Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Care for foreigners

Health Care for foreigners

Old May 21st 2011, 12:12 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Care for foreigners

Originally Posted by shining light
I know this is a very broad question and depends on age, previous health issues and probably which State you live in, but can anyone give me a "rough" idea of how much it might cost?

Say a Male, about 50 yrs, non smoker, no previous conditions

and lets say a Female, as above but with a previous condition, maybe MS but which is in remission.

No High Risk sports etc.

Are there any who have similar (not the same) circumstances who can give me an idea of costs as I have no idea except that it is expensive..eg $300pm........$500pm.......$1,000pm.

Thanks
I'd say around $1,000 pcm (I have had COBRA for 2 of us at this sort of cost). Note that a private plan (as opposed to being part of an employers group plan) may bar pre-existing conditions and may not cover any medical care associated with the MS.
Old May 21st 2011, 12:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is a very broad question and depends on age, previous health issues and probably which State you live in, but can anyone give me a "rough" idea of how much it might cost?

Say a Male, about 50 yrs, non smoker, no previous conditions

and lets say a Female, as above but with a previous condition, maybe MS but which is in remission.

No High Risk sports etc.

Are there any who have similar (not the same) circumstances who can give me an idea of costs as I have no idea except that it is expensive..eg $300pm........$500pm.......$1,000pm.

Thanks
Anything from nothing to $1500 a month...really depends on what you are comfortable with for deductibles, split percentages of pay, co-pays, max level of cover etc.

You could pay $50 a month, but not much use to you if you can't afford a $10K deductible before insurance kicks in.
Old May 21st 2011, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

shining light is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Bob and Cape Blue but are we talking per person or per couple??
(Either way, that's more than my mortgage was).
Old May 21st 2011, 12:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depends on the policy, could be per person, or a family plan.

It's really not a simple question with a simple answer I'm afraid.

For perspective, when I had my insurance when I was working, I paid $65 a month for a family plan, including dental, it was $10 more than for a single person.

When I got laid off, COBRA bill for the missus and I, for just basic medical insurance was $1500 a month as my wife was pregnant at the time.
Old May 21st 2011, 1:22 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
It's impossible to say since it will vary by state as well, but $800-$1000 month each matches similar people I know.
Old May 21st 2011, 2:40 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

its not just about trying to avoid illness. ive never seen a doctor in the us (apart from ob-gyns when i had a baby). But i fainted 2 months ago in my own bathroom - and managed to fall against a wall and cut my head open. 10 metal staples in my head care of 5 hours in the ER came to around $2600. we were in the middle of moving jobs and insurances at the same time and we are having the devil of a job getting it sorted. We are covered but the insurance company keep denying the claim for silly reasosn and we have to go back an explain again and they agree with us - and then deny once more. The employer involved has said we are covered too - but we still have $2600 bills arriving every few weeks as its not sorted yet.
Old May 21st 2011, 3:56 am
Just Joined

scouseva is just really nicescouseva is just really nicescouseva is just really nicescouseva is just really nicescouseva is just really nicescouseva is just really nicescouseva is just really nicescouseva is just really nice

Oh boy, do I have a story....basically, found out 3 months before I emigrated here that I was diabetic. No problem for first five years, as I had good coverage. After I was laid off and became self-employed had insurance for another 3 years, then premiums started rising to $750 a month, with a $5k deductible and 80% coverage.

Then I began having brief hospitalizations (not all diabetes related, one for example was an allergy) and so my total health care costs were becoming approx $20k per year. Then when premiums hit $1000 a month, while my mortgage was only $850, (2005) I couldn't afford coverage. That's when 12 months later, was admitted for minor surgery and resulted in emergency quadruple heart bypass. I was absolutely upfront about not able to pay, but even after kicking me out after 3 days , I still received a bill for $300,000. This was eventually written off by the hospital, but still had over $50k in doctors bills. They started to come after my house and assets, so my attorney advised my to file bankruptcy. So I became a deadbeat.

So thats how you do it over here, either don't get sick, and make sure you die in a well insured accident, or stay rich (and I mean RICH) and pay for insurance, or accept that you have to screw the system, and everyone who pays in, plus the govt and doctors, and become a deadbeat. I estimate to have paid over $150,000 in bills, have run up debts/insurance claims of nearly $500,000, and the quality of care was not much better than Carry On Doctor.

After all these years, I still cannot understand how or why this system exists.
As much as I love the USA, having seen the NHS first hand and the US system, I tell all my family back home not to "knock" the NHS, they don't know just how good they have it.
Old May 21st 2011, 4:51 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

The $1,000 was for a couple - but as it was Cobra we probably benefitted from the group discount of my previous employer.
Old May 21st 2011, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

shining light is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW!! Thanks everyone, some amazing examples/experiences.

Scouseva, I agree with you, how can a system like this be allowed in what is one of the richest/civilised countries in the World. That an honest, hard working person could end up Bankrupt as a result of an accident or a health problem is beyond belief. I hope your situation is improving and you are bang on about the NHS, it isn't alwas good (my Father was not treated well when he developed cancer and by the time they did something, it was too late....into hospital on the Tuesay, dead on the Wednesday) but at least it is free.

BOB: $65 a month for a family plan and then $1500 pm for two of you on Cobra (one of the cheaper alternatives I think someone said??).

MsElui: Are you sure those staples were metal, could they have been Gold perhaps? $2600!!

