British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Health Care for foreigners (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/health-care-foreigners-717696/)

shining light May 19th 2011 10:05 pm

Health Care for foreigners

I was just wondering what those who have successfully moved to the USA did as regards PHC.

Is it expensive?

Are there alternatives?

What did you do?

Octang Frye May 19th 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Health Care for foreigners

Don't get sick.

Rose tea May 19th 2011 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by shining light (Post 9375950)
Is it expensive?

Yes.

Are there alternatives?
Bankruptcy, I suppose.

What did you do?
Purchased health coverage.

avanutria May 19th 2011 10:34 pm

Is it expensive?

Yes.

Are there alternatives?

Not other than staying healthy or bankruptcy. And unfortunately we're not joking.

What did you do?

We took a calculated risk. I was applying for work at a company with excellent health coverage. We looked into private policies but couldn't really afford them, so we were as careful as possible for our first nine months here. After that I managed to get the job and we now have insurance. But for the first nine months, we avoided activities like skiing, didn't go to the dentist, and didn't go to the doctor. Fortunately we did not get seriously ill or have any accidents in that period. But we are healthy and had no children to consider. It's not a route you should take unless you're willing to face the consequences of your gamble.

Bob May 19th 2011 10:44 pm

Spend a lot of money, or get a job that offers it...the alternative would be not to move here.

Don't under estimate the impact of life here without it...it's a massive stresser, even with it, it can be quite stressful and depressing.

meauxna May 19th 2011 10:50 pm

I was just wondering what those who have successfully moved to the USA did as regards PHC.

Is it expensive?

Are there alternatives?

What did you do?

You're looking at the E-2/Investor.. you would be essentially self-employed.

One option for your situation is to have your spouse work for an employer who provides health insurance, so that you could get in the group plan.

The others have made some good suggestions. Individual policies can be insanely expensive.

shining light May 19th 2011 11:39 pm

OK everyone, thanks for your answers. Not what I wanted to hear but what I expected to hear.

The wife is starting to grind her teeth now because the UK is looking like the better option, NHS (not always great but free), and not having to worry about getting kicked out of the country. Part of me still fancies the U.S. though.

avanutria May 20th 2011 3:10 pm

Perhaps staying in the UK but having regular long vacations (ie a month per year?) in the US would be your best option. You could get travel insurance in that case.

shining light May 20th 2011 9:31 pm

Perhaps staying in the UK but having regular long vacations (ie a month per year?) in the US would be your best option.

Good suggestion but not if i'm looking at moving to the USA on an E2.

There are many Americans who can't afford healthcare, what do they do?
If they need dental work carried out, perhaps they are in a lot of pain or break a leg, surely they must be able to get some sort of treatment...can't they?

Bob May 20th 2011 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by shining light (Post 9378053)

If they need dental work carried out, perhaps they are in a lot of pain or break a leg, surely they must be able to get some sort of treatment...can't they?

They can get emergency treatment...they just get billed for it later, unless very poor.

People go bankrupt.

Rose tea May 20th 2011 9:40 pm

There are many Americans who can't afford healthcare, what do they do? If they need dental work carried out, perhaps they are in a lot of pain or break a leg, surely they must be able to get some sort of treatment...can't they?

Yes, there are many here who can't afford health care. I keep hearing the figure of 47 million uninsured being thrown around, not sure how up-to-date that is though - and of course not everyone who's uninsured CAN'T afford health care (though most can't afford to pay catastrophic events).

There are free clinics available and also services such as Medicaid and COBRA that enable people to get health care when they can't afford it (thought you would not be eligible for any of this as far as I know). However, many people who are low income have 'too much' money to qualify for these services, or they don't qualify because of various technicalities. Those people do what they can. Friend of mine who was between insurers for few weeks got very unlucky and is still paying off hospital bills from a car accident. Sometimes you can just hope for the best and avoid risky situations as best as possible, like avanturia said.

Bob May 20th 2011 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Rose tea (Post 9378076)
Yes, there are many here who can't afford health care. I keep hearing the figure of 47 million uninsured being thrown around, not sure how up-to-date that is though - and of course not everyone who's uninsured CAN'T afford health care (though most can't afford to pay catastrophic events).

It's 65M without insurance these days, but it's the problem with those who are under insured who probably suffer the most.

meauxna May 20th 2011 10:06 pm

There's a difference between health care and health insurance though.

Giantaxe May 20th 2011 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Rose tea (Post 9378076)
There are free clinics available and also services such as Medicaid and COBRA that enable people to get health care when they can't afford it

Only a handful of states have Medicaid coverage for childless adults. It really isn't anything approaching blanket coverage for low-income people. COBRA is merely to continue health insurance provided by one's employer after you cease to be employed, but it will cost you the total premium previously paid by you and your employer, plus a service charge. Many people who are made unemployed simply can't afford the premiums and end up joining the ranks of the uninsured.

shining light May 21st 2011 12:03 am

I know this is a very broad question and depends on age, previous health issues and probably which State you live in, but can anyone give me a "rough" idea of how much it might cost?

Say a Male, about 50 yrs, non smoker, no previous conditions

and lets say a Female, as above but with a previous condition, maybe MS but which is in remission.

No High Risk sports etc.

Are there any who have similar (not the same) circumstances who can give me an idea of costs as I have no idea except that it is expensive..eg $300pm........$500pm.......$1,000pm.

Thanks