Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Care.......how do you afford it?!

Health Care.......how do you afford it?!

Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Care.......how do you afford it?!

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Did you qualify for the free part of Medicare then Tony?
I do not think so. As I said my Medicare deduction is taken from my Social Security prior to the payment being made into my bank. That cost is $88.50/month but I do not see it.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

People talking about retirement ought to consider that tax in the UK is higher than here. I am approx $5000/year to the good here in the States which covers all our medical costs (prescriptions excl) for the year with some left over. You then have to balance free prescription costs + waiting lists to the USA. In my case the USA wins.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:54 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tony126
People talking about retirement ought to consider that tax in the UK is higher than here. I am approx $5000/year to the good here in the States which covers all our medical costs (prescriptions excl) for the year with some left over. You then have to balance free prescription costs + waiting lists to the USA. In my case the USA wins.
Every person has different scenarios and theres not a one size fits all. Some people will definitely be better off in the USA while other probably in the UK...a lot of it will depend on how healthy you are both pre and after retirement of course.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:59 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think so. As I said my Medicare deduction is taken from my Social Security prior to the payment being made into my bank. That cost is $88.50/month but I do not see it.

Nope -- you are definitely getting the "Part A" free, presumably thorough your spouse. Otherwise, the bill for this part alone is up to $400/month.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

aznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about after retirement, but I certainly prefer the health care I receive now, I am very lucky of course and am in a great company health scheme. I definately prefer the more modern hospitals and the lack of waiting lists.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Nope -- you are definitely getting the "Part A" free, presumably thorough your spouse. Otherwise, the bill for this part alone is up to $400/month.
Always willing to learn as I do not fully understand the system although I knew I was "covered' by/through my wife I interpreted that as being fully paid up. I think it has been said that I am one of the few BEs' that unknowingly at the time, came out smelling of roses by marrying a USA widow who had worked all her life.
AWP is right when he says the individual scenario differs when you way up the pros and cons. In my case I am in front at the moment.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

We can't afford it...what we were paying, went up $40 but last year we had the top end healthcare, and this year it is bare bones minimum and utterly shite, to have had the same medical package would have been $200 a month hike...eyeballs stayed the same, teeth double and the coverage also halved.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:52 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Always willing to learn as I do not fully understand the system although I knew I was "covered' by/through my wife I interpreted that as being fully paid up. I think it has been said that I am one of the few BEs' that unknowingly at the time, came out smelling of roses by marrying a USA widow who had worked all her life.
AWP is right when he says the individual scenario differs when you way up the pros and cons. In my case I am in front at the moment.
Without your spouse's contribution, I believe you need at least 5 years of permanent residence before you can even enroll. Then, you are charged around $400/month for the "Part A" coverage unless you have paid 40 quarters of SS contributions. It is a big issue for those who opt to sponsor their elderly parents to come over. If they hit 65 and are not eligible to enroll, you're living on a prayer! Although I believe their are sometimes solutions to be found in local state schemes.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 6:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

In Colorado you can be in a Group of 1 if you are self employed. There may be Groups you can join to get better rates.

Remember even if you have 40 quarters and qualify, you still need to save for the first 3 pints in Medicare A.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:00 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone put the money they would be spending on health care insurance into a savings account & then use that to 'private pay'? I was thinking about this the other day. We can't afford health care insurance & we are ineligible right now anyway. Just a thought.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Partystar
Does anyone put the money they would be spending on health care insurance into a savings account & then use that to 'private pay'? I was thinking about this the other day. We can't afford health care insurance & we are ineligible right now anyway. Just a thought.
Better rate of return paying the Credit Card down.

Logic suggests that you should get a better price when paying cash, but the system is not logical.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Logic suggests that you should get a better price when paying cash, but the system is not logical.
That and the hospitals etc have special rates with insurance companies that you wouldn't get if you didnt' have insurance...
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:54 am
Just Joined

shamroxx is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband got his Permanent Residency last spring. It would be ridiculously expensive to add him to our policy at work (it would cost us personally $974 a month for both!).

We're looking at options now.

Am I correct in assuming he has zero coverage under NHS while he's in the States? Is there a point where, because he's been living out of Scotland for so long, he essentially becomes no longer eligible for NHS benefits in the UK?

HELP!

(and thanks)
Old Jan 30th 2006, 12:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by shamroxx
My husband got his Permanent Residency last spring. It would be ridiculously expensive to add him to our policy at work (it would cost us personally $974 a month for both!).

We're looking at options now.

Am I correct in assuming he has zero coverage under NHS while he's in the States? Is there a point where, because he's been living out of Scotland for so long, he essentially becomes no longer eligible for NHS benefits in the UK?

HELP!

(and thanks)
The NHS is based on residency, so if you guys moved back to the UK, he would be covered from day one...if not a resident, technically he shouldn't be covered...but they don't usually ask...but it's risky, not much you can do about head to blighty for repairs if he fell down the stairs and broke his hip for instance, which would cost oh so many $k's without medical insurance over here.

You could probably look into getting third party type medical insurance coverage that would be a lot less than that, but then again, depends on age and all that fun stuff.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 12:48 am
Just Joined

shamroxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
The NHS is based on residency, so if you guys moved back to the UK, he would be covered from day one...if not a resident, technically he shouldn't be covered...but they don't usually ask...but it's risky, not much you can do about head to blighty for repairs if he fell down the stairs and broke his hip for instance, which would cost oh so many $k's without medical insurance over here.

You could probably look into getting third party type medical insurance coverage that would be a lot less than that, but then again, depends on age and all that fun stuff.
Thanks -- I was afraid of that! We've got someone looking into solid, won't-break-the-bank plans for us now.