Totally unrelated, but anyone know why I can't use the Underline, Italics, etc etc? They just don't seem to want to work on my computer and everything looks the same as another forum I use.
Old May 21st 2011, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

bestblonde1 is just really nicebestblonde1 is just really nicebestblonde1 is just really nicebestblonde1 is just really nicebestblonde1 is just really nicebestblonde1 is just really nicebestblonde1 is just really nicebestblonde1 is just really nice

I was just wondering what those who have successfully moved to the USA did as regards PHC.

Is it expensive?

Are there alternatives?

What did you do?
yea dont get ill mate i used to ave insurance but it went with my job and i was in hospital lastnite for 4 hrs with bloody strep throat which then lead to tonsilitis lol. cant wait to see the bill!!
Old May 21st 2011, 2:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

BOB: $65 a month for a family plan and then $1500 pm for two of you on Cobra (one of the cheaper alternatives I think someone said??).
COBRA is basically what you get to continue your previous medical insurance if you get laid off from a job with a plan. You pay your share, plus what the employer paid, plus a couple percent administrative fee.

So you can see how much the medical insurance can be subsidised by the employer...and why if you have good insurance, or a pre-existing condition, the employer can have quite a large hold over you, especially if you have children.
Old May 21st 2011, 2:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by bestblonde1
yea dont get ill mate i used to ave insurance but it went with my job and i was in hospital lastnite for 4 hrs with bloody strep throat which then lead to tonsilitis lol. cant wait to see the bill!!
Don't worry, if you're lucky, the shock might kill you
Old May 21st 2011, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Shining Light, I have MS and have been in remission for around 10years, and I can tell you that your wife will not be able to get a private policy that will be worth a damn. If you can actually get a policy (at this time insurance companies can and do deny you if you have a pre-existing condition), it will cost you megabucks and it may not even cover the MS. The insurance company could approve her, but they could say that they will exclude any claims related to the MS, which obviously wouldn't be worth shit for her.

Some states have insurance available for those that are uninsurable - she will likely fall into this category if she has MS. However, the monthly premiums alone could easily run into the $700 and higher (at least they do in my state for a 33yr old.) and that $700 doesn't include co-pays you will pay for dr's visits, testing, hospitalizations and prescriptions. Be aware that you may have to be resident in that state for so many months before you can actually qualify for the insurance coverage.

If she has MS, she needs to think very long and very hard about the health insurance problem before coming here. The only reason it has not been a problem with me so far is because I have always had insurance coverage through my employer or my husband's employer - I have never had a lapse in coverage - and with group insurance, they cannot deny you a policy.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; May 21st 2011 at 3:03 pm.
Old May 21st 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scouseva
Oh boy, do I have a story....basically, found out 3 months before I emigrated here that I was diabetic. No problem for first five years, as I had good coverage. After I was laid off and became self-employed had insurance for another 3 years, then premiums started rising to $750 a month, with a $5k deductible and 80% coverage.

Then I began having brief hospitalizations (not all diabetes related, one for example was an allergy) and so my total health care costs were becoming approx $20k per year. Then when premiums hit $1000 a month, while my mortgage was only $850, (2005) I couldn't afford coverage. That's when 12 months later, was admitted for minor surgery and resulted in emergency quadruple heart bypass. I was absolutely upfront about not able to pay, but even after kicking me out after 3 days , I still received a bill for $300,000. This was eventually written off by the hospital, but still had over $50k in doctors bills. They started to come after my house and assets, so my attorney advised my to file bankruptcy. So I became a deadbeat.

So thats how you do it over here, either don't get sick, and make sure you die in a well insured accident, or stay rich (and I mean RICH) and pay for insurance, or accept that you have to screw the system, and everyone who pays in, plus the govt and doctors, and become a deadbeat. I estimate to have paid over $150,000 in bills, have run up debts/insurance claims of nearly $500,000, and the quality of care was not much better than Carry On Doctor.

After all these years, I still cannot understand how or why this system exists.
As much as I love the USA, having seen the NHS first hand and the US system, I tell all my family back home not to "knock" the NHS, they don't know just how good they have it.
You are a long way from being alone in the filing of bankrupcy, thousands of people every year do the same due to medical bills. In Virginia insurance for our family with four teens including vision and dental with minimal co-pay is $1000 per month, we had the option of a South Carolina based insurance and the same or less coverage was $1500 per month.
Old May 22nd 2011, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps staying in the UK but having regular long vacations (ie a month per year?) in the US would be your best option.

Good suggestion but not if i'm looking at moving to the USA on an E2.

There are many Americans who can't afford healthcare, what do they do?
If they need dental work carried out, perhaps they are in a lot of pain or break a leg, surely they must be able to get some sort of treatment...can't they?
Private insurance for catastrophe is not monumentally expensive, and as self-employed, you can structure a lot of these 'benefits' as a cost of business.

Additionally, if you are young and healthy, with no chronic problems, then simply self pay. All practices are geared for the occasional cash payer, and urgent care facilities will treat little things for about $100. Medicines like antibiotics are to be had at Walmart for not much.

We had additional medical cover in the UK - NHS isn't the golden mecca of healthcare.

My husband went staff here in USA simply for the health care, but since we are still young, healthy, and no chronic problems, we'll move to private pay healthcare and he'll go contract.

Don't let health care stop you from moving to the USA. Additionally, you or SO could work part time in Barnes & Noble, or Starbucks - they offer medical care for part time folk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.