social Security covered employment or your spouse has earned the 40 credits or you are entitled to Social Security Disablity Insurance benefits for 24 months, you can be covered by Medicare and Part A will be free. You can buy Medicare Part A and B if you have been a permanant resident for 5 years and are at least age 65.

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0600801006
HI 00801.006 Requirements for Entitlement - Regular Insured Provision

HI 00801.131 Eligibility for Premium-HI
https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0600801131

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0600805005
HI 00805.005 Eligibility for SMI

The one thing I'm not sure about is that states can pick up the Medicare premiums for low income people, but not sure if you can qualify for the Buy-In
without being a U.S. citizen.

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0600801139
HI 00801.139 QMB Provisions

Bob Mar 4th 2007 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 4481200)

As for the walking!! You dont need to do power walking, find a park. I go a couple of times a week and walk 8 miles the other days i lay on the couch eating chips and drinking coke saying out loud god my legs hurt!!!

sod that...go to the mall in the mornings before the shops open, and walk the mall with all the other old codgers...AC in the summer, heated in the winter...lovely :D

jumping doris Mar 4th 2007 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 4481200)
medicaid for low income - is this just for citizens or for GC holders too. Medicare, as wife of do I still count or is it just him?

I walk the dog twice a day and probably do about 6 miles, sometimes more.
I am very lucky because we have hundreds of acres of wild woodland and meadows just across the road.Loads of big hills, great for the rear and thighs .
If I want to walk fast, though, no- one walks with me because they can't keep up (wasn't a problem back home). If I walk with the friends I have made we walk at a snails pace because they are either old or fat.
I like to walk with other people for the company and I have made some really good friends but at the expense of my svelte figure.:D
So then I come home and sometimes do another 3 or 4 miles on the walking machine!!!! which I hate.
I just want walking to be a part of everyday life. How hard is that....very, where I live.

jumping doris Mar 4th 2007 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4481240)
sod that...go to the mall in the mornings before the shops open, and walk the mall with all the other old codgers...AC in the summer, heated in the winter...lovely :D

Less of this old codger stuff!

Bob Mar 4th 2007 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 4482373)
Less of this old codger stuff!

you ain't seen how spritely some of 'em old codgers are :D

Deedee13 Mar 4th 2007 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4482439)
you ain't seen how spritely some of 'em old codgers are :D

I have not seen anyone ride a bike since i was here???? AND if i walk at the mall i will need the straight jacket people behind me because I will commit harri karri probably outside some store that has a doll dressed in size 2 clothes. No give me the PARKS!!! where all the other fatties go. I know what u mean about walking at a snails pace. And then they yak. yak yak.