Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health care in the USA

Health care in the USA

Old Nov 23rd 2015, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

into_thewild is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health care in the USA

i moved from the UK to the U.S a month and a half ago. I am a dual citizen but had previously lived in the UK for all of my life.
I am currently studying here in San Francisco in a course which lasts for three months but my stay may turn out longer if I manage to get a job after.
I suffer from asthma and although I brought several inhalers prescribed to me in the UK with me to the States I will at some point need new ones. I checked but a U.S. Pharmacy will not take a UK prescription .
I was just wondering what my best option is? I need a prescription for the inhaler and I'm aware I will need to visit a doctor which I understand could cost a fair bit.
Does anyone have any idea of a ball park figure to go see a doctor and hopefully get a repeat prescription for an inhaler? Does anyone have any recommendations of doctors in the SF area?
Any advice is appreciated.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 8:25 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health care in the USA

Are you studying as part of a University or established school? They will likely have available (or even possible a mandate) that you have health insurance while you are in the US. They may even offer a very low cost policy that you can get to cover you while here, or a campus health service that can allow you to meet a doctor for a minor fee.

I would note that coming to the US for 3 months without insurance is not recommended. You are crossing the street and get hit by a car and you are looking at a six-digit bill from the hospital. Some level of cover is a good idea, and that may cover some routine care like visiting a doctor for a prescription.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 9:46 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Adding to what was posted just above, if you find yourself without insurance, a quick trip to a public clinic should be able to get you that prescription without too much cost.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Adding to what was posted just above, if you find yourself without insurance, a quick trip to a public clinic should be able to get you that prescription without too much cost.
........ however a more severe illness might mean thousands of dollars of bills!

The OP should be looking at getting some form of health insurance. Staying for just three months or so might even have been covered by travel insurance. Bit late for that now I know.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

nick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud of

I would certainly consider getting yourself covered....what would happen in an emergency?... you would be left owing thousands! I am not sure how Obama care works... but its meant to help people on low incomes..

Can you not buy the medicine over the counter did you ask pharmacy? there are a lot they sell over the counter in the US which they don't in the UK
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to stay longer then you should buy health insurance. If I remember rightly our inhalers cost about $200 a pop without insurance.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

San Francisco Health Network Do you need a primary care doctor or provider? - San Francisco Health Network
You should have health insurance. Did no one advise you to make provision for that ?
Old Nov 24th 2015, 3:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

As a dual citizen you've been filing your annual taxes returns, I presume. ..... So I assume you also know that failing to buy ACA-approved health insurance attracts a tax "fine".

For 2015 this "fine" is 2% of your income or the annual cost of a bronze ACA plan, whichever is greater.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 5:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
........ however a more severe illness might mean thousands of dollars of bills!

The OP should be looking at getting some form of health insurance. Staying for just three months or so might even have been covered by travel insurance. Bit late for that now I know.
Nothing a bankruptcy can't fix if it's too much.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:08 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

try using this Glaxosmithkline program to get access to free inhalers.

https://www.bridgestoaccess.com/

otherwise use goodrx.com to see the cost of the medication you need. Search for a respiratory therapist in your area who may be able to help you get the prescription.

let us know how you get on...and don't leave it until it becomes an emergency please xx
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:21 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a little tale as to why insurance is so important. 24-year old spent 5 days in hospital with life-threatening issue but didn't need surgery. No insurance and the bill came to $1,000,000.

https://upvoted.com/2015/11/24/redditor-receives-1-million-dollar-hospital-charge-for-5-day-stay-with-no-surgery/
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Here is a little tale as to why insurance is so important. 24-year old spent 5 days in hospital with life-threatening issue but didn't need surgery. No insurance and the bill came to $1,000,000. ....
On the assumption that he hadn't reached his 24th birthday without realizing he was a hemophiliac (I can't imagine a boy reaching adulthood without having had several bumps and scrapes sufficient to expose his "severe" hemophilia), the individual in that case is an idiot, as well as a hemophiliac, because while the condition is rare, it is also well known, and why anyone with a life-threatening medical condition would allow medical insurance to lapse is a mystery.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
On the assumption that he hadn't reached his 24th birthday without realizing he was a hemophiliac (I can't imagine a boy reaching adulthood without having had several bumps and scrapes sufficient to expose his "severe" hemophilia), the individual in that case is an idiot, as well as a hemophiliac, because while the condition is rare, it is also well known, and why anyone with a life-threatening medical condition would allow medical insurance to lapse is a mystery.
Sounds like he has acquired hemophilia which while rare isn't the same as congenital form and can occur anytime in one's life without warning and sudden.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Sounds like he has acquired hemophilia which while rare isn't the same as congenital form and can occur anytime in one's life without warning and sudden.
I hadn't realized that there is an "acquired" hemophilia.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I once listened to an interview with a hemophiliac who had to change jobs every 5 years or so because the group insurance he would get through his jobs had a maximum payout of $1 million.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.